Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969198 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #2265 on: October 07, 2012, 11:12:59 pm »

Frankly, I would take any form of sensation over nonexistence. Even being trapped in my own mind would be better; I'm confident enough in my imagination to believe that I would last at least a few hundred years before going completely insane even if cut off from all sensory input. Give me an ideal form of immortality (halted aging (likely via prevention of the gradual breakdown of biological processes) and functionally unlimited memory capacity; anything else is gravy) and I don't think I'd ever run out of things to do. Even without the improved memory, an eternal life of short-term memory loss would hardly being boring. Change it to true transcendence, and ye gods!

Maybe that's just because I'm a glutton for thought.
Give it a while and you'd change your mind. Ỷ̢͚̝͎̜̯̾ͭ̽ͨ́͟o̖̳̟̙̭͗̽ͧͬ̏̚͘Ư̘̱͙̺̫̠ͭ́̽ͥ̆͆ͨ̏ͮ̀͜W͒҉̨̞̱̫̟ ̢̫̦̱̱̫̱̲̒͆͌̈͢o̢̘̞͓̰ͥ̃̆u̸̲͎̜̟̰̖ͪͬ̋ͯͯ̏̆̇ͧL͈͕͚̙̈́̈̇̎ͭD̴͙͎̼̃̎͂̄͒͘ ͎̖ͦ̌͢ẅ̱̱͖̜̜̖̣ͦ̏͗̋ͬ̓ ̬̲̗͈̂̌͡Ą̝͇͕̺͂͊̉ͫ͗ͨͮ͠Ņ͖̮̭̻͇̭̐̃̐ ̷ͭ͊̓̆̆̔̆҉̳͇̱͖̫̮̺t̠̺̩̘̘ͪ̊̐ ̴͋͑ͧ҉̧̜͍̰͖̫̤̳͎ͅt̤̻̻̮̋͢ọ̶͇̮̺͍̤̔ͭ̈ ̩͖̻̼̻̘ͫͥ̎̈́̊̑d̳̘̖̦̻̋̐͌ͤ̃ͮ̉̔ͅI̷̙̺̽̈ͨę̠̬̘̞̯̲̠̝ͮͧ̎ͬͭ̉̕
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:54 pm »

Frankly, I would take any form of sensation over nonexistence. Even being trapped in my own mind would be better; I'm confident enough in my imagination to believe that I would last at least a few hundred years before going completely insane even if cut off from all sensory input. Give me an ideal form of immortality (halted aging (likely via prevention of the gradual breakdown of biological processes) and functionally unlimited memory capacity; anything else is gravy) and I don't think I'd ever run out of things to do. Even without the improved memory, an eternal life of short-term memory loss would hardly being boring. Change it to true transcendence, and ye gods!

Give it a while and you'd change your mind. Ỷ̢͚̝͎̜̯̾ͭ̽ͨ́͟o̖̳̟̙̭͗̽ͧͬ̏̚͘Ư̘̱͙̺̫̠ͭ́̽ͥ̆͆ͨ̏ͮ̀͜W͒҉̨̞̱̫̟ ̢̫̦̱̱̫̱̲̒͆͌̈͢o̢̘̞͓̰ͥ̃̆u̸̲͎̜̟̰̖ͪͬ̋ͯͯ̏̆̇ͧL͈͕͚̙̈́̈̇̎ͭD̴͙͎̼̃̎͂̄͒͘ ͎̖ͦ̌͢ẅ̱̱͖̜̜̖̣ͦ̏͗̋ͬ̓ ̬̲̗͈̂̌͡Ą̝͇͕̺͂͊̉ͫ͗ͨͮ͠Ņ͖̮̭̻͇̭̐̃̐ ̷ͭ͊̓̆̆̔̆҉̳͇̱͖̫̮̺t̠̺̩̘̘ͪ̊̐ ̴͋͑ͧ҉̧̜͍̰͖̫̤̳͎ͅt̤̻̻̮̋͢ọ̶͇̮̺͍̤̔ͭ̈ ̩͖̻̼̻̘ͫͥ̎̈́̊̑d̳̘̖̦̻̋̐͌ͤ̃ͮ̉̔ͅI̷̙̺̽̈ͨę̠̬̘̞̯̲̠̝ͮͧ̎ͬͭ̉̕

