Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1969563 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #17265 on: December 12, 2016, 03:01:37 pm »

So much snow. Why did I even bother to shovel the driveway yesterday. All the effort in the world cannot into snow.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Because if you hadn't, that snow could've become packed down and harder to remove?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #17266 on: December 12, 2016, 03:18:56 pm »

Is that adjusted for how many people drive/fly?
In the United States, the statistical probability to die in an air or space transport accident per year was about 1 in 767,303 in the year 2013. The statistical probability to die in a land vehicle accident per year was about 1 in 8938 in the year 2013. (source)

The source does say this, though:
For example, more people are killed in auto accidents than in motorcycle accidents or airplane crashes, not because riding a motorcycle or traveling in an airplane is more or less dangerous, but because far more people travel by car.

Still, imagine if only professional mass transit requiring a hard-to-get license was allowed for land traffic. I would say there would be far fewer accidents, and not only because of there being less traffic. Cars are dangerous not because you in particular don't know how to drive safely, but because there are idiots who danger everyone else around them.

Further stats I found but couldn't find a way to refer to.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:26:54 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17267 on: December 12, 2016, 09:03:18 pm »

A very good friend has chronic CNS inflammation. It may very well be MS.

Welp.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #17268 on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:26 am »

Unsure where other links are but about something that happened a few months ago; I'm glad things really weren't as caustic as many...sporadic comments right after the event were literally meant to be like.

What terrifies me is that it seems to be becoming a culture now in making feedback, loud caustic comments being the most vocal despite being the minority within popular-ish comment boards. :-\
And these are mostly hosted along western countries, usually english speaking in the majority [although international].

E:

TBH I don't think determinism and free will are antagonical. In fact, I don't think that they're even related problems.
+1 to this :P
...Actually reminds me of a giant table where these kinds of ideas are set side to side and details are laid out. :O And it's somewhere in my notes--but they aren't problems by their existence.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:07:51 am by Tiruin »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17269 on: December 14, 2016, 10:28:41 pm »

A very good friend has chronic CNS inflammation. It may very well be MS.

Welp.
He said two days ago that he'd get the vital test results today. He hasn't.

Whaddya guys think - is this a good sign, or a bad one?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17270 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:14 pm »

Probably just lab delay, happens all the time.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17271 on: December 15, 2016, 10:30:51 am »

I hope the news is good, whatever it ends up being. Good luck to him.

My Terrified: goddamn synthwave is gonna kill me with sheer nostalgia. I'm going back to nice, pleasant funeral doom.
...After this song.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17272 on: December 15, 2016, 11:49:21 am »

My Terrified: goddamn synthwave is gonna kill me with sheer nostalgia. I'm going back to nice, pleasant funeral doom.
...After this song.
Whenever something from hotline miami sneaks onto my youtube autoplay, it takes me through a day's worth of synthwave. I'd have it no other way.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17273 on: December 15, 2016, 05:10:40 pm »

Aaaand nope, it's MS.

He says it's not so bad though in the medium term. I hope it'll work out.
The Bay12 postcard club

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17274 on: December 15, 2016, 05:43:14 pm »

I hope it's non-progressive. Do people in Germany get mediweed for MS too? It's one of the few things over here where health insurance will pay for your weed.

EDIT: MS is nasty. It's like, a ticking time-bomb. Every day there's a chance one or more of your muscles will fail (or at least, the neurons making them function). Could be your arm muscle, could be your leg muscle, or it could be your heart or your diapraghm muscles. It's possible for it to not progress for years though. Friend of mine was diagnosed 20 years ago. It's not progressive for over 10 years now.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:49:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17275 on: December 15, 2016, 09:36:55 pm »

H.P Lovecraft audiobooks read by Wayne June, good lord that man can send chills down your spine.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17276 on: December 15, 2016, 11:55:08 pm »

Aaaand nope, it's MS.

He says it's not so bad though in the medium term. I hope it'll work out.
Are there any treatment options for MS or do you just have to hope for the best? Regardless of what happens I hope that everything turns out not too badly.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17277 on: December 16, 2016, 01:07:30 am »

:o
That is ungood...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17278 on: December 16, 2016, 01:42:34 am »

There are treatments and options nowadays.  Quite a few in fact. Sucks but not as much as it might.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17279 on: December 16, 2016, 02:57:54 am »

There's no cure. Just treatments for the symptoms, and some treatments that sometimes slow down progression (although that's hard to prove, as the disease itself has no set pace. A halt of progression could be the medicine, it could also just be the disease itself deciding not to progress for a few years.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:01:12 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 1150 1151 [1152] 1153 1154 ... 1420