Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964657 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #4740 on: August 13, 2013, 05:14:00 pm »

Have you read the Necroscope books?  Because that sort of thing goes on in them.
... vampire... spores? Spores? Vampire spores?
Like a more sentient, parasitic Cordyceps.  Kind of. 

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4741 on: August 13, 2013, 07:09:35 pm »

What I love is the fact that, oddly enough, only people who believe in ghosts seem to see ghosts.

The same thing can be said about house cats oddly enough.
So only people who believe in house cats see house cats?

As far as I know? Yes. Its just that everyone happens to believe in house cats.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: August 13, 2013, 07:22:16 pm »

What I love is the fact that, oddly enough, only people who believe in ghosts seem to see ghosts.

But what about all those TV shows where people talk about how they used to be a skeptic but then they encountered a ghost and changed their beliefs? TV doesn't lie. :D

On a more serious note, I'd like to know what causes people to see ghosts, if not actual ghosts. I hate to think that the cause is simply everybody is crazy.
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: August 13, 2013, 07:23:31 pm »

But what about all those TV shows where people talk about how they used to be a skeptic but then they encountered a ghost and changed their beliefs? TV doesn't lie. :D

On a more serious note, I'd like to know what causes people to see ghosts, if not actual ghosts. I hate to think that the cause is simply everybody is crazy.

well

i am on bay12.

but then so are you. so insanity is out of the equation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4744 on: August 13, 2013, 07:27:19 pm »

I lived in a house where all the "ghosty stuff" happened. Like waking up at 1 A.M. to get some water only to have the door slam shut in front of me the moment I reached for the handle, or televisions turning themselves on and off to static screens. It was pretty awesome.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #4745 on: August 13, 2013, 07:43:31 pm »

Hrmm... I wonder how hard it would be to rig a house with invisible ink/stains/handprints on the wall while keeping the house air conditioned perfectly, and then have it turn on the heater in the middle of the night and have all the stains start showing up...
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:57 pm »

I lived in a house where all the "ghosty stuff" happened. Like waking up at 1 A.M. to get some water only to have the door slam shut in front of me the moment I reached for the handle, or televisions turning themselves on and off to static screens. It was pretty awesome.
I've spent a good deal of time in a place like that, and I'll just say that it's cool as all get-out, ghosts or no. The people who blindly believe it are nutters, sure, but the people who get all nasty about shooting down pointless superstitions don't have enough appreciation for a good story. Half the fun of it is bullshitting more credulous people, the other half is when legitimately creepy stuff happens, even if it has a perfectly natural cause.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: August 13, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »

My apartment is supposedly haunted. It's not. Never seen anything remotely out of the ordinary. I think people who see ghosts have something weird happen to them, and they attribute it to something, spooky.

On a separate note, Literally the scariest thing in my apartment is the public basement. It's a long, twisty, dark, dungeon like hallway, right underneath the building, with laundry rooms on opposite ends. Right when you get off the Elevator, the hallway is very straight and you get off right in the middle of it, and I always remember a passing scene from Jurassic park 3 or something I saw when I was young, where the raptor runs down a hallway at some girl (I was young enough I don't remember who, all I remember is the Raptor). Once, when I was younger a maintenance guy walked out one of the doors in the hallway and I jumped out of my skin. I still hate that damn basement, but now it's full of MTA guys, so it isn't that bad.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: August 13, 2013, 08:37:17 pm »

There is evidence that overstimulation of certain areas of the brain can cause someone to perceive hostile apparitions.

There's also the factor of the defunct earthquake sense in humans, which results in inexplicable mortal terror if you are exposed to sound of a certain frequency. Too low to recognize that you are hearing it, but enough to freak you out. There's a hypothesis that "haunted" places may simply be those where something is commonly emitting this sound, and thus many people entering them will freak out for reasons they can't place. This panic could be enough to cause them to hallucinate, especially since they will have no identifiable cause for their uneasiness.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:39:08 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: August 13, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »

There is evidence that overstimulation of certain areas of the brain can cause someone to perceive hostile apparitions.

There's also the factor of the defunct earthquake sense in humans, which results in inexplicable mortal terror if you are exposed to sound of a certain frequency. Too low to hear, but enough to freak you out. There's a hypothesis that "haunted" places may simply be those where something is commonly emitting this sound, and thus many people entering them will freak out for reasons they can't place. This panic could be enough to cause them to hallucinate, especially since they will have no identifiable cause for their uneasiness.
...Whoa. To me, that's even cooler than the possibility of ghosts.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: August 13, 2013, 08:47:02 pm »

Yeah, infrasound can fuck up your brain pretty hard.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4751 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:06 pm »

but now it's full of MTA guys, so it isn't that bad.

Living or Dead MTA guys?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: August 13, 2013, 09:10:25 pm »

If we're talking about ghosts, can we please all agree that ouija boards are in no way magical?
Because aforementioned grand-maternal (word?) friendship group keep insisting that ouija boards have prophesised things for them. Shockingly enough these prophecies were vague and could only be attributed to the event after the event occurred.
Also that ouija boards are moved by subconscious muscle movements. And don't work while everyone is blindfolded.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: August 13, 2013, 09:15:07 pm »

Considering that they are currently trademarked by Hasbro as a toy and only became big outside of China when they did, yes, there's nothing supernatural about Ouija boards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: August 13, 2013, 09:16:48 pm »

trademarked by Hasbro as a toy
Is Hasbro going to fight against Disney, McDonalds, and Betty Crocker when it all comes down to corporations pulling out the pies they secretly had fingers in.
Because seriously it's like there isn't a single board game not owned by Hasbro.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1420