Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964188 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #510 on: January 08, 2012, 02:22:31 am »

I'm a chronic daydreamer. Don't put me behind the wheel of car, because I'll go off into outer space and smash into a mailbox or something.

I know because I had 5 minor accidents in the span of about 8 months after I got my drivers license (one of which was, indeed, a mailbox). Since then I avoid driving as much as possible.
I'm a pretty chronic day-dreamer, but I'm so mortally terrified of anything bad happening when I'm in the car that my mind is about as focused as it gets.

Pretty much, the moment anything goes bad when I'm in the car (stalled at the lights, messed up a gear-change, forgot to do some sort of check), I turn into an apologetic wreck. I'm so high-strung when driving!
I can never calm down behind the wheel of a car. Ever. It makes me nervous and paranoid to the point of involuntary shaking. Driving will leave me feeling exhausted and panicked for long periods after the fact.

I hope that goes away eventually.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 08, 2012, 02:24:46 am »

Assuming you guys are pretty young, you'll get more comfortable with driving over time, assuming you do so regularly.  Also, imagine the pressure when learning to ride a motorcycle :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 08, 2012, 03:36:45 am »

Assuming you guys are pretty young, you'll get more comfortable with driving over time, assuming you do so regularly.  Also, imagine the pressure when learning to ride a motorcycle :P
Now comeon, some of us do experience freedom while flying down a highway on a motorcycle. And some of us have experience the DANGERs of fucking up badly on a motorcycle, bonus if you jump right back on.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 08, 2012, 04:00:12 am »

Now comeon, some of us do experience freedom while flying down a highway on a motorcycle. And some of us have experience the DANGERs of fucking up badly on a motorcycle, bonus if you jump right back on.

I've survived an accident myself.  Went into a ditch at about 40 mph, and slid in my face for like 40 yards.  I was fully suited up in gear, though.  Walked away from it with a very slightly sprained ankle and a small scratch on my stomach.  The bike was completely totaled.  Twisted all to shit.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 08, 2012, 05:06:25 am »

I've survived an accident too. I was on my pushbike doing about 65km/h - 40 mph down a hill, when a car saw me coming and accelerated instead of braked. I hit them in the side of their car, denting the side of their bonnet. I flew over the car and my bike flew with me- i landed on the ground and skidded along asphalt/bitumen for a good four metres. I was in my school uniform, but I had a helmet with me thankfully, otherwise I would've certainly died.

As it was, I managed to walk away with multiple abrasions, lacerations, arms profusely weeping blood, knees and legs bleeding, sprained both elbows, jarred both shoulders, minor whiplash and a twisted ankle. I hopped up and checked my bike (oh the things you do when the adrenaline kicks in) and it was fine, aside from a twisted fork and a single buckled wheel. The woman driving the car leapt out and asked about 95353434 times if I was alright, which I pretty much was despite the fact that blood was pouring from all of my limbs and my nose. She drove off rather shaken, and I lifted my bike up and walked the remaining kilometre home, and then had a shower to clean the blood off, then used 1:5 disinfectant:water mix to treat the cuts and abrasions. I still have scars on my elbows and knees from it, but the bike's still in use today. The wheel and fork were replaced, but the bike's still working fine.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 08, 2012, 11:32:45 am »

Its funny how most riders jump up from certain death and check their bike ignoring for a moment bodily injuries :P
last accident was last month, I drive during the winter due to my job still but you know after three days of salting there should be no ice. Wrong, hit a patch, dumped on side, rolled most of the way, I landed on my left knee which suffered deep tissue damage. Missed the curb by inches which without my helmet would have gave myself a smiley. Swore a bunch, look at bike, saw cosmetic damage, swore more and pick the bike back up.

Moral of any motorcycle story: Helmets Saves Lives children

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 08, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

Oh aye. I've had many a kerfuffle where without a helmet, I would've been seriously injured. Btw, the helmet from that crash actually split in two when I got home. From my knowledge that's when the helmet's protected as much as it can.

RIP, Mongoose Racer-X. It lives on as part of a frankensteinian bike my sister and I made together as a little art fun thing to make the bogans/rednecks see red due to its odd look.
I was 13 when I had the crash. I'm 19 now. :P

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 08, 2012, 04:36:08 pm »

People who wear just a helmet and no other protective gear make me cringe.  I'd rather die from my head exploding than from massive road rash.  Even if you survive, the recovery process is even more horrific than the injury itself.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 08, 2012, 05:01:08 pm »

People who wear just a helmet and no other protective gear make me cringe.  I'd rather die from my head exploding than from massive road rash.  Even if you survive, the recovery process is even more horrific than the injury itself.
*shrugs*
Jeans and a jacket is all i wear.

Road rash they got analgesics and treatments to get you back on your feet fully. Scrambling your brains, well hopefully you can speak coherently.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 08, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »

*shrugs*
Jeans and a jacket is all i wear.

Road rash they got analgesics and treatments to get you back on your feet fully. Scrambling your brains, well hopefully you can speak coherently.

IMO jeans and a jacket is a heck of a lot better than shorts and t-shirt, which I see disturbingly often.

KG

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 08, 2012, 05:48:14 pm »

Jeans and a jacket is alright, so long as it's a tough jacket.  I personally couldn't stand to ride without boots and gloves also.

And yeah, you can recover from road rash, but it's torture.  Peeling off old bandages that take healing flesh with them and scrubbing the wounds every day.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 08, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »

>Motorcycles
Off the top of my head, I can think of four different family members who were badly injured in motorcycle crashes. I definitely never intend to get on one of those.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 08, 2012, 06:14:04 pm »

Jeans and a jacket is alright, so long as it's a tough jacket.  I personally couldn't stand to ride without boots and gloves also.

And yeah, you can recover from road rash, but it's torture.  Peeling off old bandages that take healing flesh with them and scrubbing the wounds every day.
i made myself mentally retarded once, tell yea that was a shocker trying to get up, good thing that only last for a week.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 08, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »

I do not have a motorcycle, but I've ridden a bike and that's cool. Motorcycles sound terrifying.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 08, 2012, 06:24:01 pm »

I do not have a motorcycle, but I've ridden a bike and that's cool. Motorcycles sound terrifying.
Biking is fun too, specially mountain biking, i used to own a custom built i cliff jump with and ride up trails.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 1420