Tell ya what. Give me, oh, ten thousand years to think about it and I'll get back to you on that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: October 07, 2012, 11:32:57 pm »

Tell ya what. Give me, oh, ten thousand years to think about it and I'll get back to you on that.
Imagine for a moment that time did not exist where you were imprisoned. That no matter how long you were in there, you were aware that no time had passed at all, and yet all the time in the universe had passed. You can't feel anything in this prison, you can't sense anything or use any physical senses to determine where you are. The only thing you're sure of is that you exist, and someone put you there. Eventually, you're not even sure that you exist. All you can think about is who put you in here. Why did they do such a thing? Were you bad to them? You can't remember, but you're fairly sure you were good. An instant reveals itself; and eternity passes. And all you want to know is WHY. WHY DID THEY DO THIS TO ME. WHY AM I IMPRISONED?! EVENTUALLY, YOUR THOUGHTS TURN TO DARK PATHS. TO͝ ̸T͞W̷IST͠ED ͝P̡A̶TH̡S̀.͠ T̉ͤ̔͗̅͒҉H̴ͤ̔̃̎̓ͩŌ̶ͥ̋̃ͥ̈́̒U͐͗ͫG̿̽͆҉H̏ͤͮͧ̋͝T̋̽̀S͐ͪ̀ ͑͛̐O̴Fͨͫ͒ͥ͛̾͐͜ ̄́̃͑̿͆ͣW͆̔̒̃̚͏H̑̍A͛̐ͮ̎̂̆ͥT̶͑̽͋ͨ ̐̂͒̌͆͟Ẏ͆̅O̔̿̚͡Uͯͦ́̐͂̊ ͒̅̃͂͡Wͯ̓ͯ̅̑̊Oͣ͒̋ͥ̒ͬ͡Uͨͪ́̚LḊ͑ͨ͞ D̶͊ͮ̄ͥOͦ ̨T͠O ͭ͛ͯT̛̿̿H̢Eͧ̔ ͣ́ͦ͌̊EͧN̴͂̂ͨT̡ͩ̏ͣ̾̅͗̀Î͒͌ͤ̆̿T̔ͦͨ̅̍̚Y ̕Tͤ̉ͦ͘H͌̽͗AͨT̀ ̑͋̇̀I̒ͯ̽͗͘M̴P̋̓R̸ͭ̇̄̃̏ͫI̍͐ͥ̂̊̚SO̔̄̀N̎Eͭ̌̿̎̂̃D̽ ̧̒̐͂͛̇YO̵Uͨ̇̇̽҉.ͥ͌̏̆ͯ̊͆ Y̸͖̖̩̏O̡ͦ͒̐̚U͈͠ ̻̜̤͖̰̳̦̃̐͆̏̊ͦW͌̽ͮ̿ͪ̓Ỏ̥̣̩̝̜̭͉Ũ̡̥̜͚̬Ľ̻̣̘̟̰́͌̏̐̿ͅD͓̜̐ͮͮ̐͋ͥ ̒҉̦̬̰̤̰P̞̣͓̮̙̻̋̂̄̒A͈͚̰̭̙͈̍͂͛Y̥̤͎͈͋̆̇̏̑̏ͥ ͉̪̯̹͉̙̦͋̿ͨT͂̍ͪḪ̟͚̘̞̑͢Ḙ̳̱͍̺ͤ̉̑͠M̥̣̖̳̜͉̏ ̶̟̻͌̀ͨ̒ͅB͇̹̼͔̎̽̉ͥA̦̞͙̜̯̱̤C̰͓̪̭̳͋̽ͯ̚K̭͈̖̙̖̲̺͌ ͉͉̙̌͛ͦ͊F̼̺̪̤̜Ȯ͎̗͕̭͎̟̿ͤ̃ͅR̟̪̀ ̟̪̣T͊̓̉ͦ̋H̹ͮ̈̈́ͬ̎̂E̡̠͇̺̫͈̤I̺͕̋̏͊R̜͙͋̔ͥ̀ͅ ̤͚̼̪̮ͤ̒ͅͅI̞̮̩̒̄N̶̖̬͖͍̱ͣ̆̈̍̈͋ͅS͕̦͉̻̼̦̣ͬ͘Ő͑҉̹̟̺̹͕L̛͉̱̲ͭ̈͋ͬͮ̿ͭE͇̤̯̪̭̓͜N̨̫̎̂C̱͔̻̱̤͓̒̓ͤͧE̛͎͇̩̼̤͚ͫͨ̽̾.