Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964987 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14625 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:52 am »

Really the big problem with hydrogen powered engines is energy density. Gasoline and diesel are about 5 and 6 times more energy dense, respectively, which means that either you need to carry more weight, or your 300 mile distance limit per fill up just got cut down to 60 miles. And for short in-city distances you really don't need hydrogen either, because just a straight electric car will get you wherever you want to go.

I mean we're starting to get more hydrogen cars, but really the big reason is that the US is set up (geographically) so that you tend to either be driving extremely far distances (and thus need the extra energy density of gasoline) or you are driving extremely short ones (and thus an electric car would do the trick). We don't have too much of a demand for middle distance travel, since you're generally either sticking within the shorter electric range or making that long jump betwixt cities.

Additionally the whole "hybrid" thing jumped in first for what little middle range travel we do, which limits usage of hydrogen even further. (Plus the simple engineering problems of simply having a tank that can hold hydrogen at the pressures required; we have to use things like carbon fiber because things like steel will start leaking through the steel itself or explode long before we reach the required pressure levels.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #14626 on: October 26, 2015, 11:51:31 am »

I would honestly save up and buy a Tesla if it was feasible where I live.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14627 on: October 26, 2015, 10:30:56 pm »

(Plus the simple engineering problems of simply having a tank that can hold hydrogen at the pressures required; we have to use things like carbon fiber because things like steel will start leaking through the steel itself or explode long before we reach the required pressure levels.
Maybe a simpler solution would be to store the hydrogen in water form, and electrolyse it from a battery/capacitor bank on the fly. Then you just need to stop off at a power and water station every so often and avoid any potential pressure issues.

Wait, that's not simple?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14628 on: October 26, 2015, 11:00:32 pm »

You might as well just run off the power at that point, it'd be more efficient.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14629 on: October 27, 2015, 01:03:10 am »

You might as well just run off the power at that point, it'd be more efficient.
Yeah, essentially what you're saying at that point is "why don't we put solar panels on top of our cars and then use the electricity to power them?" :P

The only real advantage of hydrogen vs straight electric is the exact same thing as diesel/gas vs hydrogen; hydrogen has an energy density that is several times higher than that of straight batteries, so you can go farther between fillups at the cost of a small efficiency hit.

There's also the problem that it takes some pretty large equipment to compress hydrogen to the point where it's actually useful (we're talking over 10,000 psi, ~690 atm). Last I checked the most modern equipment required to compress something like that was fairly heavy and occupied a space about as large as a single one of those large air conditioning units you find outside of buildings or on the roof, and it was one of those "slowly split water and then compress it over the course of the day to give you a fillup each morning" type of thing more than a "compress large amounts on demand as we go" one. Still certainly something you could mount in your garage (or possibly on like a large truck/camper), but not really something you'd mount on a sportscar.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14630 on: October 27, 2015, 03:53:05 am »

That was supposed to be a joke.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #14631 on: October 27, 2015, 03:56:26 am »

Why not put a miniature oil refinery in our cars and fuel up with crude oil? :P
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14632 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:44 am »

Why not build all of our roads like hotwheels tracks with car ski lifts leading to the starting points? No fuel needed at all for that!

Good luck getting insurance, though.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14633 on: October 27, 2015, 04:29:24 am »

Brits, Canadians, Germans, Chinese and Brazilians have hydrogen buses, I suspect better technology will one day make hydrogen fuel cells more readily available for the public

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14634 on: October 27, 2015, 06:27:18 am »

Why not build all of our roads like hotwheels tracks with car ski lifts leading to the starting points? No fuel needed at all for that!

Good luck getting insurance, though.

We won't need insurance. Since when has anyone ever been injured in a hotwheels crash?
Love, scriver~

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14635 on: October 27, 2015, 09:23:40 am »

Brits, Canadians, Germans, Chinese and Brazilians have hydrogen buses, I suspect better technology will one day make hydrogen fuel cells more readily available for the public

Did you ever think about attaching masts with sails to your car?
- Ecological? - 300 % ecological
- Style points? - You push them to the limit
- Good for pirate cosplay? - Yarr matey
- Laws about taxing car ownage usually check for power of engine, so you just broke free from some taxes.May be you can also legally avoid some more laws with your car getting land ship status, like you can own telescopic baton here, if you have documents stating, that your telescopic baton is not a weapon, but a device for catching fish.
- Also you can call yourself captain, captain Loud Whispers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14636 on: October 27, 2015, 10:07:43 am »

Have you ever thought of using a horse and buggy? Super classy.

You could also, like, totally jog those 30 miles to work every day. You're more efficient than the horses anyway, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14637 on: October 27, 2015, 10:49:17 am »

That was supposed to be a joke.
Dammnit Orange Wizard! Quit writing jokes that people take for you being serious! :P

You could also, like, totally jog those 30 miles to work every day. You're more efficient than the horses anyway, right?
Funnily enough in terms of energy consumed per mile traveled I think the horse beats you. #HorsesBetterThanPeople :P

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14638 on: October 27, 2015, 10:57:19 am »

Have you ever thought of using a horse and buggy? Super classy.

But then we'd have horse shit everywhere
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14639 on: October 27, 2015, 10:57:31 am »

Then again, horses have pretty much evolved to be good at running and little else, so :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 974 975 [976] 977 978 ... 1420