Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965729 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6960 on: April 09, 2014, 10:08:12 pm »

Playing Call of Pripyat, with MISERY 2.1 installed. Notice there's about to be an emission. I immediately run for cover, and as I do so, the sky darkens, thunder rolls, and the siren starts blaring. Get to the nearest cover, the Krug Antenna Complex. Get to the basement, turn a corner, bam. Two bloodsuckers. I get one reflex shot off, and it misses. Even if a point blank shotgun shell killed one, there was no way I was gonna get another. Shit pants, die, quit game. Huddle under covers for five minutes.

One of the things I loved about that game:  how events like that force you out of your comfort zone, where preparation and improvisation are both really important.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6961 on: April 09, 2014, 11:05:00 pm »

Yeah, in vanilla, I would have stood a chance though. I had bandages, I had medkits, I had a shotgun with 24 shots, I would have made it. It would have been tough, but I would have. Misery though? I stood zero chance. It takes three hits from a blind dog to kill me from full health, and they make noise. Bloodsuckers don't make noise in Misery, so you can't tell where they are until they're in your face. Oh, and this was the easy start. There's an option where you start with a knife and a flashlight. No armor, no gun, nothing. Have fun.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6962 on: April 09, 2014, 11:31:23 pm »

Well, it's not as though they were kidding when they called it "Misery." It feeds on your pain and grows more powerful. One day Misery will become sentient at which point it will combine with Dwarf Fortress and enslave humanity.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6963 on: April 09, 2014, 11:55:48 pm »

Well, after it winds it's way across the world in the most contrived and pointlessly long paths possible, using non-Euclidean geometry and violating Newton's Laws to make the journey even slower, because Dwarf Fortress.
But we're totally screwed once it finishes with
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6965 on: April 10, 2014, 06:05:31 pm »

Whilst organizing years olds worth of images, I stumbled upon this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Honestly was going to post this in the happy thread. Thinking better of it, I considered that most people wouldn't find being torn apart by wolves all that happy.
In any case, you gave them hell Ben, you gave them hell.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6966 on: April 10, 2014, 06:12:13 pm »

I wasn't going to sleep tonight anyways.

Ok, it's one thing to do taxidermy badly and end up with something creepy looking.  That, on the other hand, is some serious necromantic shit.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6967 on: April 10, 2014, 06:23:49 pm »

I wasn't going to sleep tonight anyways.
I didn't intend to sleep either. In fact I intended to sit in a corner nervously holding a rifle all week.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6968 on: April 10, 2014, 06:48:11 pm »

Is it really supposed to be that scary? They say the internet makes you jaded but that just brings me two reactions:
  • I wonder what it'd taste like.
  • Probably shouldn't try.

Though now that I think about it, it could be some kind of challenge trying to make it not only edible - but delicious!
With further consideration, people eat squid and jellyfish, both much more terrifying than botched taxidermy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6969 on: April 10, 2014, 06:53:57 pm »

In hindsight I think I'm just really hungry.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6970 on: April 10, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »

I wonder how exactly did he make this dog? It has at least two sets of jaws.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6971 on: April 11, 2014, 12:27:20 am »

Huh. I get scared pretty easily, but that doesn't even make me slightly nervous. It just looks kinda dumb.

Edit: I seem to be in an odd mood. I looked up the Smile Dog pasta (something that I didn't really want to read, since apparently it's pretty scary) and the ending made me giggle. Huh.

Something about the person being a complete troll just made it seem funny instead of scary. I think that since I was already in a somewhat lighthearted mood, the words conveyed the wrong tone.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:36:26 am by Elephant Parade »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6972 on: April 12, 2014, 10:02:19 pm »

So, I commented on the Medieval Ghostbusters thread on Creative Projects.

I made a lengthy question about whether the game was supposed to be scary scary, like demons with fire for eyes jumping out of nowhere at you, or creepy scary, like a pair of red eyes on a noticeably large figure stalking you indefinitely.

The image actually freaked me out in my own head. I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Thankfully, I have not yet managed to come up with an image that truly scares the heck out of me because my brain won't let me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6973 on: April 13, 2014, 01:15:58 am »

So, I was minding my own business out in the Zone, anomaly diving in the Claw Anomaly, when a pack of Fleshes comes running up. With me being at a quarter health, I quickly run up a steep portion of the hill, and begin picking them off. I kill them all, and go down and butcher the corpses. No sooner do I finish when a Pseudodog comes running at me. It barely misses me, and I charge back up the hill, and start shooting. Get it down, and I'm running low on ammo. Head down, loot it, two more Pseudodogs charge me. Back up the hill, turn around, and see a flicker of movement following a dog. That flicker turns into a Bloodsucker. Oh shit, it just got real. I kill the last two pseudodogs, and wait. And wait. No sign of the bloodsucker. Granted, it's got crazy invisibility powers, but hey, I've been sitting here for ten minutes. Head down, loot the dogs, see TWO bloodsuckers charge me. Back up the damn hill. So, now I'm sitting on a radioactive, anomaly ridden pile of rock, trying to figure out if the invisible mindflayer lookalikes are still here. Man, MISERY makes this game a whole hell of a lot more tense.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6974 on: April 14, 2014, 03:11:56 am »

Watching Game of Thrones.
Not exactly "terrifying" as such, but it's pretty damn intense- enough so that I felt the need to pause it for a minute. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 463 464 [465] 466 467 ... 1420