Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977092 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18480 on: March 31, 2018, 12:49:46 am »

It is clear that we should all move to Australia to join Yoink.

That said, I honestly do wish you luck, KittyTac.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18481 on: March 31, 2018, 07:05:22 am »

You are mixing up two things. There was one Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared over the Pacific (Flight 370), and there was one Malaysia Airlines plane that was shot down by a Russian BUK missile over the Ukraine (MH-17) killing about 300 people, mostly Dutch citizens, amongst whom top AIDS researchers on their way to the international AIDS congress. That never disappeared, it was pretty clear it had been shot down from the moment it happened.

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks. Still strange that the story flew under the radar.

...unlike the plane, heyoo!

Also the drugs, the drugs also make me not care. Which is good, because I tend to care a little too much about things that don't need it.
Sounds fun, what kind o' drugs?

I hope Russia nukes us all. We deserve it.   
Prescription, nothing really entertaining. Apparently one of them makes you see pink elephants, but only if you take about 20x the dosage that I do, so no luck there.

To Australia? There's a shady liquor store a block from my house that sells $10 bottles of vodka... ;)   

Well, we may not have $10 bottles of vodka, but Norway does have $10 glasses of beer! .4 litre, if you want to go crazy with a whole pint you'll need to shell out some more.

...And I used to live in the US, where you could pick up a $10 bottle of really clean stuff at any generic Costco, and the bottle's 1.75 litre. And the liquor stores don't close at 3p.m. on Saturdays.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18482 on: March 31, 2018, 08:07:28 am »

I was just remembering (related to the above post)  the weird psychiatrical effects of steroids.  What is specially strange is that  you find varying effects depending on your target population.  Back home I had a lot of complaints about anxiety and sleeplessness, with the odd one actually getting more aggressive.  Here people (even otherwise reasonably healthy people) outright trip out, with hallucinations and psychosis.
Apparently it's believed to be related to receptor density in the amygdala.

There's probably thesis material in there, if anyone here has an interest in neurology.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18483 on: March 31, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »

Had a bit of a scare this week, had an accident at work. Got my right middle finger pinched in a forklift mast.

It....looked pretty horrific. Scared everyone half to death. But it was a million dollar wound, a complete flesh wound to the bottom portion of my middle finger. No tendon or ligament or bone damage. Even the nail is intact.

Of course that part of my finger looks like hamburger right now, and I will have some bitchin scars.

To be honest....it didn't hurt as much as I would have thought based on the wound. I left a part of me in that forklift. But all I felt was a pinch when it happened, then throbbing and stinging for days afterward. It was Tuesday and by today, the pain is super managable. Honestly the most painful part of the whole thing were the three injections of local anesthetic in my finger so they could clean and stitch the wound. (12 stitches.) Watching someone sow a couple pieces of your finger back together....that was a thing.

For a few minutes after it happened I was seriously worried I'd lose the end of my finger. But after calming down enough to look at the wound rationally and evaluate my pain I realized I'd gotten off incredibly lucky. The pinch and cut was down to the fat layer but not much lower. Once I came to that realization, I just kinda glided through the rest of the ordeal. Everyone kept telling me how calmly I was taking it. It took everyone around me other than the ER staff a bit longer to relax. I scared the piss out of the people at the first urgent care clinic I was taken to, they saw the wound and thought I'd cut off my finger.

So remember kids, safety first!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18484 on: March 31, 2018, 04:08:48 pm »

I left a part of me in that forklift.

You are now married to the forklift. I´m sorry, I do not make the rules.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18485 on: March 31, 2018, 04:47:19 pm »

My granddad had an "incident" with his hydraulic log splitter, wherein the tip of his index finger got SpaceX'd into the air while he was out attending to a pile of firewood.

