Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1849093 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5310 on: October 03, 2013, 01:36:07 am »

I still find it hard to believe airship technology hasn't progressed an iota in the last century. I mean, we can at the very least construct them entirely from non-flammable materials.

i added a word

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:16 am »

I still find it hard to believe airship technology hasn't progressed an iota in the last century. I mean, we can at the very least construct them entirely from flammable materials.

i added a word

i removed a word

we are now even

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

I still find it hard to believe airship technology hasn't progressed an iota in the last century. I mean, we can at the very least construct them from non-flammable materials.

Aluminum is flammable?
Aluminum attracts lightning.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:16 am »

Aluminum isn't areal world you 'murrican troglodytes. :V

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: October 03, 2013, 03:27:11 am »

Aluminium is very much flammable - that's why Thermite works. It's a great counter for 9/11 crazies, because almost nobody knows that the WTC was built using aluminium parts.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Wafflelordling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: October 03, 2013, 09:02:05 am »

My internet is back online after a storm..... and this is the only site that the internet will let me access.  :o google won't connect and neither will other services but bay12forums will not die.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: October 03, 2013, 09:03:28 am »

My internet is back online after a storm..... and this is the only site that the internet will let me access.  :o google won't connect and neither will other services but bay12forums will not die.
Good. The symbiosis device was a success!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: October 03, 2013, 09:57:11 am »

Basically, bay12 doesn't -need- the internet, because it's a shared hallucination.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: October 03, 2013, 12:43:29 pm »

Basically, bay12 doesn't -need- the internet, because it's a shared hallucination.
I am surprisingly okay with this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: October 03, 2013, 12:52:11 pm »

We're all staring at a 404 page in reality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: October 03, 2013, 01:03:58 pm »

About freight blimps:

First: Aluminium is flammable, and is actually used as a part of rocket fuel. It only ignites at very high temperatures though, so that doesn't matter. ((For that matter, most matter burns at sufficient temperature))
Second: A lightning strike is not capable of igniting an airship, as long as the hull is not flammable / breached. Hydrogen needs oxygen to burn. Pure hydrogen won't ignite
Third: The same for every other ignition source. I mean, smoking was allowed in the Hindenburg. (Though only in a pressurized room, to prevent ignition if a leak would occur)
Fourth: We do have significant improvements in materials. We can use Compression systems to prevent the need to vent hydrogen*, we can build mostly fireproof compartments, and the hull won't be flammable**
Fifth: We can design save airships from the beginning. The Hindenburg was the only airship that crashed due to ignition***, mainly because it was initially designed to fly using helium. It therefore had some unfortunate design choices, which allowed vented hydrogen to accumulate and ignite. The previous airship, The Graf Zeppelin, used a volatile, just as heavy as air fuel, but never had any trouble despite it's lengthy service lifetime. The worst dangers for airships were storms and navigation troubles. They're not that strong, and during  a storm the instruments were often inaccurate, leading to an unscheduled landing.

*If it never mixes, it doesn't ignite
**Note: The Hindenburg was flammable, but it was not coated in thermite, or whatever silly things you read on the internet.
***Not counting military airships that were actively or passively being shot at. Or airships that first crashed, then burned.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: October 03, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »

I've had that with a few sites. Hamachi too. Even without a connection they keep working.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: October 03, 2013, 01:23:15 pm »

I've had that with a few sites. Hamachi too. Even without a connection they keep working.
Means they're cashed. Should only be a static image of the website, won't update.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5323 on: October 03, 2013, 03:28:04 pm »

*If it never mixes, it doesn't ignite
**Note: The Hindenburg was flammable, but it was not coated in thermite, or whatever silly things you read on the internet.
***Not counting military airships that were actively or passively being shot at. Or airships that first crashed, then burned.
Also Mythbusters for sauce:
Using the same compounds used in the Hindenburg's paint, the MythBusters discovered that they could combine to form highly incendiary thermite. However, the actual proportions of components in the paint burned too slowly to match the film footage of the Hindenburg disaster. A scale model of the Hindenburg using the same paint and placed in a hydrogen-rich environment took about a minute to burn and did look very similar to the original events. In the end, they concluded that the Hindenburg's demise could be attributed to both the hydrogen and the paint, and they agreed that the paint by itself was not responsible for the rapid burning of the airship. They also pointed out that if actual thermite covered the Hindenburg, it would make the airship too heavy to fly.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:51 pm »

Yeah, I believe they used iron oxide in the paint for it's anti-mold properties, and aluminum somewhere else in the paint.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1420