Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1982372 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5265 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:11 pm »

A continuing resolution is a type of appropriations legislation used by the United States Congress to fund government agencies if a formal appropriations bill has not been signed into law by the end of the Congressional fiscal year. The legislation takes the form of a joint resolution, and provides funding for existing federal programs at current, reduced, or expanded levels.
Basically, the budget time ran out.

The house republicans saw this as an opportunity, and basically said "If you don't stop Obamacare from coming into effect, we will allow the government to shut down".

The democrats/Obama said "A) This isn't the place to try to ram that through, B) If we do let you do whatever you want with threats like this whenever you feel like it, you can get pretty much whatever you want, and C) If you do shut the government down you will be blamed politically we will be unharmed. So why would we negotiate with you on this?"

Honestly, if I was in the democrats position I would do about the same thing. Negotiating against crazy threats like this gives you nothing (as has been seen time and time again), while actually forcing the republicans to act puts huge pressure on them (causing the schism between tea party and more fiscal republicans to widen) for no real gain besides showing they will shut down the government if they don't get exactly what they want.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: October 01, 2013, 03:25:59 pm »

A continuing resolution is a type of appropriations legislation used by the United States Congress to fund government agencies if a formal appropriations bill has not been signed into law by the end of the Congressional fiscal year. The legislation takes the form of a joint resolution, and provides funding for existing federal programs at current, reduced, or expanded levels.

The house republicans saw this as an opportunity, and basically said "If you don't stop Obamacare from coming into effect, we will allow the government to shut down".

The democrats/Obama said "A) This isn't the place to try to ram that through, B) If we do let you do whatever you want with threats like this whenever you feel like it, you can get pretty much whatever you want, and C) If you do shut the government down you will be blamed politically we will be unharmed. So why would we negotiate with you on this?"

Honestly, if I was in the democrats position I would do about the same thing. Negotiating against crazy threats like this gives you nothing (as has been seen time and time again), while actually forcing the republicans to act puts huge pressure on them (causing the schism between tea party and more fiscal republicans to widen) for no real gain besides showing they will shut down the government if they don't get exactly what they want.

I actually didn't know what this situation was about, but I guess it's basically just that the politishin's r threwin a tempa tantwum to get what they want?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #5267 on: October 01, 2013, 04:06:56 pm »

I actually didn't know what this situation was about, but I guess it's basically just that the politishin's r threwin a tempa tantwum to get what they want?

Its basically a bunch of terrorists taking America hostage, saying "if you don't let me shoot America with this gun, I am going to blow America up with this bomb instead! I wonder why no one will negotiate and give us everything we ask for without any semblance of compromise, and obviously its your fault America is going to get blown up because you won't let us shoot her instead."
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: October 01, 2013, 04:19:27 pm »

We live in the glorious time in which American politics have ceased to be about compromising between the different ideologies to accomplish things. Now it's effectively war, at least for some people: nothing is acceptable save for the ability to unilaterally force your own agenda through, and anyone who opposes that is an enemy, rather than a friend and fellow citizen with a different opinion.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5269 on: October 01, 2013, 04:21:37 pm »

We live in the glorious time in which American politics have ceased to be about compromising between the different ideologies to accomplish things. Now it's effectively war, at least for some people: nothing is acceptable save for the ability to unilaterally force your own agenda through, and anyone who opposes that is an enemy, rather than a friend and fellow citizen with a different opinion.
Already seen people calling each other terrorists and traitors to be eradicated [sic].

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:41 pm »

Granted, some of them are actually advocating treason.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5271 on: October 01, 2013, 04:30:05 pm »

You talking about the democrats or the republicans?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: October 01, 2013, 04:34:42 pm »

You talking about the democrats or the republicans?
More likely about the types who are gathering guns and MREs for the coming revolution. Radicals and reactionaries who act to put their views into practice are by definition traitors, given that their aim is to depose the current government and hand control of the state's institutions to a different one, modeled either on their delusional perception of a past government or their delusional ideal of a new government.

That's the problem, people don't differentiate between those who disagree with government policies and those who want to violently overthrow the government, as if they are somehow equivalent.

3. Run Resize Enable

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: October 01, 2013, 04:37:12 pm »

This is just one misstep away from becoming thread lock bait. Perhaps someone should create a new thread for this discussion.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »

You mean some sort of US politics thread?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: October 01, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »

Sure, take it there, I guess. Didn't know that one was still relevant.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »

I've said before that the Dallas freeway system can go to hell. Now it seems like Dallas drivers are determined to go there.

Three. Cars. Three of them. All in that relatively small geographical area, all very nearly getting run over by my truck, and each time catastrophe is only barely avoided because I notice them in time. They sure as hell weren't paying attention; whether it was suddenly shifting into the same lane I was already half-way in or cutting me off so closely that I swear we traded paint, not one of them seemed to recognize how close they had come to disaster.

I read an article in a magazine yesterday that repeated exposure to heavy traffic was a major contributor to heart attacks in truckers. Judging by how fast my heart was beating, I can believe it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:22 pm »

Trucks need hover-craft of the sci-fi variety asap. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: October 01, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »

Either that or make all the other cars hover so they can stay outta the way >_<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: October 01, 2013, 08:15:00 pm »

Or make robot trucks whose silicon brains care not for the unwary.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1420