Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965661 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #4395 on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:56 am »

I'm terrified of failure. Thus essentially all horror games are horrible for me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4396 on: July 10, 2013, 10:58:03 am »

I cannot play any scary games. At all. They are all so terrifying to me because it feels like I'm right there and trapped in this horrific situation.
That's the point? Get terror, enjoy it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: July 10, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

I don't get the second part. I just feel horrified and quit the game while going "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO".

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 10, 2013, 11:52:36 am »

I cannot play any scary games. At all. They are all so terrifying to me because it feels like I'm right there and trapped in this horrific situation.
I spent two years unable to cave in minecraft because I was too scared.

So quit yer bellyaching! :P
Prettymuch the same. Do you know how many bunkers that I never used that I had to build before switching to Easy?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 10, 2013, 12:00:15 pm »

Pssh, I could cave even though I had this really freaky cave that I got lost in constantly, never fully explored, and had a shitton of skeletons inside. Did I mention the cave was right under my house?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 10, 2013, 12:26:56 pm »

I could never play even remotely scary video games when i was younger. Hell I got scared by Luigi's mansion. I never even made it to the first real room to clear with Ghosts in it. I spent maybe 45 minutes in the foyer sucking dust.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »

Prettymuch the same. Do you know how many bunkers that I never used that I had to build before switching to Easy?
Minecraft became much more tolerable for me when I deleted the ambient cave sounds.  I was ready to punch things and hide in a corner every time I heard one.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: July 10, 2013, 02:23:03 pm »

Horror games? Meh.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: July 10, 2013, 02:45:47 pm »

Minecraft became much more tolerable for me when I deleted the ambient cave sounds.  I was ready to punch things and hide in a corner every time I heard one.
I'd say the number one scary thing in a game is the ambiance and atmosphere. That's what makes Amnesia so wonderfully scary, and why the game even tells you for best experience you should play it in the dark with headphones. Playing Amnesia without any sound would probably highly detract from the experience.

I've played maybe half an hour of amnesia before stopping. I even watched entire playthroughs of the game, I know what to expect, but the darn creepy-ass atmosphere still freaks me out and evokes this feeling of dread I've experienced in no other game. Dead Space wasn't even that bad, it was just meh.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:23 pm »

The ability to pack around heavy artillery does alleviate some of the fear.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4405 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:53 pm »

I'd say the number one scary thing in a game is the ambiance and atmosphere. That's what makes Amnesia so wonderfully scary, and why the game even tells you for best experience you should play it in the dark with headphones. Playing Amnesia without any sound would probably highly detract from the experience.

I've played maybe half an hour of amnesia before stopping. I even watched entire playthroughs of the game, I know what to expect, but the darn creepy-ass atmosphere still freaks me out and evokes this feeling of dread I've experienced in no other game. Dead Space wasn't even that bad, it was just meh.
Zombie outbreak simulator without music:
HA HA THIS IS FUN DIE Z SCUM
Zombie outbreak simulator with music:
I am alone.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: July 10, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »

Conclusion : C:DDA needs music to be terrifying ?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: July 10, 2013, 03:48:20 pm »

This.  A lot of this too.  If I can play a game and be like "Holy shit, that thing just jumped out at me, I'M GOING TO BLOW IT TO HELL NOW GRR RAGE" that cuts down on the scare factor a bit.  However, if I'm playing a game and I'm like "Holy shit, what is that thing slowly melting through the wall oh god all I have on me is some Tic Tacs and a handkerchief I need to get out of here" then that really adds to the horror factor. 

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: July 10, 2013, 03:48:25 pm »

I have never felt terrified in Cataclysm. I've felt afraid, yes, and kinda depressed, but never scared out of my wits.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4409 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:19 pm »

This.  A lot of this too.  If I can play a game and be like "Holy shit, that thing just jumped out at me, I'M GOING TO BLOW IT TO HELL NOW GRR RAGE" that cuts down on the scare factor a bit.  However, if I'm playing a game and I'm like "Holy shit, what is that thing slowly melting through the wall oh god all I have on me is some Tic Tacs and a handkerchief I need to get out of here" then that really adds to the horror factor.
There are exceptions, like some survival horrors where your firepower helps you to little avail - or when sometimes you're not even the target of their attacks.

Relevant:
Metro 2033 ;-;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Horror, done right.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1420