Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963597 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6480 on: February 12, 2014, 08:25:28 pm »

Speaking of fucking terrifying, these guys man, these fucking crazy ass guys, goddamned russian made balls of steel!
How does someone convince another person to do that?
Offering an average Chinese construction wage, maybe?
I like to think that I'm not too afraid of heights, but watching that video fullscreen made my stomach clench.
Also, I've always found the idea of vertically remote locations(such as when you're above the clouds like in that video, or when hearing about the exploration of especially deep caves) to be simultaneously scary and oddly alluring.
I don't mind caves, quite like them in fact, but being high up frightens me terribly. Because I know it would be so easy to slip and be dead. Even though I can balance just as well as if there was no drop at all (assuming wind isn't a factor).
I seem to have mild claustrophobia and not-so-mild acrophobia. By which I mean if there's a height nearby that's more than three times my height, I get an intense NOPE! coming from my brain.
So you have a fear of heights even if you aren't on them? That's a new one to me.
I'm terrified of having anything to do with skyscrapers. Can't even walk near them easily. Why can't everything be underground where it's safe?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: February 12, 2014, 08:33:15 pm »

Speaking of fucking terrifying, these guys man, these fucking crazy ass guys, goddamned russian made balls of steel!
How does someone convince another person to do that?
Offering an average Chinese construction wage, maybe?
I like to think that I'm not too afraid of heights, but watching that video fullscreen made my stomach clench.
Also, I've always found the idea of vertically remote locations(such as when you're above the clouds like in that video, or when hearing about the exploration of especially deep caves) to be simultaneously scary and oddly alluring.
I don't mind caves, quite like them in fact, but being high up frightens me terribly. Because I know it would be so easy to slip and be dead. Even though I can balance just as well as if there was no drop at all (assuming wind isn't a factor).
I seem to have mild claustrophobia and not-so-mild acrophobia. By which I mean if there's a height nearby that's more than three times my height, I get an intense NOPE! coming from my brain.
So you have a fear of heights even if you aren't on them? That's a new one to me.
I'm terrified of having anything to do with skyscrapers. Can't even walk near them easily. Why can't everything be underground where it's safe?
Everything about that video was NOPE. I'm not afraid of heights, but damn.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: February 12, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

There's something vaguely... something... about a quote pyramid developing from a conversation about fear of heights. "Let's talk about being scared of being up high by building something slowly going further vertical!" "Brilliant!"
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: February 12, 2014, 09:05:11 pm »

There's something vaguely... something... about a quote pyramid developing from a conversation about fear of heights. "Let's talk about being scared of being up high by building something slowly going further vertical!" "Brilliant!"
Ironic? Shortsighted?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: February 13, 2014, 04:50:01 pm »

I thought it was awesome.  I would start getting nervous a little while after leaving the main building structure, but would probably have been able to push myself through most of it, except for the very end.  Never been too afraid of heights ever since touring scenic mountain roads in Colorado on the back of a motorcycle, sometimes able to look straight down into sheer drops of hundreds of feet right beneath me when leaning into a turn.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: February 13, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »

Dat smog.

I couldn't help but wonder what it'd be like to fall from that height. Probably would be a bit intense. You'd get to see all the other tall buildings slowly rise up to meet you, and get to count each floor as you pass it, and watch as you reenter the cloudline, and--yeah, that would be intense.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: February 13, 2014, 06:38:49 pm »

That's smog? I thought it were clouds...

Could be clouds too since they are so high up, but the general gray fog-like haziness that can be seen at several points in the video, most notably when they are scaling the crane, is probably general smog from whatever smog-belching alien horrors China gets their smog from.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: February 13, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »

That's not a problem if the lines are maintained properly, as in, there's a clear space around the powerlines and any trees/branches that get dangerously close are cut down before causing damage. The real problem is said ice weighing down on the powerlines themselves, and in extreme cases taking down power poles themselves.
But power lines generally have to share space with trees on grassy strips next to the road, or at least holes in the concrete. You could trim trees short of the lines, or you could bury the power lines away from the tree roots (which is more expensive). I would prefer a nice large-tree-lines avenue with buried lines myself.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: February 13, 2014, 06:57:40 pm »

I just realized that even though the metal (In the astronomical sense: IE anything heavier than helium) content of the sun is only 1.4% of its mass, it still outweighs every planet and moon in the solar system combined. Hell, it's 4662 times the mass of the earth. I feel small and insignificant now.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: February 13, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »

Watch one of those "star size comparison" videos on Youtube.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: February 13, 2014, 07:10:05 pm »

And then realize that you are just as significant as any inanimate object in the universe, no matter how large, because it is your perception of scale and context that grants them meaning.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: February 13, 2014, 07:14:47 pm »

That's circular: "meaning" is meaningless.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: February 13, 2014, 07:22:36 pm »

That's circular: "meaning" is meaningless.
Define "meaningless" :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: February 13, 2014, 07:25:23 pm »

I get around that by realizing I'll either get powerful enough eventually to affect the stars themselves, or I'll be dead.

:P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 1420