Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: "Just Shoot Him!"  (Read 7541 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: "Just Shoot Him!"
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2010, 12:56:01 am »

Well, I guess Nikov has successfully derailed the thread about comic books into something about geopolitical wankery, gun politics, and tanks. I probably should not be surprised.

You were the wind beneath my wings.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2010, 12:58:47 am »

I'm not kidding, you seem to do this pretty much constantly, and it's more than a bit of an inconvenience.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2010, 01:14:33 am »

it's more than a bit of an inconvenience.

It is so much more it has become an attraction upon itself.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2010, 01:18:48 am »

The AA tanks I posted are Korean.
And look behind the lighter tank.
That one shoots rockets.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2010, 01:36:53 am »

The most terrifying thing about that picture?

The implication is horrifying.

Also I do not understand why they coated anything above the knees in Zimmerit, nor why there would be a shovel on the top deck. I mean, on the leg I can understand. But when you realize you need to dig something, you're usually at the bottom of the vehicle.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2010, 01:38:47 am »

The AA tanks I posted are Korean.
And look behind the lighter tank.
That one shoots rockets.

Anti-air rockets.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2010, 01:39:18 am »

lso I do not understand why they coated anything above the knees in Zimmerit, nor why there would be a shovel on the top deck. I mean, on the leg I can understand. But when you realize you need to dig something, you're usually at the bottom of the vehicle.
Its a mother fucking Mecha.

Logic is off crying in some dark abandoned corner.
Anti-air rockets.
Rockets so bad ass they are sent to fight the very air itself.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:24 am »

Yeah, the one in JL was pretty badass, what with all the Norsey looks and all.And as far as heroes falling from grace goes i think Rorschak(i have a feeling i misspelled it) is one of if not the best portrayal of such a hero who was pushed over the edge

Rorschach. Or so my spellchecker tells me. :) And yeah, he's a great example. He was messed up before he became a costumed vigilante, and soon went completely batshit insane from having to deal with all the people he was hunting down. And when freelance crime fighting was made illegal, he responded with a note attached to a dead serial rapist left outside the police station. And he refers to his weird mask as his "face" and speaks in creepy monotone and looks like a crazy hobo. And his method of fighting crime is walking into a seedy bar and injuring strangers until someone gives him information relevant to what he's looking for.

EDIT: Oh, and Nikov, since we broached the exciting topic of semantics, I'd say that any device that uses a rocket engine for propulsion, ranging from fireworks to a Saturn V, could be called a "rocket".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:59:10 am by Soadreqm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2010, 05:36:57 am »

Rorschach

The first time I saw him I thought he was the question or some alternate name for the question.

As I found out I actually wasn't very far off from from the truth as he is an intentional proxy.

Anyhow Rorschach is meant to reflect society anyhow (Dang it people the mask!) so did he really change? or did society, or rather the situation, change? Though attempting to apply theme to Rorschach is pointless anyhow as he is also supposed to be meaningless.

He didn't seem so unwilling to just kill someone before, just that the situation called differently.

I mean afterall Punisher the most gunhappy murderous Marvel Hero of them all, takes nonlethal shells whenever he travels to someone else's comics unless he is there to kill the hero (where he usually fails). Punisher, depending on the writer, is even willing to kill civilians to ultimately kill the badguy (not the best version of Punisher IMO) but kill someone infront of another hero? Nooo way.

There is just something about other heros that drains the killing potential out of even the most murderous heros.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2010, 06:13:45 am »

There was an alt universe where Batman started killing off supervillains (and, then, later, mob bosses etc).

Gotham City was clear of crime within a few months, the rest of the world in a few years.

I don't think there were shown to be any negatives, either. :|

A negative would be that soon the comics would be about Batman doing the washing up and hanging around being pretty bored. Batman needs Joker just as much as the Joker needs Batman. Which is why the death of Heath Ledger was more than just a personal tragedy.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:16 am »

There was an alt universe where Batman started killing off supervillains (and, then, later, mob bosses etc).

Gotham City was clear of crime within a few months, the rest of the world in a few years.

I don't think there were shown to be any negatives, either. :|

A negative would be that soon the comics would be about Batman doing the washing up and hanging around being pretty bored. Batman needs Joker just as much as the Joker needs Batman. Which is why the death of Heath Ledger was more than just a personal tragedy.

Also I am sure that the later comics shown that that world wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Namely Batman, and the JLA, taking over the world.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2010, 06:32:51 am »

I think that some comics portray this better than others, but the hero has to be the flawless knight in shining armor. when punishment is death, then being flawed is not an option. and the wannabe killing hero indeed is guilty of murder.

I think comics just jumpstarted to where the narrative was, skipping all the part of 'what would it be to live like X', X being benign fascism, authoritarian or totalitarian dictatorships and so on. in this case, what would it be if killing a villain cold on the spot was not illegal?

even in judge dredd capital punishment is not so common, violence and deaths arising mostly by resisting arrest than proper on the spot executions.

it's like they jumpstarted the conclusion of having the hero flawless without exploring the frontier of that and missing the depth of characters that comes from having had that experience.

like if picasso started directly with cubism without being an impressionist first and realist/symbolist then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2010, 06:40:46 am »

Well here is something.

Why are we judging the hero so harshly? Surely the Justice system should be held accountable for not executing these criminals. While some simply cannot be killed they are few.

Worse yet the people who write Batman don't exactly understand how insanity and the law work. You don't get off crime or the death sentence because your insane. Then again I can't blame them most people don't know how the law works either (Have you seen that movie Double Jeapordy? Guess what, she would have got arrested for murder).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2010, 09:06:42 am »

Read the "Red Son" Superman comic. The premise is that the Kryptonian craft came down in a collective farm outside (I think) St. Petersburg, and Superman was raised as a Soviet hero and suceeds Stalin.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2010, 11:31:43 am »

This is where I rage post that rockets are unguided while missiles are guided, and nobody has used anti-air rockets since WWII.
Isn't missile technically a synonym for projectile? Cause I've seen tons of games refer to archers as missile troops.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9