Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965433 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #7515 on: June 13, 2014, 01:34:14 pm »

So, uh, two things.
a) If you don't tell people anything about why they should or shouldn't do something, they will.
b) I try no to be overly sensitive about what people say on the internet, but this just rubs me the wrong way. Do you often judge people by their looks? You basically told us to never even try to know a person because of a physical deformity. I know you think you're being funny or whatever, but just, no. I know too many people judged because of disabilities or deformities, it's just not cool.

I know how reverse psychology works.

b) just sounds like you're deliberately trying to get offended. There's judging people by their looks and there is legitimately warning people against using Google Image Search on someone who looks grotesquely, horribly deformed because that's not a thing some people want to have thrown in their faces due to how Google search works. If I told you not to google pictures of Hiroshima surviors with their skin literally peeling of their flesh with touch, would you be offended that I didn't say 'oh, and by the way, s/he is a really cool person'?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:21 pm »

Well, no, you said google her. You could have said "If you google [image search] this woman, be warned that ohgodherface because medical issue." to still get the same impact, while still being able to say "BTW she's a pretty cool woman besides that."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: June 13, 2014, 01:59:25 pm »

So, uh, two things.
a) If you don't tell people anything about why they should or shouldn't do something, they will.
b) I try no to be overly sensitive about what people say on the internet, but this just rubs me the wrong way. Do you often judge people by their looks? You basically told us to never even try to know a person because of a physical deformity. I know you think you're being funny or whatever, but just, no. I know too many people judged because of disabilities or deformities, it's just not cool.

I know how reverse psychology works.

b) just sounds like you're deliberately trying to get offended. There's judging people by their looks and there is legitimately warning people against using Google Image Search on someone who looks grotesquely, horribly deformed because that's not a thing some people want to have thrown in their faces due to how Google search works. If I told you not to google pictures of Hiroshima surviors with their skin literally peeling of their flesh with touch, would you be offended that I didn't say 'oh, and by the way, s/he is a really cool person'?
I may just be tired and grumpy today, haven't been sleeping well. I'll withdraw my complaints and apologize at this point.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:06 pm »

Well, no, you said google her. You could have said "If you google [image search] this woman, be warned that ohgodherface because medical issue." to still get the same impact, while still being able to say "BTW she's a pretty cool woman besides that."

Guess it's my fault for equivocating GIS and normal google search.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: June 13, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »

At least for me, if you google search a name it'll bring up a few pictures anyway.

But for deformities, it really isn't all that bad. She looks unhealthy and rather skeletal, but it's not like her skin is turning into Rot City or anything.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: June 13, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »

She looks like a regular starving African kid.

What I really recommend not googling is Tryphobia (not going to google that to make sure I got the right spelling >.>). It's absolutely disgusting and makes my skin literally tingle for up to half an hour.

I'm repeatedly rubbing my arms now to make the feeling go away. Should not have thought about it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: June 13, 2014, 05:20:34 pm »

White phosphorus.

'Nuff said.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: June 13, 2014, 05:46:29 pm »

White phosphorus.

'Nuff said.

I actually googled that recently.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: June 13, 2014, 05:46:50 pm »

Every time I've ever seen trypophobia mentioned, it's been by a trypophobia person scaring themselves. I don't really know what that says about the phobia.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: June 13, 2014, 06:42:58 pm »

Is it even a phobia? Is anyone not freaked out by that shit? If everyone is afraid of something it's not a fear, just a fact of life. Right?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7525 on: June 13, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »

I mean, I think it's gross looking, but Dutchling's reaction is way worse than mine. I looked it up to make sure I spelled it right and saw a few pictures and was still bothered a lot less than him.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: June 13, 2014, 06:54:26 pm »

Trypophobia is a primal fear of sort, but I think that if you don't get anxiety attacks, it's not phobia in the medical term. Like how being afraid is usually normal for everyone, but if you're obsessed with the anxiety of your death then you have thanatophobia.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: June 13, 2014, 06:56:53 pm »

Yeah, that was my point. I just forgot to actually make the point after I gave my example.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:10 pm »

I'm confused. Wikipedia tells me it's a phobia of surfaces/textures with holes in them, yet Google's images show a lot of pictures of a fairly specific-looking condition. Is there a name for whatever disease gives those people the freaky holes in their skin?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: June 13, 2014, 06:59:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure a lot of those pictures are photoshopped to fuck with people with trypophobia (hey let's mix your fear with body horror, why not), and the rest are random rashes and gross shit that happens to look like it. I doubt it's a specific disease.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:01:02 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 1420