Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1965103 times)

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15015 on: November 29, 2015, 07:59:30 am »

In a similar vein, at some point in my childhood, a person, presumably not a very literature-conscious one, decided to get a cheerful animated film to watch with me. As luck would have it, they believed that something called "Animal Farm" must be fairly child-friendly. Given that children's stories were not Mister Orwell's area of expertise, I feel they were operating under a misconception. Not a great film to watch at age ten.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: November 29, 2015, 09:02:41 am »

Huh. I guess it's kinda sad that all my dinosaur knowledge was replaced with anime and vidja games.
You have discovered the legendary Draconomicon.  Roll for SAN loss.
(Not to resist, but how much extra you take.  Exploding dice.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: November 29, 2015, 12:50:40 pm »

In a similar vein, at some point in my childhood, a person, presumably not a very literature-conscious one, decided to get a cheerful animated film to watch with me. As luck would have it, they believed that something called "Animal Farm" must be fairly child-friendly. Given that children's stories were not Mister Orwell's area of expertise, I feel they were operating under a misconception. Not a great film to watch at age ten.
Huh. I remember watching an "Animal Farm" film at a younger age as well, only my version wasn't animated. Still spooked by it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: November 29, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »

I regard those as stegosaur common knowledge. It terrifies me that you didn't known those. What's the world coming to? People used to love dinosaurs  :'(

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15019 on: November 29, 2015, 02:14:38 pm »

I heard there was some Oxbridge interviewee questions where they asked you what your favourite dino was and if you answered with a basic bitch dinosaur like the T-Rex you were ruled out

Imagine you were going to be some next level uberscientist who could've cured death itself if you'd gotten elite education at an elite uni, had you only known the wonder of the plesiosaur

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: November 29, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »

I regard those as stegosaur common knowledge. It terrifies me that you didn't known those. What's the world coming to? People used to love dinosaurs  :'(
That was what made it so aggravating; I did know all those facts.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: November 29, 2015, 02:43:29 pm »

I heard there was some Oxbridge interviewee questions where they asked you what your favourite dino was and if you answered with a basic bitch dinosaur like the T-Rex you were ruled out

Imagine you were going to be some next level uberscientist who could've cured death itself if you'd gotten elite education at an elite uni, had you only known the wonder of the plesiosaur

Pfffff. Who needs cure from person, who does not know ankilosaur.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: November 29, 2015, 02:44:26 pm »

My favorite dinosaur is the Thesaurus.

I'm fairly sure that was Orwell's brand of humour.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: November 29, 2015, 11:24:17 pm »

Could have been worse, it could have been Watership Down. I heard that that was supposed to be pretty traumatizing. Can't really speak for myself, 'cause kid-me loved reading about the rabbits killing, dying, and politicking. Metal as fuck by primary school standards.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: November 29, 2015, 11:34:13 pm »

I know I wasn't in high-school yet when I saw it.  I don't think I was even 10.  What the actual fuck.  I had claustrophobic nightmares for years.

And in general I *love* enclosed, underground spaces.  That movie almost ruined my dorf proclivities.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15025 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:54 pm »

Pfffff. Who needs cure from person, who does not know ankilosaur.

You're god damn right
Everyone focuses on the mace tail and ignores that the tail itself is series of interconnecting razorblades

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: November 29, 2015, 11:47:48 pm »

I read the book of watership down, not sure when. Personally, I enjoyed it without finding it overly horrifying, though I imagine a movie of the same would have the potential to be deeply frightening.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: November 30, 2015, 12:16:34 am »

I read the book of watership down, not sure when. Personally, I enjoyed it without finding it overly horrifying, though I imagine a movie of the same would have the potential to be deeply frightening.

I read it a few years ago, also enjoyed it, but of course I wasn't a grade schooler. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: November 30, 2015, 01:36:42 am »

Indeed. It really isn't a children's story, which might come as a shock to those used to Redwall and the like.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: November 30, 2015, 09:06:12 pm »

I watched The Hills Have Eyes when I was 8. Barely slept for days.
Valuable lesson IMO.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 1420