Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978872 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20790 on: March 29, 2021, 07:05:49 am »

I am surprised that France did not deploy the Foreigner's Legion yet to rescue it's nationals. Or maybe they did and it's classified.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20791 on: March 29, 2021, 07:22:22 am »

I am surprised that France did not deploy the Foreigner's Legion yet to rescue it's nationals. Or maybe they did and it's classified.
With a one day warning there's only so much they could do from such a geographical distance from any French bases. Even if they set off from Djibouti today that's a 2,100 nautical mile distance which at the speed of a French amphibious assault ship of 19 knots is going to be a 4 day journey. Anything they'd have on hand to assist French citizens would have to be airlifted in, or from forces already in Mozambique

*EDIT
Oh yeah and reports say the militants pulled out after gaining control of the town for a day. So any security forces will be there just to make sure there isn't a repeat; the security forces will also probably be Mozambique government forces rather than international ones
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:36:51 am by Loud Whispers »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20792 on: March 29, 2021, 07:44:08 am »

Mozambique and a South African security/mercenary company, I think. It's all a right mess, really, as to be honest not even the insurgents actually know what's going on let alone the government.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20793 on: March 29, 2021, 08:09:30 am »

They had several weeks notice, not one day. This explosion of jihadist violence was predictable. I would not in the least be surprised if France had them on standby somewhere near.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20794 on: March 29, 2021, 10:26:49 am »

They had several weeks notice, not one day. This explosion of jihadist violence was predictable. I would not in the least be surprised if France had them on standby somewhere near.
Looked into it; from 2020.
Equally important, the French company Total recently bought control of area 1 of the Cabo Delgado gas field. Total brought in former French foreign legion officer Frederic Marbot to manage security for its gas project on the Afungi peninsula in Palma (Africa Intelligence, 1 June; Cabo Ligado 9 June). Marbot, who reportedly also ran security at Total facilities in Nigeria and Kazakhstan, will be joined in Cabo Delgado by his former foreign legion colleague Charles Stroeng. It appears that he is setting up a security unit partly composed of Mozambican troops already deployed to protect the Afungi camp.

Total already has contracts with five private security companies. Three are British: Blue Mountain, Control Risks and G4S, The other two are Arkhe (owned by Omega, South Africa/Mauritius) and GardaWorld (Canada), Arkhe, one of the biggest suppliers of security guards in Mozambique, including to embassies, was cited in the legal actions against Gemfields for atrocities at its Cabo Delgado ruby mine.
So it seems the FFL was already there in an invisible capacity, through the ethereal hand of the free market

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20795 on: March 29, 2021, 11:49:57 am »

Hah, interesting, but not surprising.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #20796 on: April 06, 2021, 08:58:48 pm »

I was doing a Google search for some programming thing ("goto considered harmful" was the search term), and the fucking search results started angling downwards away to reveal something. I saw a glimpse of it, and it was something about solving interesting problems for Google. Before that, the movement just triggered something primal in me. I was going "oh shit!" when it started moving.

Fucking hell, respect that "prefers-reduced-motion" flag! I've enabled it system-wide. Reduce that fucking motion, or I ain't touching your shit, no matter how interesting it is. At least follow convention! Slide down, do not use unexpected forms of motion with that flag enabled!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20797 on: April 10, 2021, 08:28:11 pm »

Tarkov.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20798 on: April 10, 2021, 08:29:13 pm »

Yup, Tarkov.

I hope never to experience getting shot in the back of the head, but if I had to put something close to it, well Tarkov did that for me pretty well.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20799 on: April 20, 2021, 10:52:32 am »

I'm supposed to drive a few hours to see my mom, and also my brother who lives an hour away from her.  I thought they lived closer to each other.

And then I got a call from my dad's SO because I also promised to visit them today (Last week - I forgot).  And I just locked up like I used to back in college, just... couldn't speak.  She offered to call me back and I just gratefully accepted.

And like - I feel pretty good, right now.  But that's because I got drunk and social again last night.  I'd just been feeling so afraid and lonely, and particularly anxious about today's trip, so I had a modest amount of rum and rambled on with cool people online about cool stuff.  And that was *fun*, and I remember it... mostly.  Why can't I just do that sober?

