Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977721 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18840 on: July 01, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »

The inexorable death of the middle class in an increasingly polarized sociopolitical mutation.

Unfortunately he died before he had to worry much about it.  Then again most people prefer just not to talk about it in hopes of it going away or something.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18841 on: July 01, 2018, 04:21:00 pm »

For what it's worth, taking up a grain/cereals based diet can be cheap (both in cash & time investment) and nutritious as fuck. Oats are the GOAT food as you can prepare them quickly with boiling water, they're the best exchange rate from pounds/dollars/euros to nutrition, especially since they avoid the deficiencies caused by eating other monotonous diets.
I do like porridge... been a while since I've had it, I wouldn't mind getting some.
My "staple meal" is already pretty damn cheap, though. Not sure if I ever finished crunching the exact numbers but it seemed like it cost less than $7 a week, and as far as I'm aware it's nutritious af. I'm sure I could have made it a lot cheaper, too, if I'd gone the step further to source my veggies in bulk.

Though now I want oats, haha. Maybe I can afford both when I get paid tomorrow. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18842 on: July 02, 2018, 07:33:08 pm »

I'm mysteriously sick today, which would normally just be irritating, except I just got back from a vacation at the lake.  And I happen to know about the existence of this lovely specimen of single cellular life.  Naturally, I have all of the symptoms of an infection from it: headache, fever, mild nausea, runny nose and back pain, and the incubation timing is about perfect.  Nobody else I know of is sick, and I was just sick the week before last, so it seems weird I'd get sick again with just a cold.

Of course, I also know that these are the symptoms for almost literally anything that causes fever, and that there are on average 4 infections per year in the United States, but human brains are stupid and pick the worst possible case to obsess over.

As morbid as it sounds, I've been considering for a long time now writing up directions for my family in the event that I die unexpectedly, so that they can access my computers and online accounts.  I was specifically looking for some kind of dead man's switch software that I had to periodically disarm or it would pop up some kind of message on the computer.  I'm not sure why I wanted that specifically, since it seems pretty dramatic for such a thing.

I think a certain part of me really wants to make a recording like Dr. Light's capsule from Mega Man X or something.  I'm pretty sure in practice I'd just forget to disarm it or would go on vacation for a week and it would go off.

Edit:

Well, I am a programmer, so I reckon it couldn't be too hard to write something like that.  Since the infection usually kills within a few days, if I survive long enough to write the program, I'm probably fine.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:43:59 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18843 on: July 02, 2018, 08:03:46 pm »

First of all, infections from that are vanishingly rare. Not to say they don't happen, but millions of people can swim in the same bodies of water year after year without ever getting infected.

Secondly, runny nose does not actually appear to be a symptom. If you were vacationing, it's quite likely that you could have picked up a common bug from some random person. Far more likely than cerebral amoeba infection, at any rate.

Still, if you're worried you should see a doctor. They might be able to identify whatever it is you might have.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18844 on: July 02, 2018, 08:17:51 pm »

Run to a doctor ASAP
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18845 on: July 02, 2018, 09:39:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure it's some mundane infection and I don't think spending the money to have a doctor tell me it's a viral infection for which there is no treatment is worth my time.

The acetaminophen is helping anyway, so I'm no longer at peak anxiety levels.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18846 on: July 02, 2018, 10:41:16 pm »

Yeah, I'm sure it's some mundane infection and I don't think spending the money to have a doctor tell me it's a viral infection for which there is no treatment is worth my time.

The acetaminophen is helping anyway, so I'm no longer at peak anxiety levels.
Still be careful. Baal is understandably worried- the water can carry some nasty stuff, as he knows.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18847 on: July 03, 2018, 12:17:06 am »

Doctors are not magical curealls either - particularily for minor stuff. Odds are that you're wasting time and money for that kind of thing
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18848 on: July 03, 2018, 01:22:41 am »

Perhaps is not the fact that a doctor can or can't threat a virus, but dehydration and nasty side effects of decompensation and lack of electrolytes and what not can be dangerous or even mortal.

Now, you are worrying about a potentially mortal infection and how most symptoms are a perfect match, that's enough in my book to go to a doctor, if you are wrong I guess it's not all the money and time in the world wasted (I guess you do have access to not-broke-your-ass decent basic health care), but what if you are right on your suspicions?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18849 on: July 03, 2018, 01:30:33 am »

If he's right he's screwed no matter what he does. Naegleriasis has a fatality rate of 95%  :P More realistically, those symptoms are also a perfect match for the common cold  :P

Goes without saying I'm not giving official advice about going or not going to the doctor at any given circumstance, mostly because I refuse to be held liable for other people's decisions. But you have to be realistic about your expectations, particularily your expectations from an ED
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18850 on: July 03, 2018, 03:20:20 am »

Don't go to the doctor. If you don't have the disease, you've wasted a bunch of time and money. If you do, there's no way to cure it and you'll spend the last few weeks of your life constantly worrying about your imminent death. Much better to just think everything's alright and then be wrong and die suddenly than to know that no way to save you and spend your little remaining time in misery, IMO.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18851 on: July 03, 2018, 04:46:00 am »

Always assume you've got a terminal disease and will be dead in 48 hours and live like it's your last day on Earth.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18852 on: July 03, 2018, 04:53:43 am »

Don't.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18853 on: July 03, 2018, 05:33:30 am »

[homertreatingthedayasifitwashislast.gif]
Love, scriver~