Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969389 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #2655 on: November 07, 2012, 02:27:04 pm »

Can they smell a fire axe in their skull?
Mmmm, smells like brain damage.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: November 07, 2012, 02:45:43 pm »

No, no, I'm pretty sure it already smelled like that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: November 07, 2012, 02:50:32 pm »

No, no, I'm pretty sure it already smelled like that.
But the smell was originally trapped in their skull. There's no way the axe could have damaged anything, considering how resistant their brains are to new things.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: November 08, 2012, 12:21:48 am »

So there was a little bit of side-chat today on the IRC about supernatural experiences.  I have a feeling I might have asked this before, but it didn't stick with me well.  How many people here have had any?  How many are the type to ridicule the very idea?

Come on people.  Hit me with your best RL creepypasta!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: November 08, 2012, 12:25:07 am »

People occasionally joke about my house being haunted, but I don't believe so. Of the "unexplained phenomena" I've experienced, it includes odd creakings (like someone going down the basement stairs when no one's actually there), and a few movements in the corner of my eye I couldn't explain. Oh, and as a kid, I saw two things quickly sink into the wall and a floor within the space of 5 minutes (they looked white, but past that I don't have a description), but could've been a trick of the light or something.

There WAS a murder here a little over 100 years ago, and it was, for a time, the morgue. One of the residents embalmed the dead. The house is about 150 years old.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: November 08, 2012, 12:27:35 am »

Nope. Murders, Natural deaths, etc. no haunting. Tut tut tut. Apartment buildings must be harder to haunt, so no one does it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: November 08, 2012, 12:29:26 am »

I don't believe in any aspect of the supernatural. Our minds are very susceptible to suggestion and hallucination.

It is not a coincidence that people who do not believe in ghosts consistently fail to see ghosts.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: November 08, 2012, 12:32:21 am »

I don't believe in any aspect of the supernatural. Our minds are very susceptible to suggestion and hallucination.

It is not a coincidence that people who do not believe in ghosts consistently fail to see ghosts.
You'd get sick of people who just say "go away; you're a figment of my imagination" too. We're jerks to ghosts, seriously.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:38 am »

You'd get sick of people who just say "go away; you're a figment of my imagination" too. We're jerks to ghosts, seriously.
Well, we've never had any complaints.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: November 08, 2012, 12:36:50 am »

I guess I should say my agnosticism extends to this sort of supernatural stuff too. I don't believe it, but I accept the possibility. If ghosts do exist, it's just rather unlikely they actually affect anything physically, or could be seen, or anything like that.

Then again it's hard to scientifically test for stuff that only exists empirically when it wants to.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: November 08, 2012, 12:46:29 am »

I guess I should say my agnosticism extends to this sort of supernatural stuff too.

Me too, except with more of a lean towards than away from belief.

I do love hearing related stories from anyone who has them, though.  It's just a fun subject.  I have my own stories, but I don't take them too seriously.  I understand it's most likely that they have explanations, but I just don't have them... and I'm aware of the major ones like pareidolia and sleep paralysis.

Edit:  I think it helps if you remember not to refer to everything as "ghosts".  There are tons of ideas as to the nature of various weird things that happen, and manifesting will of the dead is only one (also one of the most ridiculous, imo).  I don't make any specific claims as to the nature of anything when on the topic of seemingly supernatural experiences.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:09:12 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: November 08, 2012, 01:23:57 am »

When I was a kid, I was absolutely convinced there was a ghost train under my bedroom floor.
Turns out it was just the sound of my heart pumping blood rushing in my ears.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:39 am »

Fuzzy's new avatar. Ye gods, that looks like some unholy combination of the Swarm with Prison Bubba.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: November 08, 2012, 01:43:39 am »

Fuzzy's new avatar. Ye gods, that looks like some unholy combination of the Swarm with Prison Bubba.
He just wants your delicious organs, is that too much to ask?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:05 am »

He just wants your delicious organs, is that too much to ask?
Needs to be fuzzier. Mix some Teddy Ruxpin in there for maximum fluffy terror.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 1420