Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1971522 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17475 on: January 23, 2017, 01:30:25 pm »

Nowadays though I hear the kids don't cut much, if at all.
I think it's mostly because there isn't that much to be learned from it that can't be read from books. I did dissect a herring in high school, and the teacher dissected a pig's heart, but they were more along the lines of demonstrations of what we've learned than an actual learning experiences. We also looked at thin onion slices under a microscope to see the cells, but most vegetables aren't particularly gruesome to cut up.

Sorry for pic only post. Immediately thought of this.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17476 on: January 23, 2017, 01:46:19 pm »

I have been present in ONE. No matter what you think, the worst thing is not what you hear or see... it's what you smell.

Now I dont know if  I can compare it with something... or maybe I can. Have you ever smelled something dead and rotting?
Do you have one of those bottles of peppermint concentrate? I've heard stories.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17477 on: January 23, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »

I think it's mostly because there isn't that much to be learned from it that can't be read from books. I did dissect a herring in high school, and the teacher dissected a pig's heart, but they were more along the lines of demonstrations of what we've learned than an actual learning experiences. We also looked at thin onion slices under a microscope to see the cells, but most vegetables aren't particularly gruesome to cut up.
Mostly, yes. At highschool we didn't cut much though, just a frog and a piglet. Most of my cutting was done during my biology studies at university. I am totally cool with replacing those with virtual reality. I don't completely agree though with what you said, that everything can be learned from books. The 3d placement of stuff inside an animal, or plant for that matter, isn't readily converted into 2d book pages. Virtual reality does allow for that though, which is why I'm totally cool with getting rid of real dissection. It spares a lot of animal lives.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17478 on: January 23, 2017, 02:16:56 pm »

I have been present in ONE. No matter what you think, the worst thing is not what you hear or see... it's what you smell.

Now I dont know if  I can compare it with something... or maybe I can. Have you ever smelled something dead and rotting?
Do you have one of those bottles of peppermint concentrate? I've heard stories.
No. But I was asked to spray the area with hydroalcoholic gel while the guy who was actually doing this did this.

It was my very first ER shift, like, five years ago or so.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17479 on: January 23, 2017, 02:35:18 pm »

Re. career option: I'm 18, I'm studying to become an engineer. Here's a secret: I'm still considering changing my career once I can get an engineer job and save for a double major. People will tell you that you have to find a career you know you will love, but if you can't tell you might as well find something to get you money to try out all the careers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17480 on: January 23, 2017, 02:38:30 pm »

I would like to develop games and make some huge fuck-off labor of love like Undertale or something. But the truth is I've heard a lot of horror stories about labors of love. Relatively few horror stories out there about mobile ad-pusher microtransaction games.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17481 on: January 23, 2017, 02:43:33 pm »

Just wait until you look back on your life and realize your only contribution to the human race was something soulless and negative, then the horror will come.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17482 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:37 pm »

even soulless and negative people gotta get paid bruh
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17483 on: January 23, 2017, 02:48:49 pm »

Just wait until you look back on your life and realize your only contribution to the human race was something soulless and negative, then the horror will come.
I mean, if you work, then you're sort of helping other people who might do something beneficial to the human race, so therefore a person is significant just by virtue of existing.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #17484 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:14 pm »

I don't completely agree though with what you said, that everything can be learned from books.
Of course not. By 'be read from books' I meant 'be taught via methods that don't require getting one's hands dirty'. I would include videos and VR and such in the same category as books, when compared to actually taking a scalpel to an animal.

One more biology class memory: we did a few tests on blood samples we took from ourselves. At least that produced some unpredictable results; when opening up the herrings, the only data that wasn't the same for everyone was the fishes' sexes and whether the student could extract the swim bladder without breaking it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17485 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:59 pm »

I don't completely agree though with what you said, that everything can be learned from books.
Of course not. By 'be read from books' I meant 'be taught via methods that don't require getting one's hands dirty'. I would include videos and VR and such in the same category as books, when compared to actually taking a scalpel to an animal.

I don't agree with that either.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17486 on: January 23, 2017, 04:08:42 pm »

I don't agree with that either.
Well, for anatomy lessons, yes, virtual reality can replace everything. For people training to be a veterinarian, or surgeon however, it is indeed nescessary to practice on the real thing (because you're learning how to cut, not how something looks like from the inside), although 3d printing techniques are rapidly replacing things there too. At least I think that's what you mean when you say that you don't agree with that.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:11:26 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17487 on: January 23, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »

Surely 3D printing a large section of a body is more expensive than just acquiring a cadaver?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17488 on: January 23, 2017, 04:15:28 pm »

Surely 3D printing a large section of a body is more expensive than just acquiring a cadaver?
For veterinarian studies, barely. Perhaps for common animals. Try getting 100 elephant corpses though. Hard, at least legally. Bad example maybe, printing an elephant would be quite a challenge. Good thing is, you can print just the part of the animal body you're practicing on, and leave out the rest.
For human surgery? No. 3D printing could very well become the final solution to 'why do so goddamn little people donate their bodies to science' conundrum.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17489 on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »

For human surgery? No. 3D printing could very well become the final solution to 'why do so goddamn little people donate their bodies to science' conundrum.

You jest, of course.  3D printing a realistic human body for education? There's no way that's going to be cost effective without dummying it out. And if you're going to dummy it out, might as wel stick with a dummy.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:20:06 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 [1166] 1167 1168 ... 1420