Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963781 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6495 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:40 pm »

There's a difference between defining a word and defining an idea: word definitions easily get down the point where you run out of language to describe them. The concept of meaning requires intelligent things to consider something and attribute meaning to it. Meaning, like justice and honor, do not exist except as theoretical constructs in the minds of intelligent things.

Claiming that the ability to think grants significance is like a tiger claiming that the ability to sprint or shred things with your claws is significant. Of course humans believe thinking is significant; because we do it best as far as we know. If tigers were in charge they'd consider tigers more significant than humans because humans can barely shred anything with our puny fingernails. Similarly, a donut could be significant because of its sugar content - but why does sugar matter?

It doesn't.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: February 13, 2014, 07:36:47 pm »

Meaning is only meaningless from a perspective that is unlike ours, removed from any sense of context, motivation, or sentient experience, which is a perspective that we can only ponder as a hypothetical invention, and only as an intentional opposite to our own frame of reference.

In other words, yeah, our meaning is nothing to the objective universe, but we also have no reason to care about the universe's objectivity.  A thing without meaning is hardly a thing at all.  The sun would exist without us, but without our observation, it is not large or hot or old or even separate from other objects.  These are all features that we define from within a frame of reference that does not exist without us.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 07:41:42 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: February 13, 2014, 07:37:24 pm »

@Hyper-Leo

I'm mostly in this for being silly, you realize. I'm far too distracted to make a genuine argument about what boils down to semantics.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: February 13, 2014, 07:40:18 pm »

Sorry I was hyper :/
The voices made me type fast.
They whisper.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6499 on: February 13, 2014, 07:42:39 pm »

I'm also tired, and unclear as a consequence. I meant hyper in terms of the many Leos in your SN. You are Leo compounded upon Leo.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: February 13, 2014, 10:46:34 pm »

I just realized that even though the metal (In the astronomical sense: IE anything heavier than helium) content of the sun is only 1.4% of its mass, it still outweighs every planet and moon in the solar system combined. Hell, it's 4662 times the mass of the earth. I feel small and insignificant now.
Welcome to knowing things about space.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: February 14, 2014, 07:27:11 am »

I just realized that even though the metal (In the astronomical sense: IE anything heavier than helium) content of the sun is only 1.4% of its mass, it still outweighs every planet and moon in the solar system combined. Hell, it's 4662 times the mass of the earth. I feel small and insignificant now.
Welcome to knowing things about space.
I'm not new to knowing things about space, but it's the first time I've really, really, really thought about the scales involved in stars. Sure, I've seen plenty of those star-scale things, but the sheer idea that there's more iron, carbon, and such in the sun than the rest of the solar system is kind of sobering.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18:25 am »

That's smog? I thought it were clouds...

Could be clouds too since they are so high up, but the general gray fog-like haziness that can be seen at several points in the video, most notably when they are scaling the crane, is probably general smog from whatever smog-belching alien horrors China gets their smog from.

It looks like somebody accidentally swapped a presentation on suggested environmental policy with a copy of Silent Hill.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:47 am »

We got a couple new cats.

My brother named one Swag...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: February 14, 2014, 09:27:26 am »

"Memento mori. Yolo, Swag." Damn, Altum Videtur kicks in hard.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »

... wouldn't it be yolnt if it were a cat? Yolint's not a bad sound for a cat name, anyway.

Neither's yolo, but one should keep to the silly cultural things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: February 15, 2014, 12:21:36 am »

Oh god roaches are hard to kill  :o

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: February 15, 2014, 12:32:05 am »

N... not really? Not for anything human sized, anyway. Just. Decent weighted flat surface. Disliked book, shoe, whatever. Apply with decent force.

Bigger problem than killing them is keeping the insides from spraying all over the place. Blegh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: February 15, 2014, 12:41:29 am »

N... not really? Not for anything human sized, anyway. Just. Decent weighted flat surface. Disliked book, shoe, whatever. Apply with decent force.

Bigger problem than killing them is keeping the insides from spraying all over the place. Blegh.

Well factor in I had to mainly use a show at 30 degree angles most of the time a couldn't get a good hit aaaand we have the reason :P

Plus I'm more terrified of them than anything so I wasn't able to put most of my force in. Regardless, I guess I didn't give enough info.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: February 15, 2014, 12:45:29 am »

See, if we're going to make judgements we need to know the full conditions of the battle. Terrain, numbers, morale, all that stuff. Roach killin' is serious business.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 1420