Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976343 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17955 on: July 23, 2017, 07:22:35 pm »

Bears are huge, therefore scary.
However, bears are also fat, thus making them delicious.

Thus the only logical solution to bears is to eat the bears.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17956 on: July 23, 2017, 07:56:34 pm »

> W
You are in a clearing.
There is a bear!
> s/a/e/
You ere in e cleering.
Everything is greet!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17957 on: July 23, 2017, 08:35:25 pm »

Modern Russians still don't fear bears, they only fear Siberian hermits).
Am modern Russian, can confirm
I will maybe admit to being very mildly unnerved by bears

-snop-

Watched the first video.  That was almost interesting?  Needs something more to really accomplish what it's going for.
Personally I bloody loved it. I've seen a lot of surreal, freaky puppet movies, but they mostly just try to imitate DHMIS, and this is as far from that as one can get. Plus I really appreciate Jordan's ambients even on their own, and here they seem to do the job really well.
Check out Alan Resnick's stuff, namely Unedited Footage of a Bear (minor gore warning), This House Has People In It, and the Children of the Mirror, if you like this stuff.

-snep-

EDIT EDIT: Oh shit, how could I forget Petscop? It's not by Alan Resnick but it's pretty good too. Imo it's less creepy than the others and more just strange, but other people seem more affected by it than me, and it's a great watch even without the horror stuff.
I've seen three of those, actually. They're a rather different direction, though, in that they attempt to sort of insert themselves into reality - kind of like creepypasta in video form. I really enjoyed UFB and This House - Petscop is sort of too longwinded for me, I guess, so I lose the thread often between updates.
It's kind of refreshing in a way to see creepy shit that doesn't even try to be subtle and sneak up on you like This House does, and is instead just surreal and weird from the get-go.
I'll check out Children of the Mirror bit later, thanks for that.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17958 on: August 01, 2017, 08:08:42 pm »

wait until after opening week, then ask her our

I mean, that was the plan :P that's next week, and we aren't spending the entire week after rehearsing (Though it's two weekends of shows) either so I might try for a coffee date.

Update: I was rejected! But we're totally still friends so it's cool.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17959 on: August 01, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »

Well, at least you tried! And now you know, so you can stop torturing yourself over maybes :)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17960 on: August 03, 2017, 03:53:47 am »

US scientists warn, in an article in Nature Climate Change, that if global warming continues as is, large parts of South Asia will become completely uninhabitable for humans around the year 2100, because temperatures will reach a point too hot for humans to survive.

The researchers, that published an alarming studies about the Persian Gulf before, now focussed their research on the lowland flats aroud the Ganges and the Indes river. About 1 billion people live in the affected area.

Computer simulations show that in the north of India, and parts of Pakistan and Bangladesh will cross the temperature treshold above which human survival is impossible, in the last 3 decades of this century.
According to the authors, this is very alarming, for it is a region were extreme vulnerability and risk come together.

For their calculations, the researchers did not just look at temperature, but they included humidity as well.
The flats around the Ganges and Indus rivers have very high air humidity. This makes it hard for the human body to get rid of excess heat. Projected temperature rise will create a situation were a human body cannot survive for more than a few hours without fatally overheating.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/amerikaanse-wetenschappers-delen-van-zuid-azie-tegen-2100-onleefbaar-doordat-het-er-veel-te-heet-wordt~a4509331/

tl;dr: UK, get ready for 1 billion Indian and Pakistani refugees.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17961 on: August 03, 2017, 07:42:35 am »

yurop gonna get ready for unlimited enrichment

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17962 on: August 03, 2017, 03:03:46 pm »

India and Pakistan could just nuke each other, refugee and dearmament at the same time! problem solved!

In all seriousness that sounds like a really bad thing to happen, how long before the middle east and china take their own hard(er) right turn due to xenophobia brought on by that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17963 on: August 03, 2017, 03:27:12 pm »

India and Pakistan could just nuke each other, refugee and dearmament at the same time! problem solved!

In all seriousness that sounds like a really bad thing to happen, how long before the middle east and china take their own hard(er) right turn due to xenophobia brought on by that.
Reminds me of futurama where they joke that global warming never happened in the past because it got canceled out due to nuclear winter

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17964 on: August 03, 2017, 03:38:00 pm »

I'd be more like, Pakistan and India telling the rest of the world to share their greener pastures with them, once they are running out of hospitable space to live, or they'll just nuke the world. I mean, at that point they'd have nothing to lose, and no fear of being nuked back, because that would likely be preferable over dying of heatstroke.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #17965 on: August 03, 2017, 03:47:13 pm »

The real question is at what point India and China start threatening to nuke us if we don't cut back our emissions.  Oh what you gonna do, turn our uninhabitable wasteland into a radioactive uninhabitable wasteland?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17966 on: August 03, 2017, 05:05:42 pm »

The real question is at what point India and China start threatening to nuke us if we don't cut back our emissions.  Oh what you gonna do, turn our uninhabitable wasteland into a radioactive uninhabitable wasteland?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I detect a problem

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17967 on: August 03, 2017, 11:45:38 pm »

Yeah, but look at those per-capita numbers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17968 on: August 04, 2017, 01:08:00 pm »

Yeah, but look at those per-capita numbers.
I don't think global warming will give a shit if we manage an equitable distribution of death

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17969 on: August 04, 2017, 01:20:55 pm »

The gross carbon release is obviously important, but per capita and how it changes over time is a good indicator of how carbon reduction is being handled by a particular nation.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1196 1197 [1198] 1199 1200 ... 1420