Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964334 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #945 on: June 22, 2012, 06:22:46 pm »

seriously, if you take these due to being depressed, all you are really doing is screwing up your lives more.

Telling a truly depressed person not to do something immediately gratifying because it is self-destructive in the long term is like telling a starving person to avoid unhealthy foods...

Personally, caffeine is my only drug.  I've never done anything else.  I've taken alcohol, but never enough to even get slightly buzzed.  I consider my purity of consciousness sacred, but that's a personal value and I've heard very good arguments against even believing there is such a thing as purity of consciousness.  Unless you're doing Krokodil, meth, heroin, sniffing gasoline, or something equally insane, you'll get no judgment from me.  Some people are capable of greatly enhancing their lives with substances that are usually seen as horrible.  Some super intelligent people have experimented with LSD, for example, and found immense inspiration and fulfilling self-knowledge through it.  Other people just want to scramble themselves.  In general, I don't see drug use as a basis for judging someone unless I know them very well.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: June 22, 2012, 06:31:01 pm »

Coping methods are fine and all if they don't create greater problems. Addictive drugs create greater problems. Drowning depression in alcohol is one of the worst things you can do.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 22, 2012, 06:39:59 pm »

Coping methods are fine and all if they don't create greater problems. Addictive drugs create greater problems. Drowning depression in alcohol is one of the worst things you can do.

Agreed.  Discouragement is good, similar to how you just stated it.  I just think that loss of respect for someone for behaving desperately when they are actually desperate is a little unfair, and that drug use in general isn't a very black & white issue.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:04 pm »

Ah, I see what you're saying then. Yeah, people have this ludicrous idea that insulting others will fix their problems. Depression? Stop being so angsty. ADHD? Stop being so lazy, you bum. Lack self respect? Don't be so whiny!

Most people if they found someone with a knife stuck in their arm would try to pull it out. But when it's metaphorical knives and mental pain, they go up and twist it instead. It's pretty sickening.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 22, 2012, 06:59:22 pm »

Most people if they found someone with a knife stuck in their arm would try to pull it out. But when it's metaphorical knives and mental pain, they go up and twist it instead. It's pretty sickening.

Exactly

Except greatorder, I do not think you said anything as bad as what kaijyuu is describing and do not want you to feel that bad.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:50 pm »

alcohol (if not overused), caffeine (same for alcohol, if not overused) and medical drugs I'm fine with (including morphine, which is low concentration heroin, IIRC and similar drugs) but smoking, I'm against (fucks up your lungs) and things like LSD, marijuana etc., I am also against.
seriously, if you take these due to being depressed, all you are really doing is screwing up your lives more. I may not report you to the police or something, but my respect for you will be somewhat lowered. More so if I personally know the person taking drugs.

:)
Morphine kills people. And yes, it is 'low concentration heroin' in a sense. Heroin is dimorphine. They're actually seperate but related chemicals. Caffiene has killed people. Alcohol kills people EVERY DAY. Smoking, yes, I hate smoking. And what exactly does, 'Things like LSD marijuana, etc.' mean?
Did you know that there has never been a non-elephant death from LSD? Did you know marijuana is both a stimulant, depressent AND a hallucinogen? Did you know marijuana has three times as much tar as cigarettes? Did you know the psilocybin muschrooms are LESS TOXIC THAN ASPIRIN?
I do. I researched drugs before I did them. I had reasons behind getting addicted beyond 'I'm sad! Make me happy!', thank you very much. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: June 23, 2012, 10:16:39 am »

A couple of days ago our garage's roof started to cave in, so my mom paid someone she knew to fix up the roof. Just today, I overheard my mom say that she was told that termites are the reason for the cave-in, so now we need to check the basement and other wooden stuff. Cue paranoia.  :o

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: June 23, 2012, 12:41:41 pm »

That's creepy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #953 on: June 23, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »

A couple of days ago our garage's roof started to cave in, so my mom paid someone she knew to fix up the roof. Just today, I overheard my mom say that she was told that termites are the reason for the cave-in, so now we need to check the basement and other wooden stuff. Cue paranoia.  :o
Paranoia about what?
Termites, basements, or basement termites?

Basement termite basements?

Termites building series of termite fortresses in your basement?

More cave ins being detected in the caverns? basement?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 23, 2012, 03:16:19 pm »

termite clowns!
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: June 25, 2012, 02:57:53 am »

There's a spider near my light. This is my worst fear.

I don't care much. I need a better fear.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: June 25, 2012, 04:30:08 am »

I just spent the better part of 20 minutes trapsing up and down a secluded wood path in dayz trying to find the gun I dropped accidentally. It's 2 in the morning, pitch black, I can hear zombies in the distance and I need to use a flashlight to find it, broadcasting my position to anyone in the area.
I think it was the most intense and terrifying experience of my gaming career.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 25, 2012, 06:49:49 am »

Day Z?
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 25, 2012, 07:38:50 am »

There's a spider near my light. This is my worst fear.

I don't care much. I need a better fear.

Just wait until it stands on the light itself.

Spidey-Signals.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 25, 2012, 07:42:00 am »

That is neither as terrifying nor as cool as bat signals.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1420