Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: "Just Shoot Him!"  (Read 7554 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: "Just Shoot Him!"
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:12 am »

You're not Genre Savvy enough, if you leave the bad guy alive he's just going to come back and hit your hard emotionally somehow. That or on rare occasions do a HFT.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 02:27:11 am »

Movie heroes are sissies. I sort of wish our RL heroes were like that too. Aside from Gandhi, all of them would kill a bad guy if given the chance. Gandhi would only shoot himself.

Yeah that is why we watch more comics about Super Heros and less about Police Officers (even super powered technologically advanced police officers)

The idea that there is someone out there who would even put their selves at risk to stop a villain while never bowing to their own villainy is an exciting concept even if it leads to further problems. Justice is hard.

Though another reason they don't kill off villains, as they found out in Batman, is simply that villains are interesting and you have to give a little slack to create repeat villains. Joker was, apperantly, killed his first appearance.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:50 am »

Two-face was 'cured' in his first apperance, mentally and physically. But repeat villians are tons of fun even if being repeat villians doesn't make sense, especially Joker.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:46 am »

The idea that there is someone out there who would even put their selves at risk to stop a villain while never bowing to their own villainy is an exciting concept even if it leads to further problems. Justice is hard.

That's the theory.  Gritty, hard nosed moral quagmire with the heroes heart between a rock and a hard place.  But most fiction doesn't live up to that theory.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:58 am »

Heroes can't kill because the heroic ideal is being able to save everybody, even the villain. The Warehouse 13 example was particularly bad though, because bronzing is made out to be a fate worse than death.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 02:54:08 am »

*points to the end of Fable II*

Personally I just let Reaver shoot him for me. It always cracks me up.

"I'm sorry, you wanted to kill him?"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 02:55:40 am »

Yeah that is why we watch more comics about Super Heros and less about Police Officers (even super powered technologically advanced police officers)

Though another reason they don't kill off villains, as they found out in Batman, is simply that villains are interesting and you have to give a little slack to create repeat villains. Joker was, apperantly, killed his first appearance.

See, I wouldn't mind if, like, all the villains escaped every time instead of being dragged off to prison or whatever.

But it's things like Joker being put in Arkham Asylum just so he can wreak havok another day. It just results in another lot of deaths (sometimes going into the thousands per escape) due to Batman being a sissy. If you're a superhero fighting supervillains, you can't allow yourself to have a conscience.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 02:59:44 am »

But it's things like Joker being put in Arkham Asylum just so he can wreak havok another day. It just results in another lot of deaths (sometimes going into the thousands per escape) due to Batman being a sissy. If you're a superhero fighting supervillains, you can't allow yourself to have a conscience.

OK no. Batman is one of the few heroic characters who bothers to stop and give the killing option some thought. Several times, in the case of the Joker, I think. But Batman knows that if he kills the Joker, he opens the door to lethal force, and pretty soon he's shooting rocket launchers at jaywalkers and no less a monster than the Joker.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 03:00:54 am »

See, I wouldn't mind if, like, all the villains escaped every time instead of being dragged off to prison or whatever.

Yeah, but then you end up a soulless immortal draining away people lives and killing your hometown and randomly sniping scientists in the street.

tl;dr : Don't do that or you'll become Glenn Beck.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 03:05:20 am »

OK no. Batman is one of the few heroic characters who bothers to stop and give the killing option some thought. Several times, in the case of the Joker, I think. But Batman knows that if he kills the Joker, he opens the door to lethal force, and pretty soon he's shooting rocket launchers at jaywalkers and no less a monster than the Joker.
With most Authers who write for Batman when Batty has to make a choice weither or not to kill someone, usually the Joker, it's actuilly more of a pride reason that he doesn't do it. IF he kills someone, even if it's the Joker, the Joker wins.
Because I can"-WolfTengu

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 03:05:40 am »

They would shoot the main villain in the head within the first 10 minutes.

You then spend the next hour and a half in the theater watching them do fuck all.

Do you really want that?

Then writers need to pull their heads out of their asses and come up with better sources of conflict that aren't so easily resolved, or at least write well enough that being ten feet away from the guy and shooting him isn't an option.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 03:15:04 am »

Malcom Reynolds shoots to kill when the chips are down and someone should be shot.  Somehow the writers were able to come up with 13 episodes and a movie plot that all lasted more then ten minutes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 03:15:59 am »

There was an alt universe where Batman started killing off supervillains (and, then, later, mob bosses etc).

Gotham City was clear of crime within a few months, the rest of the world in a few years.

I don't think there were shown to be any negatives, either. :|

Malcom Reynolds shoots to kill when the chips are down and someone should be shot.  Somehow the writers were able to come up with 13 episodes and a movie plot that all lasted more then ten minutes.

Thanks for making me miss Firefly, you dick. :p

(But, seriously, I am watching Warehouse 13 and it has Kaylee and Simon Tam in. They are too good actors to be on this show. </3)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:17:42 am by The Transcendent Tyrant »
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 03:19:13 am »

Yes, but that's Joss Whedon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »

I guess the idea is that the main character's mind would gradually disintegrate into a self justifying, god-complexed mess.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9