Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965598 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5895 on: November 25, 2013, 02:09:52 am »

Go play the original Assassin's Creed, I'm pretty sure they had something about nihilism amongst the stabbing people and fistfighting old ladies and losing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: November 25, 2013, 02:27:00 am »

everything I do is pointless and will be lost in the sands of time

this is horrifying and depressing

FIGHTING THE CYNICISM IS HARD

The sands of time are completely irrelevant to your life. What you do isn't pointless when it comes to things that matter.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: November 25, 2013, 02:33:07 am »

Go play the original Assassin's Creed, I'm pretty sure they had something about nihilism amongst the stabbing people and fistfighting old ladies and losing.
It had a surprising amount of things to say.
But yes, Altair gets lectured about misunderstanding the phrase, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted," because he was using it to justify being a dick.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:08 am »

Yes, everything is irrelevant in a grander scale.

But it isn't irrelevant to you, and you should be your primary concern. Not the grand scale of the universe, you. I mean, for example, you like eating right? Boom, that there is completely irrelevant to almost everything that will ever happen. But to you, that's awesome. And let's say a galaxy 16 billion light years from here (beyond where we could possibly see) sinks into a single super-massive black hole. To the universe, that is fucking huge. To you, utterly inconsequential. And you aren't the universe, you are you. And the universe isn't fond of the human race either. We could develop world peace, nuke ourselves into orbit, enter a golden age of science, and to the universe, that doesn't matter, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter to us. So be concerned with the you, and the universe will concern itself with itself, and everyone will live out their lives, except the universe, which is non-sentient, non-sapient, and not alive. Your morals and ethics shouldn't be based off the universe, they should be focused on the narrow realm of human affairs.

Also, that's pessimism. Cynicism is seeing things as they are, not as they ought to be. Pessimism is just natural opposition to Optimists, who are numerous in number and constantly multiplying, requiring swift and decisive action against them.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:42:58 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5899 on: November 25, 2013, 02:35:38 am »

I am faced with two choices: wait another year to apply for a 4 year college, which is basically the safe way, or go straight for a commhnity college and skip the rest of high school (1year) and attempt to get a good enough GPA to transfer to a 4 year college. O_o

The latter has so many complications, like having to basically independantly do everything including getting around with no prior practice, and having the chance of me not achieving my end goal D:

The former is 'safer' but potentially super expensive and needs me to trudge through another year of high school, fervantly hoping my grades at least stay the same in a highly & directly competitive grading system. @_@
Why not finish high school, then go to Community College?

But yes, Altair gets lectured about misunderstanding the phrase, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted," because he was using it to justify being a dick.
Yeah, he was being like one of those #YOLO dumbasses, although a much more badass version. Don't be that guy, no matter how badass you are.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5900 on: November 25, 2013, 02:42:37 am »

I get past my existential dread by basically saying "Screw the universe, I have science!"

Because in the end, I'll either be immortal, in which case woo I can affect the universe on a grand scale! And also play TF2 forever.

Or I'll be dead. So I won't care. Win/win! Or at least, Win/Not-Lose!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:22 am »

a galaxy 16 billion light years from here (beyond where we could possibly see)

the farthest galaxy is actually 32 billion light years from here :D

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: November 25, 2013, 02:48:33 am »

And increasing.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: November 25, 2013, 02:53:25 am »

Existential dread is a different problem, one I actively plan to overcome. As the philosophy of a hero of mine goes "I plan to live forever, or die trying; and my only mission when I wake up every day is to wake up tomorrow."

Ehh. Technically that light-emitter doesn't even exist anymore, which would invalidate it, and the maximum distance at the time of sending is well within the 16 billion light year mark. Also, It's current location is strictly theoretical and extrapolated, it could have been easily be swallowed up by a black hole by now.

But what I meant was that a galaxy currently 16 billion light years away gets eaten, which would mean it would take 16 billion years to get here, which is more years then have ever existed in the universe. Which makes that fact utterly irrelevant to an earth bound creature.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:55:22 am by misko27 »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5904 on: November 25, 2013, 03:10:16 am »

I am faced with two choices: wait another year to apply for a 4 year college, which is basically the safe way, or go straight for a commhnity college and skip the rest of high school (1year) and attempt to get a good enough GPA to transfer to a 4 year college. O_o

The latter has so many complications, like having to basically independantly do everything including getting around with no prior practice, and having the chance of me not achieving my end goal D:

The former is 'safer' but potentially super expensive and needs me to trudge through another year of high school, fervantly hoping my grades at least stay the same in a highly & directly competitive grading system. @_@

Yeah, he was being like one of those #YOLO dumbasses, although a much more badass version. Don't be that guy, no matter how badass you are.
Because might as well try to get into a 4 year anyways? >_<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5905 on: November 25, 2013, 03:13:12 am »

Because might as well try to get into a 4 year anyways? >_<
So #YOLO?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: November 25, 2013, 04:04:28 am »

In Doom 3, I was in an "outdoors" section looking over the lip of a canyon. A demon silently spawned behind me and attacked, nearly pushing me over. I almost wet myself. I haven't gotten that immersed in Doom 3 since I first played the Xbox demo on the DVD of the Doom movie.

IMO, the flashlight's alright. What really needed to be fixed about Doom 3 was the "story", because it's not a half-bad game once you get to the levels that have less audio logs and cutscenes. But that's a discussion for a different thread, maybe.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: November 25, 2013, 05:36:55 am »

And increasing.
That's the comoving distance. It's constant. The light-travel distance is 13.42 ly and it does increase.

Metrics... pure insanity sometimes. But still, SCIENCE!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: November 25, 2013, 06:46:32 am »

i will be speaking with my father in person today, a recent phone call reveals

i mean that's really good normally since he's pretty much the last person in meatspace i can trust but the fact he traveled all the way from the middle of nowhere he lives in means something horribad is going on and i hope i'm just being ridiculous

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: November 25, 2013, 09:50:35 am »

That's a good life lesson. Even if you're actually a badass, being a dick isn't justified. Be a cool guy and a badass.

In a more academic way, "Don't be a bad person just because you're good at your job and thus feel justified in acting like everyone's below you".
Pages: 1 ... 392 393 [394] 395 396 ... 1420