Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979347 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #21015 on: May 28, 2022, 07:32:51 pm »

[lock shooting]

Yeah, even with padlocks it's exceptionally difficult to blast one with a high enough caliber weapon in such a way that 1) The shrapnel doesn't ricochet back and maim you, and 2) It actually functionally allows the lock to be "unlocked". With integrated systems such as standard knob locks and door bolts, it becomes even more difficult.

When breach teams "shoot open" a door, they do so by blasting everything that isn't the lock with a heavy-duty shotgun to the point where the rest of the door can be kicked away from the (intact) lock. Because shooting the lock itself is more or less pointless for opening a door.

Most people are unaware of this. Most people think you can actually get somewhere by shooting a door lock. Most people will end up deeply injuring themselves and completely failing to open the door if they attempt this maneuver.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21016 on: May 29, 2022, 07:49:37 am »

Vector working from home is not an optuon for you?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21017 on: May 29, 2022, 01:43:08 pm »

I'm working from home as much as possible, but we're at a university and they don't have hybrid options for classes (like recorded lectures or taking final exams over the internet).

I agree, it would be better to not have to go to school in person ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21018 on: May 29, 2022, 03:04:12 pm »

Just, please be safe.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: May 29, 2022, 10:00:25 pm »

Thanks. I'm doing the best I can.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21020 on: June 03, 2022, 10:39:11 pm »

I am clearly developing something like another dose of ptsd from this and I don't know how to make it fucking stop. I just don't care about anything right now. I'm becoming irritable, mean, and angry.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21021 on: June 03, 2022, 10:44:04 pm »

That's not good. I hope things get better for you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21022 on: June 03, 2022, 10:47:11 pm »

Me too.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21023 on: June 03, 2022, 10:53:53 pm »

I don't have anything cogent to add, just my sympathy.  It's been great to see you around again, despite the circumstances.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21024 on: June 03, 2022, 11:01:43 pm »

Time is a river. The bad times will pass us by.
We are immobile, like a rock in a stream.
The events of our lives flow over us like water.
Everything is going to be OK.

At the end of my Graduate-level schooling, I never wanted to take another class. For me, school was pointless. It's constantly doing work with no purpose that never helps another human being.
The work I do now is stressful and frustrating, but occasionally I know that I'm helping people. Plus the constant exposure to people in much worse living conditions helps me appreciate my meager lifestyle.
But that is just me. Some people really love Academia.

Take care of yourself today so you can help others tomorrow.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21025 on: June 03, 2022, 11:09:58 pm »

I don't have anything cogent to add, just my sympathy.  It's been great to see you around again, despite the circumstances.
Yeah, echo that. Hopefully you'll get some kind of chance to degauss (... like old monitors, not data) at some point in the near future, vec.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #21026 on: June 04, 2022, 12:34:58 am »

That's gonna be a yikes from me mate. EJ and Vector both.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 03:42:52 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21027 on: June 04, 2022, 03:37:43 am »

Oh Lord. Your employers really don't give a fuck

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21028 on: June 04, 2022, 04:13:52 pm »

Oh Lord. Your employers really don't give a fuck
For me, this is absolutely correct.
I'm self-employed.

Back during the height of the Pandemic, when we didn't know the level of infection (or lack thereof) of COVID, when people were dying from it, before the Government provided face protection due to a shortage of N95 face masks, I still had to go to work.

My work involves interacting with people. Some who claimed to have COVID.

At that time, I developed this little mantra. Hopefully it will provide some modest comfort.
"Nobody knows how brave you are"

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21029 on: June 04, 2022, 05:03:28 pm »

I am clearly developing something like another dose of ptsd from this and I don't know how to make it fucking stop. I just don't care about anything right now. I'm becoming irritable, mean, and angry.

Were you able to secure a private room to write your exams in?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 1420