Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1398 1399 [1400] 1401 1402 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1979291 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20985 on: January 10, 2022, 04:45:59 am »

Thanks.

Grmbl. My blood sugar and cholesterol are also too high.
This whole lockdown nothingness is not good for general health.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20986 on: January 10, 2022, 06:10:13 am »

Hope things turn out well, martinuzz. Health issues are a pain and can be frightening.

I just got back from hospital on Friday after being there for 20 days. Spent Christmas and New Year there.

Had a close call after I noticed one evening that my neck was swollen and thought it's probably some infection. Thought I'd go next morning to see the doctor, but in the morning I had trouble breathing, got a panic attack, one housemate called the ambulance and I was swiftly transported to the hospital. Turns out that my bad teeth (long story, but let's just say I have a really bad dentist phobia) had caused a major infection and it was just a matter of an hour that I would've lost the ability to breathe due to the swelling and died.

Got surgery and unfortunately lost all my teeth in the process, but hey, at least I'm still alive. A nice bonus was that I had also managed to get covid from somewhere - probably one of my housemates (I had no symptoms and hadn't left home for a long time due to being quite crippled by a severe case of ankylosing spondylitis, so that was a bit of a surprise).

I'm lucky to be alive and this was sort of a wake up call for me to get my shit together. Fortunately we've got good social welfare here, so the state will take care of the bills. There's still a long way to go from here, but I'm getting help from social workers and such, so I'm not on my own. Maybe things will get finally better health-wise.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20987 on: January 10, 2022, 06:16:14 am »

Geesh. I wish you a speedy recovery.
And yes. Dental health is so very important. Not just for your teeth, but for your entire body.

Sorry you lost your teeth. The upside is, false teeth are very good quality nowadays. You'll have a brand new shiny white smile, and if I can believe a friend of mine who has it, you won't even notice it's there within a few days.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20988 on: January 10, 2022, 06:35:27 am »

Thanks.

It'll take several months for the mouth/gums to heal, but after that I'll ask about getting false teeth and such. So far I really don't even notice not having teeth anymore (except for a slightly slurry speech), but cooking requires a bit more effort as I have to put everything through the blender.

Probably some of the teeth could've been saved, but it was an emergency, so the surgeon probably didn't have much time to check what teeth can be fixed and what not.

So, the lesson we learn here is: take care of your teeth and go to the dentist before things go bad, even if you're absolutely terrified about it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20989 on: January 10, 2022, 07:27:28 am »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:54:19 am by dragdeler »
let

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20990 on: January 11, 2022, 04:22:20 am »

Glad to hear your okay.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20991 on: January 11, 2022, 07:10:44 am »

Thanks!

It's really hard to describe the feeling when you realize that this could be it and these might be my final moments. Sort of a mixture of absolute terror, complete clarity and yet at the same time everything seems surreal/dreamlike. I'm happy I made it and owe my life to my housemate (and the medics and doctors) who called the ambulance. The positive thing is that I got a huge motivational boost to fix my stuff and also to deal with my severe arthritis. Feeling more alive currently than in years. We'll see what complications still lie ahead, but so far looking good.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20992 on: January 11, 2022, 07:25:13 am »

How bad were your (late, ex-, erstwhile) teeth, exactly? Asking for a friend.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20993 on: January 11, 2022, 07:37:02 am »

Really, really bad. Hadn't taken much care of them for about 8 years or so. I'm pretty sure there was not a single one that hadn't been chipped or broken, and maybe half of them were in even worse conditions. One could say it was my own fault, but it's not the whole story as there's multiple other health/social issues which made it difficult for me to get help (would be a long, long story that one).

But regardless, even one bad tooth can result in a serious infection. One of my friends told that he'd faced a similar thing: got suddenly swelling on the neck - not as drastic as mine - and went to see the dentist the next day, since he didn't have any pain or other complications. He lost just the infected tooth, but if he'd waited for much longer (a day or two), he probably would've faced life-threatening sepsis.

So, if you feel/notice any kind of swelling in the neck/throat or areas around the teeth, go ASAP to the doctor. It could be serious shit at that point.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20994 on: January 11, 2022, 08:53:42 pm »

It's been quiet lately...feels ominous.

Is everyone just burned out?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20995 on: January 11, 2022, 11:58:42 pm »

Eh, probably, it's January. Nothing happens in January except the slow lengthening of daylight as the twinkle of christmas lights fades. I'm trying not to think about the slight inflammation in my sinuses or that I'm already ready for another day off work, or that I'll be 28 in about two weeks.

Hopefully I can go hug a friend or something this weekend when my nose clears up.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20996 on: January 12, 2022, 07:50:21 pm »

fuckin'

health insurance

fuckin' tripling my friend's deductible out of the blue

fuckin' gonna cost her a paycheck and a half to pay for essential medicine

fuckin' putting the squeeze on people already barely making it

fuckin' "covid is raising costs" so they're going to take it out on people that can barely afford coverage anyways

goddamnit

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20997 on: January 12, 2022, 10:11:25 pm »

Move to another country and not deal with >this kind< of bullshitium ever again.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20998 on: February 02, 2022, 05:45:13 am »

Little update.
A man goes to the doctor, with a sore elbow.

Man comes home with diabetes mediation, cholesterol medication. Man is waiting for results from adrenal gland investigation. Arm is still sore and getting worse, have to wait another month before the neurologist can take another look.

I used to do yearly checkups for blood sugar and cholesterol, since it is in the family. Values were always good. Then comes corona, couldn't test for over 2 years. And BAM! Diabetes 2 and dangerously high cholesterol. Lockdowns probably didn't help there, I lost all my bodily excercise because everything I used to go to was closed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 05:47:29 am by martinuzz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20999 on: February 04, 2022, 09:35:28 am »

Ah shit, I can sympathise. One of my friends took two months to just get a doctor to look at his appendicitis
Pages: 1 ... 1398 1399 [1400] 1401 1402 ... 1420