Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1968414 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #3015 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:38 pm »

They have better beaches, we have lovely mountains.

Honestly, from an outsider's perspective I can hardly tell the difference culture-wise, and I've been living here five years.

edit: Banks. Banks be the difference.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 02:27:12 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: January 02, 2013, 03:00:57 pm »

They have better beaches, we have lovely mountains.

Honestly, from an outsider's perspective I can hardly tell the difference culture-wise, and I've been living here five years.

edit: Banks. Banks be the difference.
Outer, or the kind with money?

The thing I always notice is physical. If you're driving down I-85 or I-95, you can literally tell when you've crossed the line by looking at the countryside. The trees suddenly look stunted, the split-rail fencing is replaced with chicken wire, and everything just looks.....poorer.

And I'd say there's a considerable culture difference. SC was the first state to secede, we were one of the last. SC has always been a bulwark of the old conservative South, NC has long been a model of the progressive "New South".

Not that this is universal across either state, mind you...we had lynchings here and re-elected Jesse Helms for decades, and Charleston and Columbia have their pockets of free spirits and liberal thinkers. But in general, I tend to agree with former poet-laureate (and former professor of mine) Fred Chappell when he said that "North Carolina is just north enough that it's not too Southern, and just south enough that it's not too Northern".

Oh, and you can't tell me that Myrtle Beach is anything to envy. Not when we have like three times as much coastline and lovely quiet little coastal towns as opposed to one giant strip of mini-golf, Wings and cheap motels.

EDIT: I feel like I should qualify all of the above by saying that South Carolina has produced a number of awesome people and personal friends. It's just that most of them left the state and moved elsewhere....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 03:05:04 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #3017 on: January 02, 2013, 03:24:16 pm »

Outer, or the kind with money?
The kind with money. Outer Banks are nice though.

You're right about the physical differences though. The second you cross the border you're at least gonna notice the roads are way less well maintained. Plus I live in the piedmont so SC looks way different. NC is green and rolling while SC reminds me of back home on the plains. Flat and yellow. And yeah, Myrtle beach isn't enviable, it's a nice beach but a bad pretty much everything else, but there's more to SC beaches than just Myrtle. Hilton Head most notably.

I mean, there's a reason I live up here and not down there. Mostly it's the Appalachians, but NC is the more progressive of the two. I just feel like the differences are overblown. There are a lot of backwards people here too. But it probably didn't help that my first impression of the state was scenic Lincoln County, home of the lawn-couch.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »

Hey! The lawn-couch is an ancient and venerable tradition. As is the collection of concrete lawn ornaments.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:18 pm »

When I get tired, I start to see shadows moving, and I start hearing things that aren't there.
My fear of the dark is also multiplied by alot.
Let's just say this, it's dark in my house right now, and I'm really fricken' tired.
It's light in my room, but I have to use the bathroom.
I need to get down a flight of stairs, through my entryway, through the kitchen, and into the bathroom unharmed by things or my fear-induced insanity.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:02 pm »

When I get tired, I start to see shadows moving, and I start hearing things that aren't there.
Let's just say this, it's dark in my house right now, and I'm really fricken' tired.
I need to get down a flight of stairs, through my entryway, through the kitchen, and into the bathroom unharmed by things or my fear-induced insanity.
Facepunch those shadows...with your mind. And possibly your fists. Also, cast magic missile on facepunch the darkness.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:55 pm »

Join the club.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:27 pm »

I have never spent 24 concurrent hours in South Carolina. Only quickly over it or through it. I will not be corrupted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: January 03, 2013, 11:44:14 pm »

Well, as I believe the gret FS said, fap at the dark and make it file a restraining order.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: January 04, 2013, 12:23:08 am »

I must have some impressive mental fortitude.  Everyone I know who has delved into extreme sleep deprivation has suffered hallucinations.  I once got 3 hours of sleep over the course of a week and still didn't hallucinate.

Unless my hallucinations are actually extremely clever and profound, and I'm destined for some kind of revelation later in life where I realize sleep deprivation has warped my whole reality into a lie.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 12:26:06 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: January 04, 2013, 12:31:26 am »

I once had sleep-deprivation-hallucinations after playing lazer-tag all night long.
I thought I was an Elite from Halo, fighting Spartans.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: January 04, 2013, 12:33:02 am »

My eyes skip frames when I'm sleep deprived, I shit you not.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: January 04, 2013, 12:37:00 am »

I once had sleep-deprivation-hallucinations after playing lazer-tag all night long.
I thought I was an Elite from Halo, fighting Spartans.

All Navy basic is one big sleep deprived hallucination. I remember seeing sea creatures like giant squids and the like while on watch, looking out of the window to the berthing.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 04, 2013, 12:41:17 am »

I never get hallucinations. And I've been sleeped deprived for days.

Damn, they sound cool.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: January 04, 2013, 12:42:55 am »

I once had a hallucination that my little brother was patrolling in front of a small TV on one of those carts that the projectors are set on at school in my bedroom. Holy fuck prepositions.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 1420