Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1978008 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20400 on: June 30, 2020, 12:49:26 pm »

Yeah, this is a huge deal, and there will surely be political fallout.

Hongkong.
Today saw the end of the self-governancy of Hongkong.
China broke the deal with the UK by passing the new security law.
Technically, Uk should now invade and recolonize Hongkong
The UK couldn't hold onto HK militarily, how would it be able to invade it? The SCS bases were also not an issue before, so the situation is even less feasible than when there was actually a British garrison present. Such a scenario would in all likelihood need Murrican marines and carrier fleets for sure, and even then the chance of holding onto HK is not great without causing WWIII
Martinuzz did say "technically".  Of course the powers-that-be will back down to avoid war.  That's why China did it.  Simple realpolitik, yeah.

Just shows the value of purely diplomatic promises.  It's frightening how useful the threat of force can be, even if there's no reasonable scenario in which it has to be deployed.  Nuclear weapons and military bases which never saw "use" shaped global politics for decades.  Pretty terrifying.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20401 on: June 30, 2020, 02:45:37 pm »

Well, is not HK like one of the most important ports in the world?

Mostly it's a very important financial center for both the western and eastern worlds.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20402 on: June 30, 2020, 03:01:39 pm »

...be safe, Autohummer. :-\
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20403 on: June 30, 2020, 04:42:14 pm »

Just read a news reporter of how thousands of people are fleeing their new chinese overlords. Hahaha beyond the I hope overly dramatic tone it seems the emigration spiked because the new chinese law to stop protesters.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20405 on: July 01, 2020, 08:54:35 am »

Autohummer, please apply to UK. Is not a heavenly paradise and it has it's fair share of idiots like, well, everywhere but it seems to be far safer for now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20406 on: July 01, 2020, 08:55:38 am »

Encourage everyone else you know to go too. Hong Kong's death sentence has been signed; get out.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20407 on: July 03, 2020, 02:07:39 pm »

Do whatever you can to keep safe my dude, I can't say anything new here besides more encouragement

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20408 on: July 03, 2020, 02:18:15 pm »

Legal experts are pointing at Article 38 of this national security law, which states “This Law shall apply to offences under this Law committed against the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from outside the Region by a person who is not a permanent resident of the Region.

Do you know what that means? It means it's trying to claim jurisdiction over literally everyone else.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20409 on: July 03, 2020, 03:56:51 pm »

Pretty sure that's meant to target emigrants/dissidents-in-exile.

But yeah, the devil is in the legalese
Love, scriver~

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20410 on: July 06, 2020, 02:53:30 am »

Recent developments in Austria are certainly concerning. I’m afraid I’ll be striking it off my holiday list. Not that I’d be much of a target for the Reich, but they could technically sting me with that one. I know people with family there too, so definitely concerning.

If Hitler is happy to limit himself to Austria we should be able to avoid a war. What truly terrifies me is that it really is all too easy to imagine him miscalculating the Allies commitment to Poland.

Edit: Obfuscated to keep the bots away. I can’t imagine the SS would have any reason to visit us here in person.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:30:33 am by thompson »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20411 on: July 06, 2020, 05:09:18 am »

It's certainly.... obfuscated.

Edit: Do you mean the aUStria?
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20412 on: July 06, 2020, 05:10:25 am »

I'm so fucking lost. Is this about the Lakota/Rushmore issue?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20413 on: July 06, 2020, 05:14:30 am »

No he is talking about Tsjee-Nah and Gangbang
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20414 on: July 06, 2020, 05:18:55 am »

very confused
Pages: 1 ... 1359 1360 [1361] 1362 1363 ... 1420