Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964798 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6030 on: December 08, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

Exams. Also, I missed a test in one of my courses. One worth 20% of my mark.

Fuck.

I don't even know how.

damn, that sucks.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: December 08, 2013, 03:06:56 pm »

Looks like I'm going to have to retake two courses now.

*Sigh* One because of the missed test, the second because what the fuck I cannot understand the prof.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: December 08, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »

Looks like I'm going to have to retake two courses now.

*Sigh* One because of the missed test, the second because what the fuck I cannot understand the prof.

I feel you there. I walked out on a final exam in statistics the first time I took it. Our professor had NO idea how to do basic algebra, or even teach effectively, and apparently had taught my little brother algebra and eas fired for calling the whole class a "bunch of retards" because they didn't understand anything.

I handed back an empty exam, with maybe a few pencil marks on the first page, and walked out. Got a few funny looks, but when the online homework from the book only handles the equations; which are complex little buggers, especially when you haven't learned anything about them in class and class only handles definitions and other miscellaneous trivia and not the equations work or how the equations actually function.

Retook stats the next year, got an A. Pretty sure its the crappy professor, not a lack of effort on my part, especially since I spent the retake class half asleep, because I worked nights and had class right after I got out of work.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: December 08, 2013, 11:01:07 pm »

Math exam tomorrow.

Most of the questions are multiple choice. Only three aren't, and are worth 10 marks each.

There are 30 multiple choice questions worth three marks each.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: December 08, 2013, 11:15:17 pm »

Math exam tomorrow.

Most of the questions are multiple choice. Only three aren't, and are worth 10 marks each.

There are 30 multiple choice questions worth three marks each.

One of the non-multiple choice questions will be figuring out what percentage of the grade is constituted by each multiple choice questions without electronic aid. Or at least it would be if I were that professor. With the caveat that being off by more than 1% would result in automatic failure of the exam.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: December 08, 2013, 11:20:12 pm »

If I would create a math exam, I'd require the answers to be in paragraphs. Writing down numbers is easy, everyone can do that (let's not even talk about checking boxes). True understanding of the materials is shown by being able to describe the entire reasoning behind the answer in full sentences.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:27 pm »

If I would create a math exam, I'd require the answers to be in paragraphs. Writing down numbers is easy, everyone can do that (let's not even talk about checking boxes). True understanding of the materials is shown by being able to describe the entire reasoning behind the answer in full sentences.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but we haven't actually learned anything. We've been relying on magical bullshit calculators that spit out our answers for us.

All we do is input the values and tell the calculator what piece of data we need answered. We aren't actually doing equations.

Well, I am. I didn't want to spend $50 on a calculator, and have been looking up the equations online, since they aren't in my text. The text only tells you what buttons to push on the calculator.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: December 08, 2013, 11:27:55 pm »

Police: "Put the pyramid down and step away from the computer".

Well I had alcohol at a younger age, certainly didn't kill me off. Of course I didn't have much, and some are more prone to problems then others (But as a slav I'm pretty high on that list, so.), but it isn't exactly a death sentence. Sure it shouldn't be glorified, but meh
It's Saturday.
Linear extrapolation suggests Rebecca Black's singles discography will continue strong into the late third quarter 2027 release of "Thursday," at which point we'll never have to worry about shitty pop songs again.
This one is bad, but not quite bad enough to be funny.
My impression in a nutshell. "Eh, I could find a better use of my time" also featured highly.
It's people like you who are working to undermine me. I do well on tests because I don't explain my reasoning, because my reasoning is highly spurious and deeply flawed; I just happen to be good at working out the answer anyway. I shine on multiple choice for this reason.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: December 08, 2013, 11:31:07 pm »

I believe I've mentioned this before, but we haven't actually learned anything. We've been relying on magical bullshit calculators that spit out our answers for us.

All we do is input the values and tell the calculator what piece of data we need answered. We aren't actually doing equations.

Well, I am. I didn't want to spend $50 on a calculator, and have been looking up the equations online, since they aren't in my text. The text only tells you what buttons to push on the calculator.
Depends on the focus of the class. Is it for practical applications outside of pure mathematics? If so, then there's no real need to understand the equations; you just need to know what to do with them.

I always hated the "show your work" bullshit when I could do an entire problem in my head. That sort of exam would make me slam my pencil down and leave the room.

Unless it's a math class where I'm already writing everything down since the problems are difficult and complex enough that I have to. And then writing it out in english would just be added frustration.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: December 08, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »

Also, showing your work typically is done in complete sentences, it's just that you use a lot of specialized symbols because oh my god that would be a pain.

EDIT: They're complete sentences, just not in standard English. "d(x^2 + 12)/dx = 2x" is as complete a sentence as you could ask for, although I'll admit it'd be shaped a bit differently on paper, due to the limitations of easily typing things on this forum.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:40:42 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: December 08, 2013, 11:38:02 pm »

Unless you're the kind of person who has a burning need to understand everything, and would feel deeply annoyed to not be allowed to know the equations in-class.

Some of the most frustrating words I have heard or ever will hear in my life are "You don't need to know that."

Edit: To go further, knowledge for knowledge sake is like... numero uno. I would seek it out everywhere, even in a "practical" math class. Seeking understanding is not relegated to "pure" or "theoretical" sciences or mathematics.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: December 08, 2013, 11:39:50 pm »

The problem I have with this type of teaching is that if you were to take away everyone's calculator and replace it with a standard one, they wouldn't be able to do anything with it, since the calculator literally does everything for them, but everyone who uses a normal calculator gets shafted because we aren't told how to actually get the answers.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: December 08, 2013, 11:40:38 pm »

Hate to be snarky, but you can learn things outside of a classroom if learning is your only goal :P

The problem I have with this type of teaching is that if you were to take away everyone's calculator and replace it with a standard one, they wouldn't be able to do anything with it, since the calculator literally does everything for them, but everyone who uses a normal calculator gets shafted because we aren't told how to actually get the answers.
Take away a fisherman's fishing pole and they can't do much either.

Unless they're badass and fish with their hands.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: December 08, 2013, 11:42:39 pm »

Although, yes, requiring a $50 expenditure to avoid the training they're certifying you for while refusing to actually provide is kind of a dick move, on several levels.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: December 08, 2013, 11:45:21 pm »

It's more like giving people a button they have to press for each fish type that'll catch it. All they have to do is identify the right fish (the right math problem) and press its button.

It shafts the people who have fishing rods because they're not being taught proper technique.

Also, learning is not the -only- goal, butthead (I'd call you a jackass but I doubt you get Corner Gas down there in 'Merricastan, so the reference would be lost)

But having a goal frustrated for no good reason, having learning frustrated for no good reason, (esp. considering you won't always have access to that specific calculator and so won't be able to follow those steps exactly) is extremely annoying.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 1420