Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Are you sure you want to delete this" for burrows  (Read 3462 times)

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Are you sure you want to delete this" for burrows
« on: November 28, 2010, 07:16:16 pm »

I started using burrows to keep my dwarves safe, and this is the third time it's happened. I made a burrow called "Entire fortress", because I didn't want dwarves going outside, or into the caverns.

Several times when I expand the burrow, I go in and paint a little bit. I immediately go to dig, pressing ESC to back out of the burrow menu and pressing D to begin designating.

But since you have to press ESC twice to leave the burrow screen, you go back to the list of burrows. And isn't it great, D is also the hotkey to delete a burrow. Eff.

If a burrow is in use by any alerts, or just all the time, there should be a confirmation for deleting the burrow. Or just make the hotkey more difficult. Alt+D would be better, because you can't really accidentally press that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 07:24:10 pm by RadGH »

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Are you sure you want to delete this" for burrows
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:42:46 pm »

Gotta to agree but also point out that this has come up in other threads before. So next time with a common suggestion (search feature helps), might be better to post into an old one so all ideas are grouped in one and it can lead to both better discussion and something bigger for Toady to notice.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:48:20 pm »

Or just make the hotkey more difficult. Alt+D would be better, because you can't really accidentally press that.

You can do this for yourself, at least, but I agree that a change to the default binding is a good idea.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:48:05 pm »

there should be a standard un-removable burrow as well, one that automatically encompasses the entire map

also would be nice to enable and disable individual burrows (and thus disable the effects on dwarfs in that burrow)

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:33:46 pm »

Same thing happens with Notes.  I always change the default from [d] to [Alt+d] or something else I'm less likely to do by accident  But it's pretty annoying to need to do this with each release.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »

Same thing happens with Notes.  I always change the default from [d] to [Alt+d] or something else I'm less likely to do by accident  But it's pretty annoying to need to do this with each release.

I necro'd this idea because I have a really, really bad habit of doing the same thing.  I deleted it about four times and I barely ever fiddle with my burrows once they're set up.

Far too easy to trigger by accident.

I would change one thing, though.  Instead of giving us an "are you sure" prompt, please give us an *UNDO* command.  Even with a prompt, we'll probably still screw up.  But if there's an undo, it won't be a big problem to screw up.

Yeah, it's harder to implement than a mere prompt, but it's a much better UI convention.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:12:02 pm by Uristocrat »
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:21:57 pm »

Although it is changeable, I would also like to second the notion that something like "D" (capital) or "Alt-D" be the default, just because not many people want to go through the hassle of manually altering the key bindings of a dizzying number of keys every time a new version comes out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:30 am »

Although it is changeable, I would also like to second the notion that something like "D" (capital) or "Alt-D" be the default, just because not many people want to go through the hassle of manually altering the key bindings of a dizzying number of keys every time a new version comes out.

Very true.  I had to look up engrave slab just to find out that you make it alt-D by changing the lines in interface.txt like this:

[BIND:D_BURROWS_DELETE:REPEAT_NOT]
[SYM:4:d]

Given that it's a really easy, if somewhat obscure, thing, it would be a welcome change.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 06:49:30 am »

Necrothreading - this should be fixed. Changing d to alt-d now

EDIT:

[BIND:D_BURROWS_DELETE:REPEAT_NOT]
[SYM:4:d]

Is NOT working. Great.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:58:39 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 09:35:58 pm »

A really good idea.  I have deleted far too many accidentally...

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 12:42:52 am »

Is NOT working. Great.
Well, today it is working. Why today? I have no idea.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 01:14:58 am »

A really good idea.  I have deleted far too many accidentally...

Yeah, I even put the method for changing it to alt-d on the wiki after having my "entire fortress" burrow get deleted one too many times by a stray keypress :)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:35:24 am »

Glad I am not the only one.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

pruwyben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:32 pm »

Just did the exact same thing twice in a row the other day... not surprising to hear I'm not the only one. Toady, are you listening?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 02:22:12 am »

As this thread has surfaced again, I'll say that I've done the same quite a few times before. It would be sensible to have delete burrow bound to either ALT + d or SHIFT + d to prevent inadvertent deletions. Those can take quite a while to paint (plus, military orders)!

Also, thanks for the posts for the bindings, folks. That information is very welcome.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.