Why can't I do *anything* right now?  It's not like I have a headache, but I feel so *drained*, emotionally and physically.  Like I just got home from a week-long visit.  Like the idea of seeing anyone hits this big plastic barrier.

I continued a chat with my brother from last night, until he mentioned cooking for me.  Then I stopped.  And mom called but I didn't answer.
And dad's SO wants to come pick me up, and is calling back soon.

I do like that she calmed me down a lot by discussing a gross blister on my dad's foot.  Not being sarcastic, that actually helped me return to the conversation.  I can chat about stuff!  I like stuff!  I get bored and lonely and enjoy talking to people!

But I have to tell them that I *really* can't see them in person right now.  It's going to go really poorly if I force it, and I obviously shouldn't be driving like this.

Ugh, I need professional help.  I'd been putting it off, but my excuse for that is running out.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20800 on: April 20, 2021, 04:49:13 pm »

Therapy will be good for you.

And moderate drinking is, under the present circumstances, something you should probably consider to be OK to do once in a while. Personally, I don't drink very often, but that's because I get that drained, bleh, can't do anything feeling the next day. Give it 24 hours and then see if you still feel drained and bleh. Your tolerance might be decreasing, which would be a good thing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20801 on: April 20, 2021, 06:18:08 pm »

It's okay to have boundaries! Telling family 'no' is really tough, though, I sympathise there, even if I don't grasp the gravity of your struggle. I didn't enjoy being the only one to decline attendance at thanksgiving and christmas.

It does sound like a good time to schedule out some therapy, yeh. You owe it to yourself to keep your head on straight, right?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 09:45:08 am by None »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20802 on: April 20, 2021, 06:26:33 pm »

That's why I eat my toe clippings. Nobody will sustain themselves off me except me
Thanks.  I was waiting for someone to post something truly horrific.  That will do it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20803 on: April 20, 2021, 06:29:58 pm »

I'm supposed to drive a few hours to see my mom, and also my brother who lives an hour away from her.  I thought they lived closer to each other.

And then I got a call from my dad's SO because I also promised to visit them today (Last week - I forgot).  And I just locked up like I used to back in college, just... couldn't speak.  She offered to call me back and I just gratefully accepted.

And like - I feel pretty good, right now.  But that's because I got drunk and social again last night.  I'd just been feeling so afraid and lonely, and particularly anxious about today's trip, so I had a modest amount of rum and rambled on with cool people online about cool stuff.  And that was *fun*, and I remember it... mostly.  Why can't I just do that sober?

Why can't I do *anything* right now?  It's not like I have a headache, but I feel so *drained*, emotionally and physically.  Like I just got home from a week-long visit.  Like the idea of seeing anyone hits this big plastic barrier.

I continued a chat with my brother from last night, until he mentioned cooking for me.  Then I stopped.  And mom called but I didn't answer.
And dad's SO wants to come pick me up, and is calling back soon.

I do like that she calmed me down a lot by discussing a gross blister on my dad's foot.  Not being sarcastic, that actually helped me return to the conversation.  I can chat about stuff!  I like stuff!  I get bored and lonely and enjoy talking to people!

But I have to tell them that I *really* can't see them in person right now.  It's going to go really poorly if I force it, and I obviously shouldn't be driving like this.

Ugh, I need professional help.  I'd been putting it off, but my excuse for that is running out.

Haven't reviewed your entire history, but getting pulled in three different directions by family is enough to frustrate anyone.  Locking up in that situation is perfectly normal response.  Just remember they all love you, and you've presumably had fun times with all of them.  I'd suggest getting a better way of scheduling (like a phone schedule or a paper one), so that you can avoid the family pileup.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20804 on: May 09, 2021, 02:02:36 am »

I decided to watch Salo: (120 Days Of Sodom) without knowing what it was about and i didn't even make it that far into the movie before my squeamish ass had to stop because it was so fucked up and disturbing

I would describe it but i really don't want to so here's the Wikipedia article

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo,_or_the_120_Days_of_Sodom
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:04:37 am by ArchimedesWojak »
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.
Pages: 1 ... 1385 1386 [1387] 1388 1389 ... 1420