Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1962631 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #16290 on: June 06, 2016, 10:55:36 am »

I need to either stop reading mildly scary internet stories or just toughen up and learn to sleep.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16291 on: June 06, 2016, 11:41:59 am »

Pressure ulcers, yes. Microcirculation fails with continued immobility
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16292 on: June 06, 2016, 12:19:43 pm »

Anyway, don't the skin/muscle tissue like... Literally rot away if continous pressure is applied to it and its remains imobile for a long time? That woman's skin probably literally fused with the fabric. I mean, there's a reason to why nurses move comatose patients around when they're not cleaning them or applying medication.
Pressure ulcers, yes. Microcirculation fails with continued immobility
And this is why I'm somewhat sceptical of these "fat person sat motionless for a decade or whatever" shock stories. You simply can't live that long when most of your body is covered in infected bed sores – just ask nursing home staff.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16293 on: June 06, 2016, 02:15:27 pm »

I tripped while sitting down and thought I was going to die because my head would have come down eye-first onto the corner of my desk if I hadn't caught myself
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16294 on: June 06, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »

Yikes.  Glad you're okay.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16295 on: June 06, 2016, 05:22:05 pm »

And this is why I'm somewhat sceptical of these "fat person sat motionless for a decade or whatever" shock stories. You simply can't live that long when most of your body is covered in infected bed sores – just ask nursing home staff.
A 43-year old morbidly obese man who had been stuck to a reclining chair for two years was found unconscious by roommates who immediately called the police. The Ohio man died later at Wheeling Hospital, West Virginia.
According to medical staff, the man lived with a girlfriend and a friend in Bellaire, Ohio. They used to feed him because his skin was literally fused to the chair.
 The police and firefighters said that when they came to his home his skin was stuck to the chair's fabric, he was infested with maggots and his own feces and urine. A policeman described the scene as the worst he had ever seen. After helping the man get out of his chair, another officer said he had to throw away his uniform. The conditions in the rest of the house were described as "filthy".
 A few years ago a morbidly obese female became stuck to a sofa and eventually died.

I don't know how you manage to survive that long in those conditions before reaching that point, but it seems not many do (and the few that do, not for long)

According to an RN: “We got a lady who was admitted because her many decubiti needed debriding (aka, her bedsores needed to be treated). She had several of them, and was so fat, she was as wide as she was tall. I took all of her clothes off and prepared to dress and document all of her wounds.

Part of her abdomen and one of her breasts were greenish; I thought she had a fungus or something. I started wiping it off and followed it up to a skin fold, where I found . . . a quarter, a dime, and a penny–that was oxidizing and was turning her skin green. There were perfectly round sores underneath each coin. The smell was lovely too.”
This is beyond my comprehension

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16296 on: June 06, 2016, 05:27:02 pm »

Apparently, low BMI is a risk factor for bedsores (which is not really surprising), so it might be that above a certain point, the sheer amount of amortisation and an increase in vasculature that goes along with the fat formation offsets the risk a bit.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16297 on: June 06, 2016, 05:52:30 pm »

There's a rather large (about index finger sized) centipede like thing crawling about my room. Not particularly scared by it's presence alone, rather, if it decides to be adventurous when I got to sleep it might end up getting crushed on accident. I really don't like the idea of cleaning bug bits out of my bed sheets :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16298 on: June 06, 2016, 05:56:01 pm »

Looking at this: "The indications for surgery were typical including a large amount of overhanging abdominal skin and fat (hangs down to mid-thigh level) that was associated with underlying chronic skin infections, history of panniculitis, and the presence of a hernia.
So it seems some somehow manage to survive a whole host of illnesses long enough to bond with their platforms. Rather awesomely, in that article they have a picture of two orderlies or doctors holding an excised pannus, which is about a fifth the size of them and probably the same in weight. I can't imagine the relief the person that thing was excised from must be feeling literally having 15kgs taken off their chest! I always wondered if it was feasible to cut off these long rolls of fat, and seems it is possible - altogether the only silver lining for those who have reached the point of incapability

I tripped while sitting down and thought I was going to die because my head would have come down eye-first onto the corner of my desk if I hadn't caught myself
Don't worry, the human eye is surprisingly sturdy, so the most probable worst case scenario is that you'd lose the eye and have to have an eyepatch

I like the phrase: "most probable worst case scenario"

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16299 on: June 06, 2016, 06:11:16 pm »

Don't worry, the human eye is surprisingly sturdy, so the most probable worst case scenario is that you'd lose the eye and have to have an eyepatch
Can you imagine explaining that to your grandkids?

"How'd you lose your eye, gramps? A murder of crows? War? Pirates? A war with a murder of pirate crows?"
"Nah, I tripped."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #16300 on: June 06, 2016, 06:14:44 pm »

Looking at this: "The indications for surgery were typical including a large amount of overhanging abdominal skin and fat (hangs down to mid-thigh level) that was associated with underlying chronic skin infections, history of panniculitis, and the presence of a hernia.
So it seems some somehow manage to survive a whole host of illnesses long enough to bond with their platforms. Rather awesomely, in that article they have a picture of two orderlies or doctors holding an excised pannus, which is about a fifth the size of them and probably the same in weight. I can't imagine the relief the person that thing was excised from must be feeling literally having 15kgs taken off their chest! I always wondered if it was feasible to cut off these long rolls of fat, and seems it is possible - altogether the only silver lining for those who have reached the point of incapability
You can cut 'em off, but even if you did cut all of it away, you've not fixed the bigger problem. That part is cutaneous fat, it's relatively not that bad in the grand scheme of things - at least until it gets bad enough to get the skin infections and the like you mentioned - but there's still visceral fat, which cannot be excised, which is the part that's actually going to kill you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16301 on: June 06, 2016, 11:28:10 pm »

Spiders decided to come down and violate the covenant of the room.* There's now at least one dead spider, but tonight I sleep in the guest room, because fuck shit damn hell goddamn spiders crawling on me and now I nope the fuck out and come back with violations of the Geneva convention.

*The pact was thus: You don't touch me, I won't purge your existence through brute kinetic force and chemical annihilation. Tomorrow things become biblical for the formerly unobtrusive arachnids.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16302 on: June 06, 2016, 11:29:21 pm »

It's like spiders don't even have a concept of honorable pact making.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #16303 on: June 06, 2016, 11:31:32 pm »

I know, right? Like any good comparatively deific force, mortal punishment for not being all knowing and prescient is the only possible response.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16304 on: June 07, 2016, 01:29:04 am »

All hail FRMPL.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 ... 1420