Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977480 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18645 on: May 02, 2018, 05:51:33 am »

Dude the check engine ligth could be anything, from a burn out sensor, low engine oil or a serious mechanical hazard or even a preprogrammed crap installed when you reach X amount of KM (or miles for you in Liberia,  Myanmar or USA).

From what you say it might me something stupid. Maybe a timing belt or chain replacement (depending on which one your car uses, belts are way cheaper but need to be changed more frequently, exactly the opposite with chains), or maybe some filter or sensor. Don't sweat it until you really know, and maybe find a second opinion if you can.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18646 on: May 02, 2018, 06:32:13 am »

The check engine light is almost guaranteed to be only emissions related.  So it's only "serious" in the sense that they want you to take the vehicle in to get serviced (and in the sense that, if you are in a location that has mandatory emissions checks it might be an issue).

I'm not aware of any modern vehicle actually where the check engine light is related to a mechanical issue.  Mechanical issues usually have separate dedicated lights actually: brake light - serious. Low oil light - serious. Overtemp light - potentially costly.  Tire pressure light - annoying.

Fun random related facts: your check engine light can illuminate if your gas cap doesn't maintain a tight enough seal.  Depending on the age of the car, the most likely issues are one of the O2 sensors or a failing ignition coil.  Could be a dirty fuel injector, and on some cars maybe a dirty air filter.  I think sometimes a clogged PCV valve can throw the light too.

If you're in the US - don't know about other locations - most chain automotive parts stores will pull the code for you and you can usually buy the replacement part yourself.  If you're handy with a wrench, it can save a ton of money; I had a failed O2 sensor once and I replaced it myself. Cost was maybe $30 and an hour of my time, instead of over $100 and more than an hour at a repair shop.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18647 on: May 02, 2018, 07:09:23 am »

I'm not aware of any modern vehicle actually where the check engine light is related to a mechanical issue.
I had this on my 2006 Ford Ka, sniff sniff... how I miss that car. :'(

Low oil pressure was fucking up the tensor of the timing chain (because that tensor works with engine oil instead of a coil because... don't know) and the lack of tension was allowing the chain to eat up the plastic skids and somewhat affecting the engine thus the light was on. Or at least that's what I was told. It was replaced (was about time) and the light went off. Funnily the oil lamp never got on, maybe it was burnt out or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18648 on: May 02, 2018, 08:17:25 am »

They claimed it was the fuel cap, yeah, but also a rubber-rotted gasket which was supposedly causing air to get in.  That's the expensive part (I already have an estimate on the cost, so at least I know).
I say "supposedly" but I do believe them.  The car's from 2004, and I'm sure the computer said the mix has too much air.  It's just that the car *felt* perfect.  I was upset and irrational, though I kept control (until I snapped at my mom afterwards).

All of it (there was stuff like extra-cloudy headlights) needed to be done at some point, I guess.  I don't like being forced to fix it.  My windshield wipers were fine, frick, but it literally takes a minute to swap them so I'm letting them do it.  Gotta pass that inspection.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18649 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:04 am »

All of it (there was stuff like extra-cloudy headlights) needed to be done at some point, I guess.
You could do that yourself, in theory. Toothpaste can be used to polish the exterior of the headlights. It might not end up perfect but it could help.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18650 on: May 02, 2018, 11:40:17 am »

All of it (there was stuff like extra-cloudy headlights) needed to be done at some point, I guess.
You could do that yourself, in theory. Toothpaste can be used to polish the exterior of the headlights. It might not end up perfect but it could help.

A mechanic friend of mine said bug spray works too but I haven't tested it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18651 on: May 02, 2018, 12:21:13 pm »

Also, you can buy kits to do the headlight polishing yourself. It's fairly straightforward, my Dad did that for the family's cars.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18652 on: May 02, 2018, 01:20:26 pm »

Also, you can buy kits to do the headlight polishing yourself. It's fairly straightforward, my Dad did that for the family's cars.

I'm sorry, but both slavery and child labour is against the law these days
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18653 on: May 06, 2018, 02:55:39 am »

I appreciate the advice.  It's all okay now.  It was expensive, but only by a short-sighted perspective.  The car hadn't given me trouble for a long time, this was inevitable. 
I was much more concerned that I lost control and snapped at someone who was helping me, but that's okay.  I apologized immediately, and we went walking/talking the next day.

Unrelated:  I watched Pikasprey LP "Doki Doki Literature Club" a couple days ago.  I'm still not sure how to feel about it, but it certainly terrified my jimmies.  Maybe touched a phobia a little.
The investment in the characters was very good.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18654 on: May 06, 2018, 06:17:03 pm »

A magical game. I enjoyed it thoroughly myself. Given that it's free and not skill-based, I'd recommend downloading and playing yourself over watching an LP.

Best ending payoff since Portal. :P

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18655 on: May 06, 2018, 07:33:10 pm »

Honestly, I think I liked what it was pretending to be more than what it turned into.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18656 on: May 06, 2018, 09:21:52 pm »

Honestly, I think I liked what it was pretending to be more than what it turned into.
And yet the game wouldn’t have been as popular as it was if it weren’t for the second half. I just think it was an issue in execution.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18657 on: May 06, 2018, 09:38:54 pm »

I'm not saying that the route they took was wrong, just that it isn't what I would have preferred them going with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18658 on: May 06, 2018, 10:09:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18659 on: May 09, 2018, 05:40:42 pm »

I have winged it and gotten more focused and overwrought with work than I really ought to ever be in one life-time, but the absolute cake in my sleep-addled state is that I have been fretting and stressing over my dissertation, whose topic pertains to happy fun life of Lovecraft and the racism in his works. I had moved tabs just to get up a reference from a scholar's works on Poe, and was completely thrown aback when the image of Poe was Poe, but his eyes had fallen out and the blood poured from my screen, and then I woke up - realizing I had fallen asleep, woken up my computer from its sleep and went back to work. The image of Poe is not acting up anymore, but for even a moment it seemed real.
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 1420