Of course, he's one of those people made from wood and leather that makes the rest of us pansies look bad, so he just kept working since he couldn't be arsed enough to stop and look for his finger. By the time his wife came outside and had a complete mental breakdown over the blood, they were too late getting to the doctor to reattach the tip. He's kinda proud of his stubby now, and delights in using it to point at things.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18486 on: March 31, 2018, 05:21:15 pm »

My dad also has a stubby. Couldn't reattach it in time when he took if off with the circular saw.

Steel, it don't give.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18487 on: March 31, 2018, 06:03:26 pm »

My father lost the tip of his finger when he was a kid. Using a power tool. Grandma had a heart attack and kept looking for it. As my dad put it, it ceased to exist.

My brother actually lost a good chunk of his finger in that axident trying to "teach" mom the proper way to swing an axe and not hurt yourself. Which i still find hilarious.

I axed my knee about a month ago too. Ricocheted off the wood i was swinging at. No serious damage but it bled like hell.

Maybe we shouldnt be trusted with dangerous tools...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18488 on: March 31, 2018, 06:07:49 pm »

My old man almost took his leg off at the knee with a rotary saw, once!

He was wearing those ultra-tough 4x thick army pants from the surplus store at the time, and they actually stopped the blade. My mother was wigging out while we were in the bathroom giggling because we could see his kneecap. He has a rad scar now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18489 on: March 31, 2018, 06:10:30 pm »

You giggled as your father gruesomely injured himself?

Truly, you belong with Bay12.

((Next step is giggling as you gruesomely injure him yourself, but shhhhh. The Toad Need Not Know.))
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18490 on: March 31, 2018, 06:38:57 pm »

Hey now, we were BOTH giggling, and it was after the event while we were in the bathroom so as not the bleed on the carpet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18491 on: March 31, 2018, 11:11:23 pm »

If there’s a “Mildy terrified” thread, remind me to move my post there instead.

In the final area of Deus Ex, there’s a portion with Greasels and Karkians in it. Both are green, unnatural-looking creatures that are very dangerous for different reasons.

Karkians can basically be described as Komodo Dragons but much bigger. They take out your legs before they kill you, meaning that if your character gets attacked by a Karkians the last thing they’ll see before their demise is a Karkian’s gaping maw. Additionally, I was playing Revision, which apparently gves Karkians a charging attack.

I was playing the game as a pacifist run, so I couldn’t kill said Karkians. Instead, I’d shoot at them until they retreated. Problem: Karkians have the ability to eat bodies, and will in fact may prioritize eating the bodies over attacking the player.

I’d knocked out several Greasels. Unconscious bodies still count as bodies.

I left the area and came back some time later, then opened up a terminal nearby...

As I do so, I suddenly hear a Karkians roar and JC grunt in pain.

I probably would’ve died if it weren’t for the inventory menu pausing the game.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18492 on: April 01, 2018, 12:51:40 am »

Re: injuries: I'm kind of amazed my father hasn't actually severed any fingers or anything. He has a pretty colourful track record of sustaining various minor injuries in the course of his carpentry/building work... it's kind of lucky that he can still play the guitar. :o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18493 on: April 01, 2018, 01:21:04 am »

I have a little tiny 1cm or so scar on my left wrist, very close to an important-looking artery. I got this by breaking a normal glass.
So if a normal everyday object can get that close to maiming me, you bet I'm going to be careful around power tools. The healthy kind of paranoia.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18494 on: April 01, 2018, 01:33:25 am »

When I get drunk I trace my scars, mostly over my right hand.  They're memories of when I was young and got in fights, and cared a lot about things.

The scary part being how I "don't care about anything anymore"[df].  I got a little mad today and it was actually notable, even though it was a private passing moment.  My main concern these days is how little I care.

And I'm merely *31*, and have only seen a couple of broken bones and bloody faces and well-preserved corpses.  For most of human history we saw much worse, and did much worse.  What does that mean?
Do we *need* that?  Is fiction just a substitute which leads to apathetic adulthood?

Are rhetorical questions a cowardly way to put forward unsupported notions?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 1231 1232 [1233] 1234 1235 ... 1420