Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1976337 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #13335 on: June 10, 2015, 12:58:01 pm »

I'm more pissed off at corporations trying to be a government that don't have the balls to name themselves a government. When you have an army, provide healthcare and money to your employees, have diversified your business to the point where it is self-sustaining and growing, slap a flag on your company and name yourself Burger Kingtm instead of pussyfooting around, trying to take over everyone else's nations dishonestly.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: June 10, 2015, 02:05:01 pm »

I missed my first week of work on account of a collapsed lung. Now I've been back to work for a single day and I have similar pains in my chest again. At least the tube hole in my chest from last time hasn't healed yet, I guess.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: June 10, 2015, 02:36:19 pm »

How'd that happen?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: June 10, 2015, 02:47:57 pm »

Apparently it's something that can happen spontaneously in tall, thin people. Given that the only other causes they told me about were smoking and a strike to the chest, I'm forced to think that it was a spontaneous one. That doesn't do much for my peace of mind though.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: June 10, 2015, 02:49:09 pm »

Well, that's scary.

Time to binge eat.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13340 on: June 10, 2015, 02:51:47 pm »

* Arx starts shoving down sugars.

I don't want to get a collapsed lung! D:

Being tall is actually an almost all-around lose, when you think about it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13341 on: June 10, 2015, 03:05:51 pm »

Wrong!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: June 10, 2015, 03:09:28 pm »

* Arx starts shoving down sugars.

I don't want to get a collapsed lung! D:

From a Darwinian approach, it's good.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: June 10, 2015, 03:29:26 pm »

...well, I'm not really sure which thread this belongs in, but.

I had an appointment to get an endoscopy done this morning (routine stuff, just to make sure there's nothing wrong with my stomach). They had some cancellations, so they called me in early... but I ended up actually going in at the time that I was originally supposed to, which meant 2 and a half hours in the waiting room with nothing in my stomach and some very loud kids on the other side of the room.

Cue massive panic attack and complete mental breakdown.

Sigh.
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13344 on: June 10, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »

Apparently it's something that can happen spontaneously in tall, thin people. Given that the only other causes they told me about were smoking and a strike to the chest, I'm forced to think that it was a spontaneous one. That doesn't do much for my peace of mind though.
What you're describing is called pneumothorax, and happens when the sac in which your lungs are, which is normally at negative pressure... well, stops being so - so it no longer pulls the actual lung outwards and that lung collapses.

The most obvious way it can happen is if the sac is pierced through a bullet or something - because your lung nor your body is kept depressurized, for obvious reasons. It can in fact happen spontaneously, for poorly understood reasons, and does in fact happen more often to tall males (possibly thin, too, but tall and male are more important) but also literally anyone else - the actual reason is that some weird lung abnormalities form and rupture, and for purely mechanical reasons, it happens easier in tall males.

There's actually a ton of other possibilities - infectious diseases, genetic diseases (including Marfan syndrome, which is interesting insofar as it's a connective tissue - AKA the thing the sac's made of - disorder that also happens to make people tall and Thin Man-y, so there might be a link too, I suppose), all kinds of stuff.

That's actually the terrifying thing here. We are squishy. Squishy as fuck.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: June 10, 2015, 04:44:06 pm »

Ah. I kept thinking the doctors were saying 'neurothorax' for some reason and wondering what my nerves had to do with it. I'm scheduled for a follow-up X-ray in a couple of days in any case, so hopefully it's just something unrelated or me jumping to conclusions.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:46 pm »

I forgot just how out of tone and disturbing the might and magic 8 game over was. I was reminded of it today.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: June 10, 2015, 10:00:44 pm »

Had a nightmare last night.
It managed to touch on a whole bunch of my recent worries/hangups- such as the scheduling conflicts I forsee happening this week, my sociaj anxiety, my fear of gaining weight- all in rather abstract ways. It was actually quite impressive. The dream was even broken up into three parts, with me "waking up" twice, and it was hard to tell where each dream began and ended which just added to the confusion/terror. Hell, my subconscious even broke the fourth wall by having a couple of scenes where attempted to tell uninterested people about my dreams.

That was... certainly interesting. It's strange how trying to fix my sleep schedule tends to cause nightmares.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: June 11, 2015, 02:34:37 pm »

I'm pretty sure corporations already sue governments to bully them. Though I think it's less of a legally permitted thing and more "we're going to tie you up with so much frivolous bullshit that you'll go bankrupt from legal fees" so it mainly only works on poorer governments. It's prevented lots of tobacco regulations from getting passed in third world countries though!

I recall an example where Australia passed plain packaging laws so that cigarettes could not be marketed by their brand, only by their nicotine content, and also with rather graphic images of smoking complications. We got sued by Phillip Morris, and the company spent insane amounts. I believe we won that case, but it prompted a rather tiny African country to attempt the same plain packaging laws - Togo, i think? Phillip Morris threatened to sue them, and they backed the fuck down because Togo is very, very very poor.

TPP or no TPP, it's still pretty shitty of Phillip Morris.

In my Reudh news, my last exam is today... at 8:30am on the other side of the town. Argh.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #13349 on: June 11, 2015, 02:44:07 pm »

My third-last exam for this set is tomorrow, and I'm really not properly prepared. Oh well.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 1420