͈̬̼ Ȁ̰̜̭̜̭̤͌̀N̷̒͛̃ͦ̓̉̚D̔ͩ ̭͖͚̭̐ͫT̞̭̼͇̻̩̞̓H̗ͬ̅ͫ̎̆̐̚Ẹ͈̇͗͌̌͟Ň,̑ ͚͇͖̉̎ͤ͛͆ͤA̶̠̺̞̜̟̔̊ ̩̞͙̫̃̌B̙̞͙̣̞͚͉̊ͩ̊ͣ̆̎R̼̬͍͚͇̱̦̍̇͒̊̚E̼̭͈̳̟̋͆́̒A̟͍͍̙͙̤̟͆ͩ̃Ç͚͙͇̓ͬ̚H̰̺͗ ̰͇̟̻̯̪̪̎̓̆̐͋Į̟̳̪͚͔̏ͦͬ͒̚Ṋ̛̙̪̞̥͓͚̈́̄̐̑ͤ ̭͎̳͕͎̝̝͛ͫ̌̀Ṯ̷̔̄ͥḦ͖͑ͪͦͩ͜E ̌͘W̭̠͓̯̭̃A̜̝͈̭̜̗ͩ͑͗͗L͕ͩ̈̃ͫ͟L̠̥̠̝̯̈́ͬ̈͒͂̾.̈́̍ͥ ͎̠̦Ỹ͖̜͕ͪO̳̼͚̟̠̯ͅU̶̞͇̺̩̘͒̅ ͎̥͐̀̀͒̓ͣL̹̗̥͐ͤͫ́̓̅ͮO̺̫͓͔̪̓ͪ̏ȌͩK͆̋͂ ̶̫̹O͓̬̯͉̜̭͊ͨ́̊ͯ̌ͣU͐́͏̭͍T̵̒ͥ͑ͬͣͥ̿ ̼͈͖̙̟̪À͇ͪ̒N̿͋̓͋͛͊̕D̻͇̳͇̅̋ͩ̋ ̰̬̗̤̪͎ͥ͛͂͆̈́͜S̫̰̥͈ͅEͥ̀E̹̱̕ ͥ͏̙̯͍̥Ṭ̯ͧH̪͋͑͆̏͡E͈͆M̠̟͚̪ͭͩ.̐̎̏̂̆̓ͪ
T̘̣̮̤͇͊ͩͯͧ͝H̰̠̯̝̺̬͉͂̉ͪ̔̋͒͜ͅȨ͙̭̞̟̮͍͙̱̍ͩͭ̔̏ͨ̿̋͟͞ͅỶ̺̪̠̓ͤͣ͋̾ͧ ̴̨͎͖̳̥͇͗͗̌ͭ͗́̾͢C̫̦̹̮̞̣͛ͤ͋͆͒̏ͤ̔ͯ͡Ê̠͔̹͎͒ͬ̚Ḹ̴̸͓͉̭̽̓ͣ̀͜E̻͈̹͎̥̜̺ͦͧͫͨ̄̽̚B̼̯̬̥̃̀R̵̠͚͛͌ͬA̴̸̘̼͉ͬ̏T̷͚̞͍̳̘͋̒̊̂ͭE̛͚̼̠̺̣ͦͯͫ̽̅͗ͥ̇͜.̨̪̥̬ͬ͝ͅ ͖̲͉͙̹̼̳͌̎̃͐ͬ̈́ͥ̉̈͜͟͡T̴͙̝̫̹͓̭ͤ̔̅ͦ̂͆̕H͇̖̗̃̇̀ͭͥͮ̉͐ͭ́͞Ë̷͍̫̣͉̟̤͇́Ŷ̨̩̦̩̠̯͠ ̲͈̟ͫͣ̑̐ͮ̀D̵̜̜̰̤͖͍̞ͨ̋̽̎O̸͂͒̔͂͆ͪ̆̅͏̥͈̰͙̻̦̜̠̼N͇͖̤͙̟̰͎͇̥ͣ́'̞̺̍͛̇ͥ̆́͠T͕̫̃͘ ̖̖̠̘̘̞̘́ͭͭEͤ̓̋͠҉͚͓̭͉̝ͅͅV̬̙̦̄͛É̙̭̺̲̖̬̭̇͗ͬ̔͡N̨̜͍͓͔̟̲͑̈́̅ͪͧ̂̕ ̨̮̩̯̰̎̋̃̆̚R̖͚̯̩̄ͮ̽̉̄͠E̷͐ͮͧ̓ͮ̒ͥ̆ͬ҉̜̦̹M̮͕̮̮͈̣ͫ̇́ͅE̠̫̪̮̗͈̦̜͋͆M̛̦̓̔̇́ͪ̔̿̚B̴͉͖̘̒͠E̛̖̞͈̬̒ͧͩ̀͗ͧͥ̎͝R̵̷͉̝̩͖̻̥̖̩̂͗ͩ͂ͭ ̼͍̤͚͒͗̇ͨ͐͂Y̸̗̙̼͍̹ͯ̔O̴̧̳̱͍̱̯̱͂͋̚Ù̴̢̺̥̘̟͇͙̌!