Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1967659 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #7155 on: May 05, 2014, 02:40:44 pm »

It's about the forementioned comments about the usefulness of postmodern architecture -- and in particular, how it brought to mind some "fancy" structures at my workplace that are very artsy but not that useful (and very expensive. Certainly more expensive than other still artsy but-less-so-and-actually-more-useful buildings in the complex. And far more expensive than what a functional building would've cost. Also the aesthethics are debatable. )
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7156 on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:31 pm »

I just reached into my backpack to rummage about for something and froze when my fingers encountered something which felt like it was covered in some wet, slimy substance. I stood there a moment, eyes wide in horror and trepidation, then gingerly pulled it out, ready to panic.
It was a piece of thin plastic wrapper which had wrapped itself around my MP3 player, causing a weird feeling when I grabbed it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7157 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:12 pm »

I just reached into my backpack to rummage about for something and froze when my fingers encountered something which felt like it was covered in some wet, slimy substance. I stood there a moment, eyes wide in horror and trepidation, then gingerly pulled it out, ready to panic.
It was a piece of thin plastic wrapper which had wrapped itself around my MP3 player, causing a weird feeling when I grabbed it.
Hehe...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7158 on: May 06, 2014, 12:15:13 am »

An email I wrote is percolating through upper management. Oh god this is getting out of hand >_________>
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7159 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:14 am »

What was the email, if I may ask?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7160 on: May 06, 2014, 12:20:30 am »

Oh god this is getting out of hand >_________>
Now there are two of them?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: May 06, 2014, 12:31:23 am »

What was the email, if I may ask?
Basically a page-long ramble about how a current major project is being handled poorly and extremely detailed suggestions for how to fix it.

I have two fears - that whoever came up with the current plan takes offense at this (I'd only aimed it the lowest level of management, under the fairly reasonable assumption that they were as roped into this as we are), and that the fact that I never clarified that I meant "median" when I said "average" leads to the whole thing getting cocked up if they implement it.

EDIT: Also, it's triggered a minor shitstorm in the form of everybody else in a position to say so pointing out (very real) flaws in the current strategy that hadn't occurred to me. Basically, as it stands, the entire scheme is getting torn to the ground.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:35:30 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: May 06, 2014, 12:56:32 am »

Isn't that (except for the average/median thing,) a good thing, though? The fact that it wasn't just ignored means that a) things may get fixed, and b) someone in upper management is willing to try to make things better. You don't find b very often.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: May 06, 2014, 01:00:02 am »

Oh, yeah, definitely, if everything goes well it's fantastic. I am skeptical that this is the case, however - when I say percolating, I mean it's making its way upward (we're on Assistant Director now, IIRC). If it winds up at somebody who just wants blind affirmation, and I'm confident there's at least one such person in the chain of command, I could find myself on a social superior's bad side. Mind you, I'm practically unfirable unless I do something stupid and I'm probably quitting in about 3 months so it's not a big practical problem, but from a purely emotional standpoint I find the prospect of such a situation petrifying.

EDIT: In retrospect "percolate" is a verb that is completely the wrong one since it implies downward motion. But whatever. >____>
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:13:25 am by Bauglir »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: May 06, 2014, 06:53:23 am »

I'm nervous about work today, too.  Someone on the other side of the world fucked up badly, and I'm the one caught in the middle of the fallout over here.  It's something that could get quietly fixed without turning into a major thing, or it could end up getting lots of important people involved, wanting to chew out anyone remotely involved who they can sink their teeth into.... and I'll be first in line.

And it's something I technically could have caught and prevented, but only by cross-referencing one minor bit of information between two documents that I don't have any reason to look at except to hypothetically prevent this situation from occurring... which has only happened this one time in the 9 months that I've been working here.  And everyone above me who has reviewed what happened seems to think I should have caught it.  Pre-screening our documentation for completeness and accuracy and fixing the problems I find already takes almost my entire day every day, and the list of things I'm expected to check and prevent seems to grow a little bit more every week.  It's very nearly to the point of being unmanageable now for even an average volume of workload.

I don't understand why this shit has to be so intense.  Why the process of moving some stuff from Point A to Point B has to feel like going to war every day.  People need to chill the fuck out and just understand that shit happens.  The vast majority of stuff we handle goes smoothly, but we handle so much that of course there's always a problem to be found somewhere.  It shouldn't have to amount to making anyone's life any more miserable or complicated.  It's just not fucking worth it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7165 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:28 am »

AP Calculus BC test is tomorrow. So nervous D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7166 on: May 07, 2014, 03:27:15 am »

<chop chop chop>
But if they don't find someone to blame, they have to blame themselves or nothing.
Hang on, management can always find someone expendable to blame. I think it's a requirement of being a manager.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: May 07, 2014, 03:36:14 am »

Oh dear... Should we nuke them before they start opening hellmouths?
You mean they haven't yet?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7168 on: May 07, 2014, 03:37:30 am »

Nah, last time I checked google maps, they were still drawing a giant country spanning satanic symbol.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: May 07, 2014, 03:42:50 am »

Nah, last time I checked google maps, they were still drawing a giant country spanning satanic symbol.
Wha- Oh wait you aren't using the updated map aren't you?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 476 477 [478] 479 480 ... 1420