Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965801 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #4365 on: July 04, 2013, 08:05:47 pm »

While I know a far more effective way to kill most of the US, I won't reveal it here.
Does it involve opening one of your thousand mouths and singing the song that ends the world?
Actually no. It involves
Spoiler: Sedition within (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: July 04, 2013, 08:07:38 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4367 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »

Actually no. It involves
You are talking about cracking some of the world's best guarded and structurally sound buildings mankind's ever created right? In the country with some of the highest industrial safety records?
Admittedly, a quarter of them could run afoul an Earthquake of particular magnitude. And nothing's impenetrable. But even with all of them melting down it'd be hardly anything close to apocalyptic. The power outages would be more harmful.
Not to mention the reaction could be shut down with the control rods. And if one plant was compromised, every single other one would be on TERRARISHTS alert.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: July 04, 2013, 08:18:43 pm »

Actually no. It involves
You are talking about cracking some of the world's best guarded and structurally sound buildings mankind's ever created right? In the country with some of the highest industrial safety records?
Admittedly, a quarter of them could run afoul an Earthquake of particular magnitude. And nothing's impenetrable. But even with all of them melting down it'd be hardly anything close to apocalyptic. The power outages would be more harmful.
Not to mention the reaction could be shut down with the control rods. And if one plant was compromised, every single other one would be on TERRARISHTS alert.
I'm talking about the rods they keep in the water tanks. Literally all I'd have to do is get some explosives in there - and these things are almost literally guarded by rentacops - and boom, at least a million people dead.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4369 on: July 04, 2013, 08:23:36 pm »

I'm talking about the rods they keep in the water tanks. Literally all I'd have to do is get some explosives in there - and these things are almost literally guarded by rentacops - and boom, at least a million people dead.
The fuel in every commercial reactor is never enriched enough to go critically boom. Fukushima had a triple meltdown and had 200 workers day and night operating within it. The amount of people killed would be about 0; unless of course the explosives themselves killed any unlucky workers.

So you'd have to target a military station, which is surprisingly enough, guarded by the military.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: July 04, 2013, 09:20:02 pm »

Dad is going through an ablation procedure to treat heart arrhythmia in about a month.  It's a fairly low-risk procedure, with only about 2% risk of anything going seriously wrong.  Still feel like I should come up with some creative good luck/positive energy gesture.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: July 05, 2013, 01:51:03 am »

Actually no. It involves
I'd like to point out that the DoE has SWAT teams and a sniper school. Some rent-a-cops.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: July 05, 2013, 02:22:03 am »

Note that my knowledge in this is taken from a document I read ~3 years ago, so I've no idea which plants I'm referring to.
Sig! Onol

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: July 05, 2013, 02:26:05 am »

The fuel in every commercial reactor is never enriched enough to go critically boom. Fukushima had a triple meltdown and had 200 workers day and night operating within it. The amount of people killed would be about 0; unless of course the explosives themselves killed any unlucky workers.

So you'd have to target a military station, which is surprisingly enough, guarded by the military.
Fukushima killed a good 30 workers, maybe more. Standing in radioactive water tends to do that.

And Xantalos isn't talking about the power plants, he's talking about the spent fuel bassins. Ie, where they keep the long term radioactive waste 60 years before it goes under the ground.

But his plan gravely overstates the danger of those things. They don't produce nearly enough heat to melt, let alone vapourize themselves*. Cooling is possible, and the containers they're stored in can keep them cool/safe for some time, Even if the basin was destroyed. And if IRCC, most of these depots are guarded on site, ie, near the reactor. And the guards are allowed to kill.

Besides, we had accidents at spend fuel depots earlier. Nothing much happened.

*The only radioactive gasses will be vapourizing water, and then again, the danger from radiation is gravely overstated. Tsernobyl launched an entire reactor core in the air over Eastern Europe, total deaths, including cancers and such, will be less than 10 000 (WHO).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: July 05, 2013, 07:44:12 am »

I've read somewhere that while properly operated and stored those bars aren't a danger. The thing with those 32 storage sites however is that they've been operating over capacity for quite a while now, so you have a much bigger amount of dangerous material which will ignite if the water is drained, which can occur either by breaching the tank or crippling the cooling system so it vapourizes.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:14 am »

Coronavirus, just killed a guy nearby
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: July 05, 2013, 01:26:48 pm »

I've read somewhere that while properly operated and stored those bars aren't a danger. The thing with those 32 storage sites however is that they've been operating over capacity for quite a while now, so you have a much bigger amount of dangerous material which will ignite if the water is drained, which can occur either by breaching the tank or crippling the cooling system so it vapourizes.
That was what I was missing!
Sig! Onol

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: July 05, 2013, 11:34:41 pm »

Well I just read Bio Apocalypse at night time. Now I am hungry and somewhat bothered. They kinda overdid the blood, the narration was mediocre, the drawing was piss-poor, but worked decently enough for the organism, and the ending was on the happy side, so it wasn't very scary, but still... might actually dream tonight.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: July 09, 2013, 01:41:16 am »

Job interview in 7 hours.  So anxious.  I've never actually done one of these before.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:27 am »

The passing of Ryan Davis has made me seriously start to worry about my weight. I'm a few years younger than Ryan was but I still feel I owe it to myself and to my family to get in better shape.

Knowing my luck I'll start jogging and get hit by a derailed train somehow.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 1420