Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1968406 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #9945 on: October 10, 2014, 04:50:27 pm »

Just read about the idea of the absence of good. Essentially, evil is like darkness: it cannot be created or projected. So you can't make a flashdark, for instance, that creates a beam that makes a lit surface become dark (Hey, there's a SCP idea). Darkness is the absence of light, thus evil is the absence of good. It all sounded sort of okay up until the point I realized that since it's a theological argument... If God had to consciously create light, that means that light (and thus good) is newly created in the cosmos. Thus, it means that darkness is the natural state of being. Perhaps the same thing applies to evil?

Perhaps that's the reason why it's an outdated idea. It would suck living in a world where being good is profoundly unnatural. Or maybe I'm stretching the metaphor of "darkness = evil" too far.
Remember that "good" and "evil" are social constructs, and they aren't even well-defined, much less objective. So you can't talk about goodness like it's a property of things, which would be the flawed premise of your entire train of thought.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: October 10, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: October 10, 2014, 04:59:41 pm »

Just read about the idea of the absence of good. Essentially, evil is like darkness: it cannot be created or projected. So you can't make a flashdark, for instance, that creates a beam that makes a lit surface become dark (Hey, there's a SCP idea). Darkness is the absence of light, thus evil is the absence of good. It all sounded sort of okay up until the point I realized that since it's a theological argument... If God had to consciously create light, that means that light (and thus good) is newly created in the cosmos. Thus, it means that darkness is the natural state of being. Perhaps the same thing applies to evil?

Perhaps that's the reason why it's an outdated idea. It would suck living in a world where being good is profoundly unnatural. Or maybe I'm stretching the metaphor of "darkness = evil" too far.
Remember that "good" and "evil" are social constructs, and they aren't even well-defined, much less objective. So you can't talk about goodness like it's a property of things, which would be the flawed premise of your entire train of thought.
Well, it's all opinion, isn't it? Mixing light and darkness with good and evil does ring of mixing the subjective with the objective. Again, it's a theological argument.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: October 10, 2014, 07:17:33 pm »

Not to mention, in what way is "evil" the absence of "good"? Evil actions aren't not-doing good, they're doing active evil. Such as murder, rape, theft, pig-eating, etc.

Unless the argument is that people are by default good? In which case, where's the proof? I mean, I agree with that, but that's just because I'm an optimist, I don't *actually* have a reason beyond evolutionary psychology (hahahahahaha) to say that people are "by default" good. :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:08 pm »

It is odd to assume that being evil is inactivity. In some cases, it actually takes a lot of effort to be evil.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: October 10, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »

Today I learned that I am a hypocrite.

Today I learned that I do not want to be a hypocrite.

I learned both from someone who is a hypocrite in the same way as me and does not want to be one either.

Political conscience is worthless without action. According to my own standards I should be in Syria right now, rifle in hand.
That is terrifying.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: October 10, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »

Dammit, Helgo! You made me have an epiphany that I disliked!
Ayup, that's the very same thing that happened to me. But I kinda wanted to not be that lazy...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: October 10, 2014, 07:38:18 pm »

Today I learned that I am a hypocrite.

Today I learned that I do not want to be a hypocrite.

I learned both from someone who is a hypocrite in the same way as me and does not want to be one either.

Political conscience is worthless without action. According to my own standards I should be in Syria right now, rifle in hand.
That is terrifying.
You're not a hypocrite, you just have ideals and goals that contradict each other.
At least, I think that's different from hypocrisy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: October 10, 2014, 09:52:54 pm »

My brother is now a hunter, and owns a 270 Savage (?) hunting rifle.

I am generally concerned wether or not he'd have the stones to use it if he happens to throw a tantrum again. He already has the guts to hit his mother, and he's already stupid enough to wail on me while I tell him it doesn't hurt, and occasionally go upstairs and punch the walls repeatedly during said tantrums.

If there's bullets for it in the house, I'm going to remove the bolt and keep it under the house until he needs it to go hunting.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: October 10, 2014, 10:06:57 pm »

I am generally concerned wether or not he'd have the stones to use it if he happens to throw a tantrum again. He already has the guts to hit his mother, and he's already stupid enough to wail on me while I tell him it doesn't hurt, and occasionally go upstairs and punch the walls repeatedly during said tantrums.

If there's bullets for it in the house, I'm going to remove the bolt and keep it under the house until he needs it to go hunting.

Your brother has behavior/anger problems and yet his parents got him a gun? Baffling!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #9955 on: October 10, 2014, 10:24:32 pm »

It is baffling. That's a downright idiotic thing to do.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:31:21 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: October 10, 2014, 10:28:12 pm »

I was using it in the ironic/sarcasm sense, like 'what the hell are they thinking!'

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: October 11, 2014, 01:37:06 am »

@_@
So...how did your brother...who is younger than you...and not of legal age acquire a lethal firearm complete with ammunition again? In the first place?

Given his issues?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: October 11, 2014, 02:48:20 am »

@_@
So...how did your brother...who is younger than you...and not of legal age acquire a lethal firearm complete with ammunition again? In the first place?

Given his issues?

'murrika.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9959 on: October 11, 2014, 07:26:57 am »

Wow.

Are...is it really that easy?

I mean, surely not even America would make it that easy?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 1420