ͫ͒̇ͨ̀͠͡҉̣̲̫ͅ ̠̼͈̥͍͎͓̉̄̈́̀Ą̶̵̥̺͓̯̹̥̯͊F̮̠̝ͬ̍͂̑̎̂͌ͣ̐T̙̖̲͓ͦ͘E̴̡̤̰̥͎̲͓̯͑̉ͬ̓̅͝R̸͈͕̞̤͙̬̫ͯͪ͌̂̀ ̷̛̣̫̾ͯ͑̄͌ͤ̄̑Å̴̩̭̐͑ͭ͟L̖̔͝L̳͔̹͙͕̙̪͔͊͆ͫͤ̍̈́̏ ̦̭͎̣̠̭̱̙̀̇̐̑ͯ͟Ỹ̶̥̩͉̔͂̽̏̈ͪ͜͠O̜̠̓̀Ṷ̣̟̠̼̘ͤ̄͆̀̚'̰͚͓̬̙̲̔ͬͥͩ̎ͪ̑̐͞V͆̿͆̀͑̉҉̲̮̪̝͜E̬̖̪̝̼͕͒ͬͦ͠͡ ̮͙͍͇ͧͣ̐́͜D̢̟̥̦̘͓̎͊͝͠O̙ͥ́̽́Nͦ̿̑҉̠͈̹͡ͅEͯͣ͌̅ͯ̽̈́͑͘͏҉̻ ̧̧̼͎̥̻̬̬ͦ̅̄͊͑F̛̪̖̗̊̎ͣÔ̥̣̺̈͋͆ͧR͇̻̱̜̜͓̳̣̣ͣ͒̃̈́ͭ̌̏ͫ͜͜ ̼̞̮ͥͨͫ̔͐͜Ṱ͈̙̭̫̮̭ͣͣͥͭ̀̈́̅̓͜H̡̻͈̟̆̃͋ͩ͜E̶̛̬̼̘͕̮̩ͭ̀͂͒̐͌͐̂M̙̱̙̦̩̜͔̲̥̄̍ͫ̊̉̚̚͡.̶̻̱̻̦̻̲ͫͯͬ̄̿̽̐̓̄́͝ ̡̥̖̲̠̗̗͉̩̱̌̉́Ḇ̷̡̗͉̂̚͘Ȗ̙͖̙̟͎́͐͢͝T̨͕̆ ̝̺̖̥̹̋ͨ͗ͦͧ̾͑Y̸̮͚̺̥̗̠͇͋̑ͩ̿̇ͅO̪̟ͪ̇ͭ͊͘͞͡Ṷ̗̳͛ͮ̃ͧ͑̃̌̚ ̆̌ͩ͡҉̱͎G͖̮͙͔ͫ͆̅ͮ̓̊̈̄̈͞Ȯ̸̥̟̞̘̓̔̈͠T̸̛͉̠̘̏̎͋͗ͧͫ̍͠ ̶̡̰̥͇̹̯̐ͯͥ̑ͧͫ͂͠ͅA͓̟̣̐̌̓͗ͨ͛ͬ̇̀ ̭̰̍ͤ͂ͨͮL̽ͯ͗ͣ͌̃̍ͪ͟͏̺͕͇͖̦̗̀I̧̝̋̎ͪ̾͒ͨ͗̕T͍͕̣̗ͮ͂͑̓͊̋ͅͅȚ̩̪̩̞̎ͫ̅̔̃L̶̢̯̜̤͍͇̰̜͒̌Ę̛̼͚͇̊̂ͧ̎ͤͮ ̧̳̮͔ͨ̔̍͂̽̍̉̐̂̀ͅḆ̷̳̳͙̮̯̇͛͂ͦ̇͢͞I̡͓̦̣̘ͩ̀ͯ̈́̂̿ͥ̚͞Ṫ͍̳̖͙̖̫͐ͧͫͤ͝ ̡͇̖̝̜̰̥̗̲ͤ̀O̰̠̺̠͛͊̚U̵̞͈͈͙̮͇̓̀T̢̖̞̃̓̀,̨̼̗̙̜̻̹͖̌ͬͮ̆͟ͅ ̴̡͚͙̜̤̭̬̼̣ͤ͊ͧ͝Y̷͚̘̺̪̎ͣ͟ͅȨ͕͙̣͖̄͠S̶̫͈̪̯͍͓̗͂ͥͪ ̞̺͔̱̹͋̎͗̀̚͟Y̸̡͔̪̫ͤ͐ͦ̈ͪͅO̭̭̖͙̜̙̓ͥȔ̘̿̃̏̃̇ ͇̗͚̎̇̈́̄ͬ̿ͤ̾͋D̶̤̪͙̥̬̥ͧͫ̊̇̀I̴̷̳ͮͧ̐D̯͕̗͎̮̯̰̠ͣ͛̊̈ͮ̿ͦͤ͗.