Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1962465 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16350 on: June 18, 2016, 09:21:49 am »

Wasn't where I took it. Was a written test, then (though I sorta' remember the written test might have happened some number of days before or somethin'?) a fairly short drive down the road, a left turn, shorter drive down dirt road, three point turn, then returning to the DMV office. Demonstration of ability to park and basic "Don't be stupid" stuff like putting on your seatbelt, using blinkers, etc. Practical part didn't even take twenty minutes, near as I can recall. Don't believe there was anything about maintenance at all... maybe a check to see if you knew how to check the oil? If there was, it wasn't much and wasn't particularly comprehensive.

I guess to be fair, it would have taken more than a 45 minute drive to reach traffic worth mention from there, and the only particular driving conditions in between are light traffic (which the drive to the dirt road covered), dirt road with little to no traffic (covered), and offroad, which they mostly don't give two shits if you kill yourself doing. Could have maybe made it to the interstate (though just getting there would probably have added a half hour or so, total, nevermind actually driving on it), but about all that would check in th'region the test was taken was if you can keep the car going straight when you're going 65.

Pretty sure the driving lessons (provided by the schools, among other options) in the area actually do do something like that more thorough test as part of their programs, though. It's just, as stated, they're not mandatory, and I never ended up taking them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #16351 on: June 18, 2016, 09:43:45 am »

Okay, now I'm properly terrified of American roads.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16352 on: June 18, 2016, 10:02:22 am »

If you want something really terrifying, as near as I and anyone I've met that's commented on it can tell, I'm actually one of the better drivers on the road by a pretty notable margin (and have been basically since day one) :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16353 on: June 18, 2016, 10:05:09 am »

Okay, now I'm properly terrified of American roads.
From what I hear, our roads have nothing on roads in many Asian countries, including Russia.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16354 on: June 18, 2016, 10:14:26 am »

'bout the same thing I hear, but, uh. Damning with faint praise and all that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16355 on: June 18, 2016, 07:24:39 pm »

My driving test is about ten minutes on main road and backstreets with several awkward spots to test your knowledge of the rules, as well as a maneuverability test which is basically parallel parking but with cones.  You drive between cones, turn and set yourself up between four cones, then back into the starting space, and if you knock a cone over you lose.
Shoes...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16356 on: June 19, 2016, 02:27:28 am »

You drive between cones, turn and set yourself up between four cones, then back into the starting space, and if you knock a cone over you lose.
I saw this on The Simpsons but assumed it was a joke because it's so utterly worthless for driving skills
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16357 on: June 19, 2016, 12:52:36 pm »

Nope.

... actually, for some skills (parallel parking or somethin', I'unno), it may be the best option available in some areas. Boonies get boonie.

Do have to say I'm now kinda' wondering if anyone's actually gone and done a comparative study of driving test rigor. Maybe crosschecked it with local accident rates, see if there's any indication of if/how much it matters. It'd be pretty terrifying if there was actually a negative correlation between test rigor and local driving safety...
Ask not!
Ask!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16358 on: June 19, 2016, 01:37:18 pm »

I literally just passed my driving test a few days ago. Funny to see this here. Yeah I did a three-point parking exercise between cones, then the instructor took me out on the road and we cruised around a little. It was far easier than I thought it would be. The roads in Phoenix are very reasonable. We have a grid system. It's by far the easiest city to navigate that I've ever been to. California on the other hand is a nightmare.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:39:33 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16359 on: June 19, 2016, 05:30:54 pm »

Here in Ontario there's a written test, followed by a year where you can drive but only with a licensed driver in the passenger seat, followed by a road test, followed by a year where you can drive on your own but only with zero blood alcohol (plus some other weird restrictions based on your age), followed by a second road test including highway-driving after which you finally get your full license.

I'm... still working on it. :-\

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16360 on: June 20, 2016, 12:38:46 am »

Watched Barry Hines' "Threads". Cold War and the threat of nuclear winter was some deep shit.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #16361 on: June 20, 2016, 12:42:55 am »

I think my neighbor misheard me and thinks I said "it's fun" instead of "it's fine" when we were talking about me feeding and cleaning up after his cats when he's on vacation.

More of an awkward thing than a terrified thing I guess, but we don't have a thread for that.
It's FEF, not FEOF

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16362 on: June 20, 2016, 12:49:43 am »

It's a bad time when you have to stop gaming because of how much pain you're in. Typing and mousing hurts...yet here I am. Rock you like a hurricane.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16363 on: June 20, 2016, 01:27:10 am »

Here in Ontario there's a written test, followed by a year where you can drive but only with a licensed driver in the passenger seat, followed by a road test, followed by a year where you can drive on your own but only with zero blood alcohol (plus some other weird restrictions based on your age), followed by a second road test including highway-driving after which you finally get your full license.

I'm... still working on it. :-\

I first started learning to drive in the north-central US, where getting a permit was easy (basically be 14.5 years old and take a 25 questions multiple-choice test (scoring at least 80%)) but the test was really hard and there were lots of restrictions after getting it. I actually got my license in the South, though, and the driver's test was really easy. Even though I almost messed up a three-point turn, didn't know how to park on a hill (because I learned to drive in a place with no hills), and was told that I needed to work on starting and stopping less suddenly, I still passed and was allowed to drive without any extra restrictions.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16364 on: June 20, 2016, 03:00:23 am »

When I was in school I took a driver's ed exam and did okay. Iowa has some law regarding driving with a licensed passenger while on a permit, too. I was pretty terrible back then, too, and when the learning permit expired I was back in Idaho. There is a law here regarding youths under the age of 17 being unable to get a license unless they take the driver's ed course. Passing another states' drivers' ed course doesn't count. So I waited until I was 17, took a very simple driving test, and got my license because hurdur I are old enuf now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 ... 1420