Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1977091 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18465 on: March 30, 2018, 05:04:48 pm »

Also apparently they managed to find out that the Air Malaysia flight that "disappeared" was shot down by a Russian GtA rocket (denied by Russia), fired from an area located in Ukraine that's controlled by Russian-backed freedom fighters (denied by Russia). Guess I just live under a rock, somehow I hadn't heard about this until yesterday.

You are mixing up two things. There was one Malaysia Airlines plane that disappeared over the Pacific (Flight 370), and there was one Malaysia Airlines plane that was shot down by a Russian BUK missile over the Ukraine (MH-17) killing about 300 people, mostly Dutch citizens, amongst whom top AIDS researchers on their way to the international AIDS congress. That never disappeared, it was pretty clear it had been shot down from the moment it happened.

Just last week a monument has been raised at my home town's airport, to commemorate the MH-17 body bags arriving there with grand ceremony.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:12:26 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #18466 on: March 30, 2018, 05:08:37 pm »

...maybe MH370 disappeared because of a super long range Russian stealth missile?!?

WAKE UP SHEEPLE
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18467 on: March 30, 2018, 05:10:16 pm »

Oh yeah, that flight, still not sure how that happened nor how we aren't in our WW3 bunkers right now, but that happened.

Logic stopped working for some reason.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18468 on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:55 pm »

Oh yeah, that flight, still not sure how that happened nor how we aren't in our WW3 bunkers right now, but that happened.

Logic stopped working for some reason.
Mostly because Russia probably didn't actually order it done, so, while we all know it's kind of their fault, nobody else wants to set a dangerous precedent of "you can be blamed for things your proxy war groups did without asking", because we could all go down for that. :P

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #18469 on: March 30, 2018, 05:17:56 pm »

I get that, but how?
The hell even went through the operators head?
In a time before time, I had a name.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18470 on: March 30, 2018, 05:24:15 pm »

Oh quite simple, they thought it was a military plane, and they had no idea how to operate the FOF recognition on the BUK system.
There's even audio tapes of the guys who fired the thing a few minutes afterwards, you can hear them curse and facepalm when they realize they accidentally shot a civilian airliner instead of a Ukrainian bomber.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18471 on: March 30, 2018, 05:25:19 pm »

You know, it just feels like I'm gonna wake up and go to work one day, and won't be able to because all the roads will be jammed with cars, and when I ask one of the many people panicking and dying on the side of the road I'll be informed that WW3 started while I've been asleep and the world is ending.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18472 on: March 30, 2018, 05:34:53 pm »

Oh quite simple, they thought it was a military plane, and they had no idea how to operate the FOF recognition on the BUK system.
There's even audio tapes of the guys who fired the thing a few minutes afterwards, you can hear them curse and facepalm when they realize they accidentally shot a civilian airliner instead of a Ukrainian bomber.
You should be doing a bit more then cursing and facepalming after you accidentally murder hundreds of people. Something like running very fast far away.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18473 on: March 30, 2018, 06:23:34 pm »

In this case it's more interesting, because many of those diplomats are also trained as intelligence agents, so Russia's (and everyone else who got retaliated against) has gotten their spy networks seriously cramped by the sudden removal of personnel. Not only are they not talking, they now also don't know what the other guy is thinking.
I had a good chat with one bloke from the late USSR and we concurred that while expelling diplomats was mostly symbolic. The diplomatic ties will probably resume in 15 years and while diplomats tend to be spies, Russia has not been idle in implanting spies everywhere. To quote; there's probably more Russian spies in the Chelsea football club than there was in their embassy.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18474 on: March 30, 2018, 06:33:07 pm »

Thanks for the intel, I passed it on to MI6. Don't expect Chelsea to win any matches the coming years, they'll be looking for new players to replace the ones about to disappear without a trace.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18475 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:05 pm »

Thanks for the intel, I passed it on to MI6. Don't expect Chelsea to win any matches the coming years, they'll be looking for new players to replace the ones about to disappear without a trace.
Damn spy wars!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18476 on: March 30, 2018, 06:45:13 pm »

MI6 will already know, Chelsea got bought by the oligarch who originally recommended to Yeltsin that Putin be made President of Russia. Lots of Putin's allied oligarchs are pretty open about buying up loads of London and UK businesses, and have been noted to operate pretty comfortably using the UK as neutral ground (lol) against other Oligarchs, as they have been allowed to splurge money everywhere and bring MPs or even senior government ministers on luxury cruises important state business. It is only until Skirpal that the security faction of the UK government has decided to crackdown on Russian oligarchs, ignoring all other oligarchs obviously for some reason I'm sure rhymes with honey

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18477 on: March 30, 2018, 11:06:04 pm »

Also the drugs, the drugs also make me not care. Which is good, because I tend to care a little too much about things that don't need it.
Sounds fun, what kind o' drugs?

I hope Russia nukes us all. We deserve it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18478 on: March 31, 2018, 12:25:51 am »

I actually live in Russia, and let me be honest. I. Hate. This. Fucking. Country. To be fair, it would suck more if either the commies or the liberal democrats came to power, so whatever. I'm moving within 6 years.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18479 on: March 31, 2018, 12:41:32 am »

To Australia? There's a shady liquor store a block from my house that sells $10 bottles of vodka... ;)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 1420