Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: "Just Shoot Him!"  (Read 6862 times)

"Just Shoot Him!"
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:29:21 pm »

So, I've been watching Warehouse 13.

I just finished Season 1 and I'm struck dumb by the utter stupidity of the characters.

There is a major villain who knows the inner workings of the Warehouse, is shown to be a genius on levels equal to Moriarty, has caused the deaths of a LOT of people and...

They don't shoot him. They have him in their custody and are willing to ENCASE HIM IN BRONZE FOR ALL TIME instead of just putting a bullet in his brain. Of course...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does this really piss off anyone else?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: "Just Shoot Him!"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:30:48 pm »

Some people just don't wan't to put a bullet into another's head.

Stupid I know.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:38:00 pm »

Some people just don't wan't to put a bullet into another's head.

Stupid I know.

So, instead, store them in cast bronze from which they can escape from with the touch of a button?

Oh, and they are still aware of what's going on the entire time?

Personally, I'd prefer a firing squad.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »

It's becouse people tend to throw hissy-fits if the hero shoots someone, especially if the other person doesn't shoot first, no matter what's happened before that particular scene.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:43:30 pm »

Because people don't like it when other people kill each other in cold blood.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 07:43:59 pm »

Now I admit, I only watched part of a couple of episodes, but I was under the impressions that Warehouse 13 isn't exactly the kind of series to expect amazing philosophical quandaries, complex characters, and gritty realism. Do you think you're just expecting too much of the series?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:45:57 pm »

It's a trope that never dies.  Perhaps the writers just can't bring themselves to kill it...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:47:21 pm »

Dammit, I hate it when this stuff happens. I wonder what would happen if we had a movie with only sensible characters for a change.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 07:49:22 pm »

They would shoot the main villain in the head within the first 10 minutes.

You then spend the next hour and a half in the theater watching them do fuck all.

Do you really want that?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 07:51:50 pm »

If they killed him, how would he escape?

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:52:51 pm »

I would rather see a film with completely Genre Blind heros vs. a Dangerously Genre Savvy villian. Just to watch the heros get their asses utterly kicked.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 12:12:18 am »

That movie would seem good on paper but depressing in reality.

I think your problem started when you turned your television to the Scifi (I refuse to use their spelling) channel.  Who ever runs that channel are all cock ups of the first order.  It's a really simple formula, give nerds science fiction, profit.  But they are pretentious or something and try to act like they aren't a scifi channel.  I'll watch that channel when they are doing reruns of a well established series.  But I don't trust them further then I can spit left to their own devices.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:39:49 am »

Movie heroes are sissies. I sort of wish our RL heroes were like that too. Aside from Gandhi, all of them would kill a bad guy if given the chance. Gandhi would only shoot himself.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:42:23 am »

Because I know I want a trigger happy mad man patrolling the streets, keeping all the law abiding citizen safe.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 12:45:31 am »

In a case of if I were a main character: I'm a pacifist when it comes to killing but that won't determine just how close to death I will beat my opponent to. I won't kill them, I'll let what's left of them (body, mind, and soul) make that decision themselves. If they lose the will to live, it was their choice, but if they live, they better have improved themselves either to be more fun the next time, or to be better people.

I spare my opponents in order to let them live their lives in shame (if particularly nasty). Pride is a hurtful weapon when used correctly. They ever see me again, they will crap themselves silly. In any other case, killing is not my preference. BTW, it stings when you're spared from a killing blow.

Also a personal motto I got from a mod of Unreal (I think the Dark magic mod): Weapons are for the weak. I would do the most of my business like that with my bare hands, thank you very much. Disarm opponent any way possible, then pull off a cherry-tap beatdown bare-fisted, then spare them. Of course, even though I would use good ol' fisticuffs to beatdown my opponent, it wouldn't stop me from using any weapon in my arsenal/in range to disarm them first; figuratively, or literally. Real men fight with their fists, not weapons.

EDIT:
As for the bad guy returning to cause any sort of harm in return, I would make sure to not have any loose ends, or at least leave some as a series of traps in case they are a recurring type. In other words, had I someone I am close to, I would make sure they play the "damsel in distress" role by the book as they're being handled behind my back; only for it to turn out that they're well trained, and just needed the bad guy close enough; upon my return where she'd normally have disappeared, I have the villain in a near-coma again on my doorstep. I would have them (de)briefed on the whole situation just in case. Similar could be said about any possessions too. Traps. Simply enough. The best way to counter a villain is to think like a villain. They fight dirty, I'll respond dirty. Hit me with an ultimatum, I'll hit you with the ultimatum.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:05:43 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9