Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977974 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20145 on: February 03, 2020, 08:59:25 pm »

If I ever go back to EMT school I'm going to start referring to things as "The Munchy Parts" and see how long they let me stay.

Not long if you don't put some pants on.

I think my response to "Why aren't you wearing pants" would be "Why are you looking under my desk".
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: February 03, 2020, 11:54:43 pm »

Medical peeps have funky humor, I'm pretty sure you'd be fine. I remember reading a story from someone who'd started referring to blood types as "flavors".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: February 04, 2020, 01:33:20 am »

Two words: impromptu ventriloquism
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: February 04, 2020, 03:47:15 pm »

Ok now that we're talking about medical things, this is the terrified thread, and I want to terrify you as once I was terrified myself. I may have told this one elsewhere.

I did go to EMT school, and a big part of that is learning about various physical injuries. We actually were trained to do very little to assist in non-physical injury outside of recognizing it accurately and rushing them to more qualified medical professionals. We did, however, make the terrible mistake of asking our 40-years-a-Paramedic instructor what the worst injury he ever saw was. This was a man who had cleaned up after F5 tornadoes. He grinned sort of like [this] and told the following story. I'm spoilering this one. It contains no tragic death or babies or any of that specific kind of psychologically horrific shit. It is a nonlethal injury.

Spoiler: Part Two (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 03:49:20 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: February 04, 2020, 04:01:38 pm »

Ok now that we're talking about medical things, this is the terrified thread, and I want to terrify you as once I was terrified myself. I may have told this one elsewhere.

I did go to EMT school, and a big part of that is learning about various physical injuries. We actually were trained to do very little to assist in non-physical injury outside of recognizing it accurately and rushing them to more qualified medical professionals. We did, however, make the terrible mistake of asking our 40-years-a-Paramedic instructor what the worst injury he ever saw was. This was a man who had cleaned up after F5 tornadoes. He grinned sort of like [this] and told the following story. I'm spoilering this one. It contains no tragic death or babies or any of that specific kind of psychologically horrific shit. It is a nonlethal injury.

Spoiler: Part Two (click to show/hide)

Being vague on purpose, but isn't the diameter on the non-industrial ones so narrow to avoid that happening to people? Why would you try it with an overpowered one?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: February 04, 2020, 04:04:10 pm »

Being vague on purpose, but isn't the diameter on the non-industrial ones so narrow to avoid that happening to people? Why would you try it with an overpowered one?
S U C C

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20152 on: February 05, 2020, 04:25:59 am »

I am not sure if the regular ones are built in such a way as to prevent that specific event. Presumably the designer of an industrial one assumes the operator is not a huge dingus or otherwise trained in its use.

I dont think a regular one is strong enough to cause bodily harm. You can safely put your hand over it after all. Then again I haven't tried as determinedly as this fellow did.

Also I can't fucking sleep tonight so I came here to check reactions and I am not disappointed.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: February 05, 2020, 04:39:28 am »

Difference is, a hand is a flat(ish) surface, while something else that can be inserted into the tube will (when air flow is blocked) be subjected to forces on all sides, resulting in far greater strain on the structure and composition.

While this isn't necessarily immediately catastrophic, there's research to suggest that the constant negative pressure can damage internal fluid mechanisms, resulting in hindered or outright blocked activation of the hydraulic systems. This can permanently reduce the unit's ability to further insert.

Also think about all the spiders in that thing, man.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is; please don't fuck Roomba-chan.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: February 05, 2020, 06:30:12 am »

Human stupidity astounds me
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 07:52:20 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20155 on: February 05, 2020, 07:49:38 am »

I remember seeing degloving in safety briefings as to why you should never wear jewelry or watches whilst on a ship. Too many high velocity things to get snagged on and degloved

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: February 05, 2020, 08:14:15 am »

Also because the other sailors don't want to think about you having a wife when you're doing the ol' Roomba-doomba
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20157 on: February 05, 2020, 08:37:12 am »

Also because the other sailors don't want to think about you having a wife when you're doing the ol' Roomba-doomba
The ol' intruder-protruder complex maneuver, the senior German method of coal extraction by hydraulic action, the primeval penile upheaval, the bygone era of in my rear-a, the international standard of maritime butt bandits, the seven seas seamen on the poop deck

Tingle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: February 05, 2020, 08:38:08 am »

Human stupidity astounds me

I hope you look to yourself as patient zero of this astonishment.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: February 05, 2020, 02:45:39 pm »

We're not stupid so much as we each live in our own detailed internal model of the universe which due to fundamentally limited resources cannot hope to even vaguely match the unlimited detail of the actual universe, and people have varying priorities as to where the detailed is placed.

That is, we can't perceive anything at all outside of a shockingly tight tunnel vision which we don't often realize is there. When you look at someone else they almost certainly are missing something that's obvious to you. If any of us were observed by a god with complete perception of the universe, we would all look like complete dunkasses.

That is that is, hot dog skinning is pretty much a necessary tradeoff for having a tiny brain made of meat.
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 1420