Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969037 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5715 on: October 30, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »

Why have I not heard of this before?
This video treats me like an idiot. No need for the patronising fearmongering. Just say what's going on really it's not that hard.
But if they don't patronize us, how will they tell us what to think?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: October 30, 2013, 09:26:32 pm »

*sigh*

I'm not cut out for working life.

I thought I was doing great.  I've put in a shitload of effort.  I think I've done a damn fine job with the circumstances I was given.  But I still have this sick feeling that I'm getting in a bunch of trouble tomorrow, mostly for stuff beyond my control.  Because our customer makes everything as difficult as it possibly can be (when customs is hard enough to deal with...) and shows no mercy when the unreasonableness of their demands and poor planning and structure (which they expect us to make up for) come back to bite them.  My new co-workers have been warning me that the job is composed of no-win situations, and now I'm seeing it.

Hopefully this is just a single bad episode.  Something that might happen once in a while.  But I'm not sure :/   This job doesn't make me horribly depressed like the last one did.  Every day I felt like I was just drudging through shit and waiting to die.  Unfortunately, it seems I've traded in quiet desperation and gnawing depression for shitloads of raw, frantic stress.  The feelings of triumph from successfully moving on and the exhilaration of facing new challenges are starting to wear off, and thoughts about what state I'm going to be in in a couple years are beginning to set in.

At least I'm getting paid more.  In capitalist America, that's all that matters, right?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:30:19 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5717 on: October 30, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »

*sigh*

I thought I was doing great.  I've put in a shitload of effort.  I think I've done a damn fine job with the circumstances I was given.  But I still have this sick feeling that I'm getting in a bunch of trouble tomorrow, mostly for stuff beyond my control.  Because our customer makes everything as difficult as it possibly can be (when customs is hard enough to deal with...) and shows no mercy when the unreasonableness of their demands and poor planning and structure (which they expect us to make up for) come back to bite them.  My new co-workers have been warning me that the job is composed of no-win situations, and now I'm seeing it.

Hopefully this is just a single bad episode.  Something that might happen once in a while.  But I'm not sure :/   This job doesn't make me horribly depressed like the last one did.  Every day I felt like I was just drudging through shit and waiting to die.  Unfortunately, it seems I've traded in quiet desperation and gnawing depression for shitloads of raw, frantic stress.  The feelings of triumph from successfully moving on and the exhilaration of facing new challenges are starting to wear off, and thoughts about what state I'm going to be in in a couple years are beginning to set in.

At least I'm getting paid more.  In capitalist America, that's all that matters, right?
Depends. Do you like money? I'm not being facetious. If you think you enjoy the benefits of more money plus a possibility of a higher position more then you dislike the stresses of the job, then you must stay. If you don't, well then, I don't imagine it would be hard to find a more laid-back, more poorly-paying job.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: October 30, 2013, 09:38:53 pm »

*sigh*

Depends. Do you like money? I'm not being facetious. If you think you enjoy the benefits of more money plus a possibility of a higher position more then you dislike the stresses of the job, then you must stay. If you don't, well then, I don't imagine it would be hard to find a more laid-back, more poorly-paying job.

If I didn't have a family to provide for, I would probably be homeless, NEET, or living cheap on a part-time income.  But I have a diabetic kid and a spouse who racked up a shitload of student loans.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5719 on: October 31, 2013, 01:15:29 am »

*sigh*

If I didn't have a family to provide for, I would probably be homeless, NEET, or living cheap on a part-time income.  But I have a diabetic kid and a spouse who racked up a shitload of student loans.

only thing stopping me from doing so is that tricking the government into giving me enough money to tell society to go fuck itself as i'm living off its taxes anyway is more effort than actually working the job

inertia!

also i'm planning to move to norway or someplace anyway so i need this stuff in my cv so i don't get kicked out post-haste. they have better taxes to be living off and then there's the petrodollars so y'know

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5720 on: October 31, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »

I re-watched Monster house with my family for Halloween, The movie isn't scary but it reminded me of the PS2 game... I will never escape its clutches, I am doomed to remember "jump scares for kids"* for the rest of my life!

*Read as Monster House, the PS2 game.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5721 on: November 01, 2013, 06:43:03 pm »

My Logitech speakers are picking up radio broadcasts from NPR and Fox News. Two things wrong with that. One, they're hooked up to my computer, which is both streaming some Nostalgia Critic episodes and downloading some Japanese beat-em-ups. Two, they're not designed to pick up radio signals of any kind. I'm somewhat disturbed by the presence of gremlins in my speakers as a result of these turns of events.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5722 on: November 01, 2013, 06:44:47 pm »

Pretty much anything with wires can pick up ambient signals under the right conditions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5723 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:27 pm »

My Logitech speakers are picking up radio broadcasts from NPR and Fox News. Two things wrong with that. One, they're hooked up to my computer, which is both streaming some Nostalgia Critic episodes and downloading some Japanese beat-em-ups. Two, they're not designed to pick up radio signals of any kind. I'm somewhat disturbed by the presence of gremlins in my speakers as a result of these turns of events.
Wrap the cables around some ferrite rings.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5724 on: November 01, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »

Unshielded cables do that. My speakers buzz and crackle and sometimes sound like alien speech so I just turn 'em off when I don't use them.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5725 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:54 pm »

I've no idea what ferrite rings are or where I can get some.

Unshielded cables do that. My speakers buzz and crackle and sometimes sound like alien speech so I just turn 'em off when I don't use them.
If by unshielded you mean I should stop holding my finger on the volume dial as somehow that causes my speakers to pick up Fox News Radio then I'm all ears.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: November 01, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »

it's the sheath of the cable. Guitar cables are shielded specifically so they don't pick up radio waves. That's what a radio antenna is - a long piece of metal. The shielding blocks the  radio waves from reaching the metal and transmitting the sound to the speakers.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: November 01, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »

I've no idea what ferrite rings are or where I can get some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead
Wikipedia delivers. For precautionary measures you'd use beads, but if you know you're having a problem then I'd recommend ferrite rings, since they're more effective at preventing EM interference.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: November 01, 2013, 07:28:43 pm »

"Yeah, you know how I told you I could give you a ride next Saturday?
While, I can't. But I'll tell you how to get there using public transportation, it's super easy!"

So now I have to do scary public transportation through a scary city with transfers and stuff. I literally have to go from one end of the city to the other, scary end of the city. I was also trying to convince other students to go with me, but there's no way that's going to happen now that I don't have the ability to give anyone a ride >:( Seriously though, I've never used public transportation on my own before. I'm definitely going to die.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:08 pm »

It's nice and safe. Just don't make eye contact with anyone; they might turn you to stone.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 380 381 [382] 383 384 ... 1420