Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1962837 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #1065 on: July 15, 2012, 03:53:31 am »

Wasn't it true that a Giant Jellyfish that live in the deepest and coldest waters are so large that you could place one ontop of the Empire State Building and it's tentacles would not only be touching the ground, but covering the street?
So far as I know, no; these are the biggest I found: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomura's_jellyfish
2 meter diameter.
The largest known invertebrate is the Collosal Squid;
including tentacles, they grow to 12-14 meters. Though they live so deep it's near impossible to come across one which isn't already dead/dying; and the first video of one in the wild wasn't taken until 2005.
Here's an image of the swivelling hooks they have. They're about a centimeter to an inch long.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:56:31 am by alway »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1066 on: July 15, 2012, 04:11:35 am »

Ah, a swarm of floating, living gelatin with no mind or control over themselves that happen to be covered in virulently deadly stinging cells with hair triggers. Oh wait, they're invisible too. :) Have a nice swim.
No mind? They have nine brains. The dominant brain controls their hatred for all things swimming.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 15, 2012, 08:02:41 pm »

Wasn't it true that a Giant Jellyfish that live in the deepest and coldest waters are so large that you could place one ontop of the Empire State Building and it's tentacles would not only be touching the ground, but covering the street?

You're probably thinking about siphonophores. Technically not jellyfish. They're colonial animals which can grow up to almost any length (having been found upwards of 40 meters). Each individual organism serves a specific purpose for the colony, such as catching food or else propelling the colony through the water. Most live in very deep water, but there are some which live on the surface, such as the Portuguese Man-of-War, which is often mistaken for a jellyfish.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 15, 2012, 10:11:20 pm »

You talking about these?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Naaah... not intimidating in the slightest.
Photoshopped, sadly. :P

the longest known animal is a type of worm that lives in freezing seas (can't remember the name)

it gets lengths longer than blue whales.
You're thinking of Nemerteans, also known as "Proboscis worms" because they have a venomous spike on a fleshy appendage they can shoot out of their face. The longest one was 54 metres long.

[...]siphonophores.[...]
Praya dubia is the one I'd heard of. Wikipedia says 40-50 metres long, but nobody really knows how long they can get because they explode and disintigrate if brought up from the deep sea. They also glow light blue in the dark and look creepy and cool.

Biology is awesome guys!

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 16, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »

^this thread is terrifying.

But not as scary as Spirited Away somehow is.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:14:50 pm by Remalle »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 16, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »

Spirited Away is delightful! Though I can see how it can be unnerving with how alien the movie's world is, and just how bizarre Japanese folklore is to western audiences.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 16, 2012, 06:09:28 pm »

MLP shed.mov was... Forcibly shown to me recently. I'm not a brony, so let's not let that aspect of the conversation get out of control.

Hey hey hey, I thought I told you to stay out of my shed! *Revs chainsaw* 

Fat Albert will never sound the same again.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1072 on: July 16, 2012, 06:16:02 pm »

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE TERRIFYING THINGS

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 16, 2012, 06:26:25 pm »

I stay far, far away from the .movs. Shed.mov was the only one not posted on EqD, so I suspect it's the worst of the lot.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:35 pm »

I stay far, far away from the .movs. Shed.mov was the only one not posted on EqD, so I suspect it's the worst of the lot.

I found the .movs to be excessively, arbitrarily vulgar and obscene. Shed.mov was the most musically inclined though atleast.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 16, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »

Yeah, the .movs were my first experience with MLP. It was not a good first impression.

I did see some episode thingy of some sort where Rainbow dash is going so fast he ought to have caught fire and skeletonized, but it was a music video, so I didn't have any context. It seemed to be some sort of race.
I digress.

Today, there was a bee in my car, in the back window. Not a big deal, I kept it back there with wind, cuz I'm fast. But I parked, and when I came back, it was gone. Couldn't find it. My windows were closed. :/ I'm allergic.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 16, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

Today, there was a bee in my car, in the back window. Not a big deal, I kept it back there with wind, cuz I'm fast. But I parked, and when I came back, it was gone. Couldn't find it. My windows were closed. :/ I'm allergic.
When you forget and get in your car tomorrow, little will you know, it will crawl across the back of your seat and onto your neck...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 16, 2012, 07:39:09 pm »

Yeah. I know. :/ Anaphylactic shock is no fun when you don't have an epipen.
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1078 on: July 16, 2012, 07:45:56 pm »

One more reason why Jellyfish are terrifying.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 16, 2012, 07:50:57 pm »

Jellyfish: For being mostly made of water, they're pretty fucking badass.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 1420