Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1963942 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12480 on: April 06, 2015, 10:50:05 pm »

The only actual number I've ever seen for piracy have been published/funded by like, Hollywood or the games industry, who have a vested interest in making it seem like it's killing the industry. Bias.
The same could be said for a bunch of poor college students having a vested interest in the opposite. :P

I mean, really, free stuffs is nice and all, but have you seen honorwares that aren't bankrupt?
* Descan points at Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: April 07, 2015, 05:15:06 am »

Toady One isn't a corporation though.
I meant a game corporation that only sell honorwares.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12482 on: April 07, 2015, 06:10:45 am »

I think the point is that the honourware system encourages quality over quantity, marketing shenanigans, and craploads of expensive DLC.
The downside is that bigger games become absurdly difficult to make - you need the support of thousands (if not millions) of people to earn enough money to support that level of development, and that's for paid releases.
Personally, I think that the industry overall would benefit from the move from flat prices to pay-what-you-want, but it would also require a humongous cultural change among gamers. That is, understanding the importance of supporting developers who make games that you like... which would take a lot to happen.
And of course, nuking Ubisoft and Activision and all those other terrible publishers with the force of a million spiteful customers could only bring good in to the world.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12483 on: April 07, 2015, 06:14:47 am »

I wonder what it would be like to have a non-Capitalist society where everybody pay what they want for everything.

I mean, with current people in our society as-is that system will collapse immediately, but let's assume we somehow had a cultural change.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: April 07, 2015, 06:18:29 am »

You'll have to specify what that cultural change would look like, or there are endless possibilities.

Also money would no longer serve any purpose in such a society, so you could just eliminate the paying altogether. This might look sweet at first, but money serves as a feedback mechanism for adjusting production to demand - I'd predict some fairly big inefficiencies, especially once that society moves past the simpler levels of technology on to products with long and complicated production chains.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12485 on: April 07, 2015, 06:23:22 am »

If the cultural change is as simple as everyone suddenly becoming honest and generous, then we might as well scrap money altogether and go for full-on anarchic communist utopia.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:20 am »

Yeah. I can't see the game industry, or any industry really, being operated like charities.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: April 07, 2015, 07:02:20 am »

Yeah, everyone being honest would mean that the anarchy would work, and anarchy working means there's no high tier products.
Games are Very high tier...
Communism would be awesome if everyone was honest. Capitalism too, but communist can make the most out of it.
Anyway, I just watched CPG Grey video "Humans Need Not Apply",and I got happy in that a system with higher tech work better with communism, automation makes capitalism start breaking down as huge chunks of population get unemployed and everyone goes bankrupt.
And now I'm terrified of the necessary "everyone goes bankrupt" phase of this change, since I would hate to be part of it.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: April 07, 2015, 08:39:10 am »

That's the same prediction Marx himself made. It didn't come true then, it won't come true now - the economy just doesn't work like that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: April 07, 2015, 09:02:26 am »

I haven't had a proper nightmare in a while, but last night was rough. The early details are kinda fuzzy but it ended with being lynched by a crowd of very angry people, all of whom were visibly maimed and/or suffering from severe necrosis. They were all wearing modern style clothing, but the colors and patterns changed around when they were in my peripheral vision. For some reason this bothered me almost as much as the disfigurement and rage. It was all very vivid and rather disturbing, so hopefully it doesn't happen again.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: April 07, 2015, 10:06:14 pm »

As some of you may know, I'm absolutely, completely, 100% terrified of bees, wasps, etc., above and beyond the standard.
The house we're living in also has had several wasp nests in it, though none currently alive (To our knowledge)

Tonight, as I was taking a shower, I heard a distinct buzzing sound from behind the light (It's one of those strips of lightbulbs with a glass cover over it), and the silhouette of a wasp. I was basically cowering in the corner of the shower before the damn thing found its way out and revealed itself to be...A mayfly.

-.-
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: April 08, 2015, 02:50:28 am »

As some of you may know, I'm absolutely, completely, 100% terrified of bees, wasps, etc., above and beyond the standard.
The house we're living in also has had several wasp nests in it, though none currently alive (To our knowledge)

Tonight, as I was taking a shower, I heard a distinct buzzing sound from behind the light (It's one of those strips of lightbulbs with a glass cover over it), and the silhouette of a wasp. I was basically cowering in the corner of the shower before the damn thing found its way out and revealed itself to be...A mayfly.

-.-

Here in Victoria, in the south of Australia, we are experiencing a population explosion of European Wasps. Stings are way up - while cycling, i had one bounce off my cheek, and later that week when catching the train I opened my newspaper to find a wasp reading it with me.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: April 08, 2015, 02:40:54 pm »

I once went walking in the woods near my cousin's house.
I stepped on a log. Little did I know, it housed a nest of Wasps.

the woods rang with my screams
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12493 on: April 08, 2015, 02:51:29 pm »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:30:31 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: April 08, 2015, 02:53:31 pm »

I once went walking in the woods near my cousin's house.
I stepped on a log. Little did I know, it housed a nest of Wasps.

the woods rang with my screams
Note to self: bring mirrors when walking in the forest.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1420