Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964494 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6675 on: March 06, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »

Or the insides of your mouth. Have you ever visited Gotham, perhaps?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: March 06, 2014, 05:50:52 pm »

"I successfully used this shaver to remove all the hair from my dog, though now he's hiding in the closet. Smooth as a cue-ball. Of course, it's the hair under his skin that really bothers me."

-paraphrased from memory, SA Dog Classifieds
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:35 pm »

I'm beginning to think perhaps telling a very religious friend that God is no better than Hitler was a questionable decision.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: March 06, 2014, 08:58:11 pm »

That is indeed a very dickish thing to say to a friend.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: March 06, 2014, 09:04:03 pm »

I don't like to be dickish, but I get a little excited when Religion is brought into conversations, and well.
Blah blah blah excuses.
And it was more of an analogy, then it was flat out Hitler to God comparison...
Meh. Beliefs should never clash like this.
I'm going to die sad and alone.
;.;
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »

Nah. I would suggest saying this to the friend in question, by email perhaps. Apologies often help with this sort of thing, especially when you are able to articulate why you think it really was your fault (which it sounds like you do).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: March 07, 2014, 05:40:04 am »

-
Turnaround: Claim Hitler is God, become neo-nazi! Or just reconcile with your friend or something...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: March 08, 2014, 01:36:46 am »

I'm beginning to think perhaps telling a very religious friend that God is no better than Hitler was a questionable decision.

Seriously. If you believe everything in the bible, god killed way more people. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: March 08, 2014, 01:41:04 am »

Well... if you believe that god intentionally designed every aspect of the universe with perfect knowledge of how it would all play out in his grand design, then god is ultimately responsible for all death.  Can't beat that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: March 08, 2014, 06:43:12 am »

Therefore, god made Hitler.
This is a blank sig.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: March 08, 2014, 08:16:59 am »

Seriously. If you believe everything in the bible, god killed way more people. :P
So even though I'm an atheist, I was went to a catholic middle school, mostly because the public schools in the area were pretty bad.
Anyways, according to the religion teacher there, most of the Old Testament is supposed to be metaphorical. According to her, the only part of the bible that was actually supposed to have taken place was the New Testament. I have no idea if that's actually true about Catholicism or whether that's just her personal beliefs, but when I hear some of the more rational thinking I'm a bit less anti-religion.

On topic to both this discussion and this thread, earlier this year I had a bit of a revelation that we really don't know what anything is. We hear far fetched theories and scoff at them, but we really have no way of knowing if they're actually true. We know the structure of matter, from molecules to atoms to subatomic particles, which are made up of quarks, which are regulated by bosons, but we don't know what quarks or bosons are. We really have no idea how far the structure goes. We simply cannot disprove these strange theories, since we don't know how the universe was created. We know there was a big bang, but we don't know why.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: March 08, 2014, 08:37:10 am »

So even though I'm an atheist, I was went to a catholic middle school, mostly because the public schools in the area were pretty bad.
Anyways, according to the religion teacher there, most of the Old Testament is supposed to be metaphorical. According to her, the only part of the bible that was actually supposed to have taken place was the New Testament. I have no idea if that's actually true about Catholicism or whether that's just her personal beliefs, but when I hear some of the more rational thinking I'm a bit less anti-religion.
While it wouldn't assert that everyone believes it as a Catholical Dogma, it's rather widespread and accepted. The OT generally matches up with the Jewish beliefs of the time, and serves as background information/ metaphorical stuff.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: March 08, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »

Well... if you believe that god intentionally designed every aspect of the universe with perfect knowledge of how it would all play out in his grand design, then god is ultimately responsible for all death.  Can't beat that.

Not everyone's a Calvinist, you know...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: March 08, 2014, 12:50:05 pm »

Hey, if my brother on the same network as me got himself banned from these forums, would I get banned too?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1420