Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964808 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #3690 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It can certainly survive being frozen though, albeit in hibernation.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: April 05, 2013, 08:56:16 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3692 on: April 05, 2013, 08:59:55 pm »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: April 05, 2013, 09:09:16 pm »

MSH:
True dat. Though Childs(Thing) has a flamethrower too, and he has it on hand while Macready's going to have to get his out from under his blanket thing. That one second will make all the difference.
Although IMO judging from the distance between them, if Childs is a thing and Macready tries to torch him, he's going to close to melee (they're only about 2 meters apart) and pull a Blair on him (hand ---> face).
Altogether I have no idea how the fight itself would turn out, though if he wins (or if you take the TV edit with the dog running away at the end as canon, it escapes that way), he's probably going to make it to something on which he can escape from Antarctica.
Sig! Onol

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3694 on: April 05, 2013, 09:13:04 pm »

MSH:
True dat. Though Childs(Thing) has a flamethrower too, and he has it on hand while Macready's going to have to get his out from under his blanket thing. That one second will make all the difference.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:26 pm »

Fire isn't a quick killer, so Childs-Thing shooting first isn't important. Also, flamethrowers project a lot of force and would probably go through or throw off MacReady's blanket if he just held down the trigger. Childs-Thing wouldn't have time to assimilate MacReady even if he could start the process, since MacReady has a flamethrower.

Remember, MacReady is already planning on dying at this point, and he desires to win on a level that would be pathological if not for the scale of the Thing's threat to humanity.

As for the TV edit, we've already established that the Thing is incapable of traversing Antarctica on its own, since it hasn't. Assimilating a dog would just leave it frozen somewhere else. Antarctica is big.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: April 05, 2013, 09:20:12 pm »

I've had a minor pain inside my elbow joint for a while now.  It feels exactly like the beginning of another MRSA infection, but I know it's not that because it's been going on for months.  Still, it keeps me incredibly paranoid.  Some small part of me thinks "OH GOD NO!" every time I move my arm in just the right way to trigger that sensation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: April 05, 2013, 09:22:55 pm »

Fire isn't a quick killer, so Childs-Thing shooting first isn't important. Also, flamethrowers project a lot of force and would probably go through or throw off MacReady's blanket if he just held down the trigger. Childs-Thing wouldn't have time to assimilate MacReady even if he could start the process, since MacReady has a flamethrower.

Remember, MacReady is already planning on dying at this point, and he desires to win on a level that would be pathological if not for the scale of the Thing's threat to humanity.

As for the TV edit, we've already established that the Thing is incapable of traversing Antarctica on its own, since it hasn't. Assimilating a dog would just leave it frozen somewhere else. Antarctica is big.

But what if the Earth warms sufficiently for the ice sheets to melt?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3698 on: April 05, 2013, 09:32:20 pm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: April 05, 2013, 09:34:22 pm »

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »

We're not going to melt Antarctica, or at least not that significantly. The heat rise concentrates on the north pole rather than the south.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: April 05, 2013, 09:42:04 pm »

We're not going to melt Antarctica, or at least not that significantly. The heat rise concentrates on the north pole rather than the south.
Never say never. There are no limits to what can be achieved with human resourcefulness. Pierce the heavens, etc.

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:35 pm »

Never say never. There are no limits to what can be achieved with human resourcefulness. Pierce the heavens, etc.
No, I mean, in the serious, worst-case scenario drill-baby-drill future, we don't manage to melt Antarctica.

There might not even be enough hydrocarbon on Earth to make it happen. (and I didn't say never)
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: April 05, 2013, 09:47:19 pm »

No, I mean, in the serious, worst-case scenario drill-baby-drill future, we don't manage to melt Antarctica.

There might not even be enough hydrocarbon on Earth to make it happen. (and I didn't say never)
Even if it was a goal rather than a side effect?

3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: April 05, 2013, 09:55:42 pm »

Aaanyhow, my point was that if Childsthing fires first Macready might be in too much pain from being on fire to kill him, especially if he runs right after he torches Macready, waits until he dies, and goes back.
By assimillation I didn't really mean full on tentacle thing, but more what Blairthing did with Garry - paralyzingly him by grabbing/ripping out his throat. Anyhow if we continue the debate we should go to the crossover thread.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 1420