Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977954 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19005 on: July 24, 2018, 06:06:52 pm »

It does make one wonder what would happen if the God of Abraham was altered only in that he gave promises of oblivion instead of everlasting life. How many folks would "love" their "Father" and worship at His feet? And how many would turn away from the One True Religion in favour of a more optimistic, Christian message of eschatological gain.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19006 on: July 24, 2018, 06:43:38 pm »

Oblivion can't be too bad. Remember when you weren't around/there/were asleep without dreaming? Like that. Not so bad.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19007 on: July 24, 2018, 07:41:51 pm »

Buddhism never said everything will end, it's that everything will change.

Transcendence doesn't annihilate you, just your sense of self.

Don't ask me whether that's a good thing.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19008 on: July 24, 2018, 07:47:06 pm »

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19009 on: July 24, 2018, 08:31:45 pm »

@Rolan

Ye man, I also find the idea of inevitable judgement to be terrifying in a sense. Or rather, not terrifying. I think it's like all other inevitable things. Death is coming for me eventually, but it's a fact of life. I don't find this scary, but it is.... big. It's a big concept. I feel like as children we get this concept that when we reach adulthood we are somehow inscrutable. Noone can judge us, we are all equals, and where I am concerned I'm a little more equal than others. That's not really the case by any means, and it can be jarring to reach this conclusion.

I do however find a measure of objectivity in judgment of morality by mass consensus, as there is a sense of order involved removed from one's personal feelings. Of course it relies on other people's ability to remain objective, and packs of people are easily swayed by emotional appeal. I suppose I just get fussy anytime I see that smug, pompous argument of "Right and wrong is subjective and fluid, you have no right to me tell I'm wrong about what I believe. Also, you are wrong and I am right.".

To touch on the suffering vs happiness thing, I have found in my life that any sense of happiness is meaningless without some degree of suffering. It's cliche and somewhat trite, but you have to have one to define the other. To me, suffering is an absence of happiness to varying degrees.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19010 on: July 24, 2018, 08:40:04 pm »

Judgement by an alien force is certainly terrifying.  Practically by definition, one can't know the standards by which one will be judged.

But technically, I was speaking of judgement by our peers, which is almost as frightening for other reasons.  And also, something we have to deal with in the day-to-day.

Whenever I dream of dying, I don't go on to dream of a judgement that finds me "good" or "evil".  I dream of ceasing.  When I dream of unending torment, it's a frustrating maze of my own feverish mind.  And when I dream of sick torture, the victim is usually someone else.  And that terrifies me.

Edit:  Sometimes the victim is me, but that's... honestly less horrifying than the unending fever-maze.  Flay my flesh a little and let me wake up.  Just don't make me wander for a month, or talk to [capricorn].  Just stab me, please.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:47:27 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19011 on: July 24, 2018, 08:40:43 pm »

"Right and wrong is subjective and fluid, you have no right to me tell I'm wrong about what I believe. Also, you are wrong and I am right."
I don't think anybody actually thinks that, though. In my case, at least, it's more like "Right and wrong are subjective and fluid; you have every right to tell me I'm wrong about what I believe, but this cannot actually be correct because there's no correct answer in this situation, and also I don't have to care."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19012 on: July 25, 2018, 01:09:13 am »

Even if human brains are wired in such a way that makes, say, murder or rape or whatever look bad, morality is still subjective. What if alien brains are wired in a different way? Hell, dolphins, who show some traces of sentience, are casual rapists.

I'm still a xenophile.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 01:11:22 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19013 on: July 25, 2018, 01:51:34 am »

Buddhism never said everything will end, it's that everything will change.

Transcendence doesn't annihilate you, just your sense of self.

Don't ask me whether that's a good thing.
Eh wot now lad
Mutability is a protestant thing, while every branch of Buddhism all agree on anicca (impermanence) as a core doctrine. Everything will end. Transcendence is perhaps the wrong word to use in this context, enlightenment or nirvana being more appropriate, and it goes beyond losing modern psychological conceptions of self. It is annihilation, the permanent escape from samsara, the end of the cycle of life, death & suffering.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19014 on: July 25, 2018, 01:59:46 am »

It's the end of you as an individual, but it doesn't end you as in the process of the eternal universe. You're still there, but without a soul or identity.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19015 on: July 25, 2018, 02:04:49 am »

Buddhism doesn't believe that the soul/identity ("atman") exists. So, you are already without a soul or identity; you only think you have one because of maya.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19016 on: July 25, 2018, 02:06:30 am »

It's the end of you as an individual, but it doesn't end you as in the process of the eternal universe. You're still there, but without a soul or identity.

You're not dead, just everything that makes you you is dead.  I'd call that oblivion, because I similarly don't consider the energy contained in my body heat to be an essential part of me. Further, my body is not me, only my consciousness is.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19017 on: July 25, 2018, 03:18:40 am »

Also, I don't believe in free will. The universe is deterministic at the neuron level. To think otherwise is illogical.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19018 on: July 25, 2018, 03:23:09 am »

Also, I don't believe in free will. The universe is deterministic at the neuron level. To think otherwise is illogical.

Verily.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19019 on: July 25, 2018, 03:44:41 am »

Determinism doesn't matter if you can't determine it without being outside the universe.

To us, the universe is essentially random, because our knowledge of the future would alter the future.

Pages: 1 ... 1266 1267 [1268] 1269 1270 ... 1420