Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding pregnancy and birth rates?  (Read 2286 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding pregnancy and birth rates?
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:12:46 pm »

Possible?
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Modding pregnancy and birth rates?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:05 pm »

No.  You can change litter size, and how long the baby and child stages take, but the time between births is fixed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:20:40 pm »

Not so sure about the pregnancy part, but birth rates can be tweaked. Removing the multiple litter rare tag and adding the littersize tag will increase the number of kids. Lowering the child age to 1 and getting rid of the baby tag can get your kids to adults faster and thus eligible for marriage a lot faster and eventually making more babies.

And Ninja'd

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:21:28 pm »

Thanks! I used that to look at the wiki list of creature tokens again, and LITTERSIZE is a great tag. Large litters should be able to make up for slow pregnancy rates.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 08:30:23 pm »

Oh dang, they have to be married. Hmm. That's an excellent point.

I was hoping to mod my mushroom fortress' breeder caste to give birth to mushrooms at a prodigious rate and just make all the other castes male to simulate an asexual reproductive method, but I forgot about the whole marriage thing.

Ha, just thought of a workaround. Make the females large and ungainly and slow, and make the males haulers/carpenters. Specialize the birthed castes. Some birthed castes would turn into items upon death that the hauler males could place wherever necessary/turn into furniture. For example, a 'fibrous mushroom' that turns into a rope upon death that could be used to chain unintelligent defense mushrooms at choke points.

This is going to be a lot of work. Fun. Whatever!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:52:29 am »

unintelligent defense mushrooms
Hah. I will be sure to refer to regular mushrooms this way from now on.

So you're looking to build a fortress entirely out of sentient mushrooms?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 05:58:21 am »

I think if you take things like the [intelligent] or [can_learn] or [can_speak] tags out of the creature raw, and put them into specific castes only, then you can create breeding castes that are non-intelligent (don't have any of those tags), and those don't need to be married.

I was playing about with a thing, seeing how multiple breeding castes would work, and had 1 intelligent male creature, 1 intelligent female creature, and 2 un-intelligent females, and the un-intelligent ones were able to have children.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:05:20 am »

I was playing about with a thing, seeing how multiple breeding castes would work, and had 1 intelligent male creature, 1 intelligent female creature, and 2 un-intelligent females, and the un-intelligent ones were able to have children.
That's interesting. So we can chain up a bunches of morons, let them breed like bunnies then raise the kids if they are, by any chance, smart?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:29 am »

I think so, but you might have to watch out with things like food/drink. intelligent child of un-intelligent parent may run risk of starving/dehydrating. Not sure on that, as it might have been as they were a pet race, rather than the main one, needs more looking at.

If you are so inclined, you would also be able to set un-intelligent castes as milkable. And they can also be butchered without any problem.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:22:13 am »

Not sure on that, as it might have been as they were a pet race, rather than the main one, needs more looking at.
No_food no_drink should work on individual castes I hope? Then I can just chain them...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 08:50:02 am »

Not sure on that, as it might have been as they were a pet race, rather than the main one, needs more looking at.
No_food no_drink should work on individual castes I hope? Then I can just chain them...

The beast castes don't need food or drink, just like any other creature, like cows. No problem in chaining them up.

The problem I found was with the intelligent ones that do need food/drink. Intelligent offspring born to beast mothers may not be able to obtain food/drink. You can get around that by making them no_drink/no_eat, but then that would make the adults like that as well. Might have been because these things had a baby as well as child stage, so could try removing that, and then the children should then be able to get food/drink.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 03:02:22 am »

Yeah, the baby stage is the only one that needs the mother to feed it. Grow straight to child and you can fend for yourself from day one.
くコ:彡

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 11:04:11 am »

On a related note, is there anything stopping a creature retaining the baby stage, and then skipping childhood and going straight into adulthood? Something along the lines of ant larvae, or spiderlings.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 11:07:43 am »

CHILD always defaults to 1, so you'll always have at least one year in the child stage regardless of whether the associated tokens are present or not.