Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964918 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6735 on: March 13, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »

So I'm going to be participating in a German-American exchange program. I'll be hosting a German student for three weeks, and in the summer I'll be going to Germany for three weeks.
I am getting very nervous now. My exchange partner is flying over in 16 days, and I'm beginning to see issues I didn't think much about when I signed up, mainly that I'm weird and quiet and a little bit socially awkward. While I don't imagine it will be a problem talking to the German student, I'm worried that I'll ruin his experience with my lack of interaction. Although people would probably be more likely to talk then the German student than to me, I'm worried most about lunch. I don't know anyone at my lunch, and so for the whole year I have sat alone. I kinda think that he'd want to see what the typical American school lunch is like, rather than what mine is like.
As a person who has had several german exchange students before here's my basic pieces of advice:
1) When you first meet them treat them as someone you've known for a long time, not as a new person. Personally the best exchange students I've ever had are the ones who I immediately started talking with like a friend, even if it's just about the differences between here and there.
2) Tell them that it's ok to ask questions, and answer said questions. It will give you an easy conversation topic, if nothing else.
3) Germans can seem demanding sometimes, this is due to the language translation. If it seems like they are ordering you around it's just a language thing, don't get offended.
4) Ask them at the beginning if they want you to correct them if they say something wrong.
5) Don't treat them like a guest. Treat them like a family member. If that means they need to do their own laundry/other chores then tell them so.
6) Go do things and do them as soon as possible, connecting is a good thing (obviously account for jet lag on the first day if needed). This especially applies while at home, don't leave them all alone in their room, go play a game or something.
7) Ask him if there is anything in particular they'd like to see/do while they are here. Do it if possible (or explain why it would be a hilarious/horrible idea :P).
8) I probably wouldn't worry too much about lunch, if you really don't know anyone at all it's only for a short period of time each day, and it will give you a chance to talk with them more.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: March 13, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »

He has good advice. My parents host college exchange students from asian sister-schools (we're on the west coast of America so those are apparently the bulk of the exchange students) and that's how it goes.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: March 13, 2014, 02:45:21 pm »

Well, this was technically yesterday, but anyway...

I'm just sitting around, playin' some Pokemon, when all of a sudden some small object like a thin book or cardboard box tips over from a shelf or table or something and falls. I practically jumped out of my socks for almost no reason at all.

I have not found what fell yet.

The only explanation is my house belonged to a funeral-less dwarf.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: March 13, 2014, 03:54:35 pm »

Maybe the guy will even end up dragging you along to meet new people during said lunch break, either resulting in you making new friends, or at the very least some hilariously awkward scenes that you'll laugh about later! Maybe years later, but hey.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: March 13, 2014, 04:59:59 pm »

Thanks for the support, guys. After getting home from school today, I feel a little bit better about my classes. I realized that a. people won't not talk to the exchange student because they don't talk to me, b. I only really have two classes where I don't have anyone I care to talk to, and c. my entire German class eats at the same lunch as me due to our school's weird scheduling. If he really doesn't like sitting alone, we could ask to go join some of them or he could deal with it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:04:15 pm by Squill »
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: March 13, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »

Well, this was technically yesterday, but anyway...

I'm just sitting around, playin' some Pokemon, when all of a sudden some small object like a thin book or cardboard box tips over from a shelf or table or something and falls. I practically jumped out of my socks for almost no reason at all.

I have not found what fell yet.

The only explanation is my house belonged to a funeral-less dwarf.
Get carving, bucko.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: March 13, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »

So I'm watching a movie

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I feel like I'm going to regret this

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: March 13, 2014, 07:54:52 pm »

If I remember right, that movie isn't scary at all, and is kinda stupid.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:50 pm »

How can it not be scary? It has a doll Dx

edit: has a horrible child actor though.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: March 13, 2014, 08:06:23 pm »

Speaking of creepy dolls, I re-watched Barbarella recently.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: March 14, 2014, 04:21:44 pm »

I work in a book warehouse. Lots of dust in the air, dry paper everywhere. Couple of people have had a full desktop speaker system, complete with subwoofer, blaring rap for the last three weeks. Girl behind me took it today so she could blare gospel music (incredibly bad gospel music at that). I turn around to tell her to turn it down, because I'm fed up with having to listen to shitty music at high volume all day, and notice that there is a full inch of exposed copper on the power cord. The black wire, which makes matters even worse.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: March 14, 2014, 05:06:09 pm »

Tell her the sound will be better if she wiggles the wire around, but she should go wash her hands first.

No more bad music, no more gospel-girl, two birds with one stone.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: March 15, 2014, 12:36:15 am »

I work in a book warehouse. Lots of dust in the air, dry paper everywhere. Couple of people have had a full desktop speaker system, complete with subwoofer, blaring rap for the last three weeks. Girl behind me took it today so she could blare gospel music (incredibly bad gospel music at that). I turn around to tell her to turn it down, because I'm fed up with having to listen to shitty music at high volume all day, and notice that there is a full inch of exposed copper on the power cord. The black wire, which makes matters even worse.
Hey, it could be worse.

She could be playing incredibly bad gospel rap. Sadly, that is a real thing  :'(
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: March 15, 2014, 01:52:16 am »

Waitaminute... you spoke up and complained about the gospel music, but not the rap?!
Or was the rap playing far enough away that you could barely hear it?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: March 15, 2014, 01:57:27 am »

There is plenty of rap worth listening to, there is exactly zero gospel music worth listening to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1420