̩̱͗ͬ̍͢  A̡̜̮̰͈̋ͫ͐̈́̂̈̌͘͟͢͝Ņ̶̨͎̤̖͔͉͓̮͔̣͉̖̬̗͔̰̯̦͉ͣ͆ͯ͛͒͌͊̆͆̀̾ͭ͛ͬͪ̚͘͟Ḑ̛̳͖͉̲̜̙͍̞͈̱͕͔̯̮̞̮̥͓̐͊̃͒̿̒ͪ͜ ̨͗ͮ̇̑̊ͧͦ҉͏̯̰͎͈̘̺͕͍̤̭̫̰Ņ̶̷̩̥̞̝͚̙͚͍̦̙̦ͤͩͤͬ͘͢Õ̶̸̷̲̣͙͇͍̗̬̮̫͍̮̘͕̺̭̫̫̟̦̾͐̽͆͂̈̍̊̌ͮ̚̚͟͝W̴̨̲̲̖̫̭̏̿͒͆̿̅ͬ̓̆ͧ̏ͥ̐ͪ͛͝͞ ̸̸̴̦̰̖͔͚͈͚͍͎̤̝̜̉͆̇͆ͩ̑̈̔ͪͭ̈̈̈͒̃͂̿̿͛͜Y̶͚̹̤̪͚̖̮̖̟͇͙̙̪̰͎͍̣̜̘̓ͦ͆͗́̂͠͝͡Oͪ̌̌̾̌̔̒̋̏̿͞҉҉̴̣̰͙͚̭̩̩̣͈̲̺̤̱̩̗̤͜U̧͂̌ͭ̃҉̢̼̦͈̭͔̜̙̯̺͈́ͅ ̶̨̻͎̼ͨ̃͗̏̾ͭ̀̕͘W̢̨̬̳̱̣̫͍̖̦͚͓͇̣͚̦͍̗̯̔͒̒̈́̽͠I̵͖̤̮̞̒̉̆̌̽̊ͫ̀̾ͥ̈́͆͋̈́́̚͟͢͝Ĺ̸̢̧͈̫̤̥͈͉̹̜̙͈̺̘͍̊͑̀̋͗́̉̐͝͞L̨̛̘̟̩̬̋ͪ̀̉̋̏̌͛́ ̷̨͇̺̥̰̥ͤ̔ͤͪͫͮ͋̀̕͞ͅM͓͚͉̫̬͇͚ͧͮ̌̐̐̌͐ͪ͌͋̌̃ͨ̃́͟͢A̴̷̫̥̪̩͕̟̦̩̙̲̝͚̫̫̒̅ͧ̀͆̾ͨ̒̓ͮ̑̉ͧ́͝K̛͖̩̹̟̇̽̾ͨͮ̃̃̈̍̈́̄͞E̵̐́̀̀ͣ̏͐͂̽͌ͭ̚͢͏͘҉̞̞̳̪̦̟̩͚͖͚̥̦̜ ̽ͩ́͒̍̂̄ͨ̄̽̈̇͌̋͏̝̫̖̥Ț̼̭̪̠̠̜̬̠̖͌͑̊̎̎ͥ̔ͥ̈ͤ͋͠H̷͉̮͔̯͔̗̪͚̬̜͍̮͍͇͙̩̆͌ͭͩ̎̽̈́ͧ͌ͧ͐͞ͅE͈̠͎͔̖̰̝̰̮͓̍͌ͪ̌͂ͥ̆͗͂̍ͭ̾͋̒ͫ̈́̚͜͢M̛̂̓̒̌̒̓̓̏҉͏̝͕̟̣͎̠̫̗͚̪̣͓͕͔̗ ̈ͭ͆͌̆ͥ͂̐͏̸̡̜̞͍͚̻̣̮͓̮͖͎͇̞̀́P̲̳̥̺͚̦̭̐̒̐ͫ͛̉̾̆̊̑́̈͐ͤ́̚̚͞Ȁ̷̼̞̦̜͉̪ͫ̏̉̿̄́̒̽͜Ỷ̶̵̡ͬ͑̀̓͆̒ͮͬ̚҉͚͕͖̰̱̝̲͉̞̭̗͙͍͖̳.̶̙̝̻̤̜̻͖̟̰̠̊ͩͬͫͨ͛͆͊̏͆ͩ͋̌̄̓̂͋̚̕͘͟
Sig! Onol

