Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977479 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18630 on: April 30, 2018, 02:56:48 pm »

I'm going to start jogging and running again, when this type of mood comes on me. I used to do it all the time but I fell out the habit since I met my wife. And being an addict bugs me ever so slightly, but much more than that is some other personal issues I have, that I'd rather not discuss at this time. I feel like an amoral piece of shit because of them, but I am working on them.
On addiction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg

This might help explain it. If not its an informative video none the less.
Interesting{citation needed}.

There's also illegal bullshit magic lemon if you like things that are too good to be true.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18631 on: April 30, 2018, 03:31:56 pm »

Slept in, due to my extra alarms not being set to repeat each day, for some reason. I turned off the first one, figuring I'd get a tiny bit more rest before the next alarm at ten past. Bloody good thing I woke up again and checked my phone in confusion, it was something like ten to. :o   

Edit: hang in there, Hans. I for one think you're pretty awesome.
Keep on staying busy, or as LordBaal said, read some heady, cathartic shit to put your emotions in perspective.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18632 on: April 30, 2018, 03:46:31 pm »

I'm going to start jogging and running again, when this type of mood comes on me. I used to do it all the time but I fell out the habit since I met my wife. And being an addict bugs me ever so slightly, but much more than that is some other personal issues I have, that I'd rather not discuss at this time. I feel like an amoral piece of shit because of them, but I am working on them.
On addiction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg

This might help explain it. If not its an informative video none the less.

Oh I've done Drug Court. It's an intensive supervised Probationary treatment program overseen by the Justice Department. I know all about the cycle of addiction, all about addiction being a 'disease', and all the AA shit. I did 21 days in a Rehab center, then I did two years of counseling, probation, classes on addiction, group therapy, the whole nine fucking yards. I was drug tested every two days for two years.

---

Fuck, I watched that video. Goddamn. It's much more correct than anything I've ever heard.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18633 on: May 01, 2018, 06:20:42 am »

Even though I barely know you, I hope you get better.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18634 on: May 01, 2018, 09:38:32 am »

There's also illegal bullshit magic lemon if you like things that are too good to be true.
If I recall correctly, there are groups in the US doing studies on this for medical benefits.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18635 on: May 01, 2018, 09:51:20 am »

Oh, there are a number of organizations doing research on it, there are even clinics in countries around the world that treat with it without having the research to back it up yet.

Documentation is limited and not well-reviewed for the most part, and as with all hallucinogens you've got to be vewwy vewwy cawwefuw so as not to cause any particularly nasty reactions. A new bid on a drug-free life may not mean as much if you come out of the treatment as Syd Barrett.

I mean, if it really does work like it says on the tin, that's great. Buuut... Well, Japanese stem cells.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18636 on: May 01, 2018, 11:09:27 am »

Looking into it, the stem cell stuff in Japan is probably because it's the largest growth sector of medical research in Japan, making up 12% currently of medical research funding in the nation ($1.15 billion in funding per year). So sure, you can have some frauds and mistakes but that doesn't mean that the whole field or that all stem cell research in Japan is bogus.

It could be more likely to seem that way if the only information you have about Japanese stem cell research is e.g. the heavily publicized news stories abouyt Haruko Obokata from the Riken Center for Developmental Biology. But also note, that it was Riken themselves who blew the whistle on that researcher's work being bogus. When the research facility themselves are the ones bringing up investigations as to whether their own researchers are committing fraud then it's actually more comforting: Riken didn't cover up the scandal in order to protect their funding. Note that Haruko Obokata was a "guest researcher" at a 100-year-old institute with over 3000 researchers. It's a little unfair to tarnish the entire field of Japanese stem cell research because of the fraudulent research of just one person. Note, that her Japanese PhD was in Engineering, and prior to the scandal she'd spent two years working in medical research at Harvard Medical School - it was clearly the fact that she worked at Harvard, under American stem-cell researchers, which landed her the job at Riken.

Compare similar incidents such as the Schon Scandal, in which a German research was faking "breakthrough" semi-conductor research. And won some prestigious awards before anyone worked out he was faking the whole thing. We can ask if semi-conductors are such a valid field, since nobody picked up the fake science for so long. But we don't, because we aren't innately skeptical about semi-conductors. So there could be some bias against emergent fields here, where we highlight a few scandals as if they represent the field, in a way we don't do for fields we "accept".
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 11:25:09 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18637 on: May 01, 2018, 11:24:06 am »

I'm not saying all stem cell research from Japan is bogus, I'm saying that the one story about lab-grown stem cells got a lot farther than it should have before getting sufficiently checked.

People love sensational stories. Well-documented and peer-reviewed evaluations of pros and cons aren't very sensational. "One dose of wonder drug permanently cures all addictions" is definitely sensational, and is definitely how some people are trying to push ibogaine.

Hell, there are still people trying to sell vitamin b17 as a cure for cancer, but at least now we have enough certified documentation that says "yeah, naw. Don't do that".

Also, as has been said before, it would really be appreciated if you spent a bit more time formulating your posts before publishing them, or at least marking the many subsequent edits as being edited.

EDIT: Case in point, by the time I'd finished writing this post (for the second time, after seeing you'd already made one major alteration), I saw that I was responding to a significantly different post than what was there when I started.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18638 on: May 01, 2018, 04:43:34 pm »

Ah, I thought Ibogaine treatment was mainly aimed at opioid addiction, but that's probably due to the context I read of it in.

And yeah, the initial 'cure all' phase of medicine is heady, but it's very common and as you said, people love sensational stories. On the plus side, all the press that the drug has gotten is decently balanced, noting that there have been deaths due to complications and misuse.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18639 on: May 01, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »

I mean, the more moderate articles on it do make it sound like it has great potential in treating various substance addiction. Here's to hoping that someday it can be put to safe use.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18640 on: May 01, 2018, 05:39:16 pm »

Hilarious. I only do alcohol on the reg. I do actual drugs very infrequently.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18641 on: May 01, 2018, 06:12:18 pm »

Well, that not perfect but well... I guess is better that way that the other and admitting the problem is a HUGE first steep.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18642 on: May 01, 2018, 06:38:19 pm »

admitting the problem is a HUGE first steep.
Yeah, agreed. We can work on the "infrequently" part! :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18643 on: May 01, 2018, 06:49:53 pm »

Even though I barely know you, I hope you get better.
Seconded. If you want to have a talk over PMs, I'm available.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18644 on: May 01, 2018, 08:32:46 pm »

Exhausted from nightmares, neighbors, and then a looong hike with mom, I found out my check engine light - from 5 months ago - is a supposedly serious issue that they'll need to fix immediately.  Car has worked fine all this time, but I need this to pass inspection.

I don't like being mad.  Well, I do, and that's obviously what terrifies me.
So long, large chunk of savings.  So much for this freelance work being sufficient.  But what really bothers me is that I got mad - so mad that I snapped at mom when she kept badgering about the last inspection date.  I apologized instantly, but it happened.  Who am I?

This heat makes me actually care about things, and get upset about them.  It's too nice, feeling alive like this.  No wonder I try to hide from people.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 1420