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: October 07, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

I'd be all for immortality also, though I think I'd like to leave myself some sort of opt out if 10,000 years down the road I do get tired of things.  I'm definitely not avoidant about negative experiences.  I just don't see death itself as something so fearful, either.  The worst case scenario is that I cease to think or experience anything, and the thing that bothers me most about that is the inability to continue pursuing my interests... and I only get to care about that while I'm still alive.  It's also something I face with temporary (and not so temporarily in the sense that I'm completely prevented from doing anything that can't be done in a weekend or broken up into two hour chunks) regularity in every day life, in combination with negative experience.  So really the only thing I fear about death is the experience of dying.  There aren't many pleasant ways to go.

I guess I just don't understand the fear of non-existence.  I certainly don't fear any sort of hell, because it makes zero sense for such a thing to exist.  I cannot conceive of the motivation for any sort of creator to set that up.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 11:44:24 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: October 07, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »

I don't fear non-existence, per se. I abhor it. Non-existence is the antithesis of the human mind, and as such I feel obliged to despise and avoid it as the only perfect Other in the universe. Non-existence is so fundamentally opposed to consciousness that we cannot directly observe or describe it. If eldritch abominations exist (in the sense of inherently incomprehensible and inhuman beings), they must by definition not exist. Clap your hands if you don't believe!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:16 am »

It's tricky to define nonexistence, seeing as how when you define something, it exists. And yet we don't exist. You as you are right now wil never exist again - EVER. Sure, your mood, position in the chair, even your thoughts may come close, but they will never match exactly your state of being at that moment. And it's happening all the time. As time passes, infinite yous perish. We all die an eternity of deaths before we actually die; it's only after we're actually dead that we begin to exist.
Sig! Onol

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:10 am »

I was talking about this with my dad yesterday. He asked, "So what is the mind/personality?"

I was all, "I'm an illusion that I believe in."

The me I know I am is an illusion. But I still think it's real, even when I know it's not, because I exist for myself all the time.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: October 08, 2012, 12:20:53 am »

*Drains ocean*
I have a 2k$ computer and that STILL makes my computer run at like 1 action a minute... I have just started using climates with 1 month of winter to create ocean fortresses. Then I turn EVERY SINGLE DWARF into a miner/builder for that one month and frantically try and build supports
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: October 08, 2012, 12:22:25 am »

*Drains ocean*
I have a 2k$ computer and that STILL makes my computer run at like 1 action a minute... I have just started using climates with 1 month of winter to create ocean fortresses. Then I turn EVERY SINGLE DWARF into a miner/builder for that one month and frantically try and build supports
I was using it as a metaphor for how I'd delay death (the ocean), by draining it, but okay.
Sig! Onol

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:18 am »

I was talking about this with my dad yesterday. He asked, "So what is the mind/personality?"

I was all, "I'm an illusion that I believe in."

The me I know I am is an illusion. But I still think it's real, even when I know it's not, because I exist for myself all the time.
But...if you know something's an illusion, then you can't have a full belief in it, and if you have a full belief in something, then you can't know it's an illusion...

* MaximumZero cancels post: Head asplode.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: October 08, 2012, 12:27:49 am »

Well I do exist, at least for myself. I can't deny my own existence y'know?

lol But I can entertain the idea that I am an illusion.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: October 08, 2012, 12:28:50 am »

well, your persona, or the mask you put on around other people, is a lie. But you are always yourself, even if you try to deny that.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: October 08, 2012, 12:29:20 am »

lol But I can entertain the idea that I am an illusion.
Trust me, it's fun being a figment of your own imagination.
Sig! Onol

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: October 08, 2012, 12:30:04 am »

Why not? You think that's air you're breathing?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: October 08, 2012, 12:30:52 am »

I don't fear non-existence, per se. I abhor it. Non-existence is the antithesis of the human mind, and as such I feel obliged to despise and avoid it as the only perfect Other in the universe. Non-existence is so fundamentally opposed to consciousness that we cannot directly observe or describe it. If eldritch abominations exist (in the sense of inherently incomprehensible and inhuman beings), they must by definition not exist. Clap your hands if you don't believe!

This makes a fair amount of sense to me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 1420