Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do missing livers actually affect dwarves?  (Read 1666 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do missing livers actually affect dwarves?
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:48:25 pm »

I am making a mod to play as an underground fungal race against the dwarves, and one of my current castes is a mushroom incapable of grasping but with natural biting skill and a syndrome that rots dwarven livers nearly instantly. I don't think it actually harms the dwarves though, beyond giving them a little pain. Does anyone have any experience with liver trauma in DF?

(I'm pretty pleased with this mod: I've made it so the plump helmet man caste effectively never grows up and given the dwarves the child snatcher tag, so dwarves keep trying to sneak into the fort and steal the plump helmet men.)
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do missing livers actually affect dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:49:47 pm »

Well, I'm sure it would cause some pain that could cripple them so you can go in a point them with a stick, but not sure if it will kill them if it's ONLY the kidney.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:05:10 pm »

(I'm pretty pleased with this mod: I've made it so the plump helmet man caste effectively never grows up and given the dwarves the child snatcher tag, so dwarves keep trying to sneak into the fort and steal the plump helmet men.)

That is hysterical.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:14:30 pm »

Hilarious idea, I like it.

Dwarf Fortress:
The Shrooms Strike Back

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 07:15:17 pm »

Dwarf Fortress:
The Shrooms Strike Back

*Storm trooper march*
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 07:18:02 pm »

Dwarf Fortress:
The Shrooms Strike Back

*StormShroom trooper march*

And watch out for Plump Vader.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 07:19:02 pm »

Kidnap the shroom children, you must!

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:20:19 pm »

I vote that this mod gets released to us.  Just saying.  And sadly I have no knowledge of how vital the liver truly is...maybe make it rot off the mouth as well?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

letmeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 07:45:49 pm »

Maybe alcohol will kill them slowly without a liver?

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 07:51:51 pm »

Maybe if you mod the liver to be required to breathe or think or something? It could be fatal that way. Might be a question for the modding section.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

Maybe if you mod the liver to be required to breathe or think or something? It could be fatal that way. Might be a question for the modding section.
A normal liver and a "Dwarf Liver" that functions like a lung does?
Ok, this is hilarious.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:14:31 pm »

-Dwarf looks at the camera, hiding a writhing sack of plumphelmetman children- "What?! It's FARMING!"

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 03:40:26 pm »

I'll probably do a general release, but it's going to take a while. I'm in the last couple of weeks of the semester here so I've got a lot of school work to focus on first!

Aside from that, my mod is looking more an more complicated the more I get into it. I want to actually make some interesting gameplay mechanics changes, not just a dwarf fortress where the race is mushrooms instead of dwarves. Some planned things:

-Construction resources will be gained by a special common caste of mushroom that matures and dies very quickly, turning into raw logs on death. In fact, most resources will be gained from various types of mushroom, including thread from specialized fibrous mushrooms and so on. The player may seek to dehydrate some mushrooms to death or throw them into battle as easily killed distractions in order to harvest their resources. Ethics and personalities will be adjusted to make this an acceptable state of affairs. This probably means the mushroom kingdom constructed from the remains of the dead will be entirely populated by sociopaths. Unless I figure out how to make them not care about the dead at all while still making them cheerful and gregarious! (Ethics?)

-Mushrooms will be perfectly happy eating grown mushrooms, and will also be able to eat bones (You will be able to use the remains of your enemies as sustenance). I wish I could let them eat wood and mud. The acceptance of weird mushroom cannibalism will be one of the foundations of mushroom society.

-Worker mushrooms will be unable to develop their mining skill. They will be able to dig, but slowly and without leaving any construction resources behind. (Failing in that, will make stone unmineable) They will be capable of basic crafting jobs like carpentry, weaving, and clothesmaking. Worker mushrooms will be able to get 'married' (how I wish there were a way around this) to the large ungainly genome shuffling Sporangium Mothers capable of 'giving birth' to large numbers of young of various castes at a time.

-This mod will probably incompatible with vanilla: Dwarves have been substantially modded to encourage them to be hostile to mushrooms, and dwarven military castes have already had their names changed to 'plant gatherer'. A siege of plant gatherers has arrived at the gates of the mushroom kingdom!

-There will be several castes of defense mushrooms, including weak 'observer' mushrooms that flee from fighting and 'biting mushrooms' that rot dwarven livers and cause pain/tear limbs off. Also planned are thick skinned kicking mushrooms and soft-skinned webbing mushrooms. Defense mushrooms will not have grasping parts, for the most part.

-The military balance will tend towards mushrooms being highly expendable, but there will be several age categories with increased size as benefits for defense mushrooms that manage to survive for very long. An elder Teething Liverbane should be capable of biting dwarves in half, while an elder Pugilist Stalk will be capable of kicking dwarven limbs off. These will be hard to get and will only be able to rely on natural armor. Also: Stinkhorns, Club Fungi, and various other mushrooms taken to their most literal extent with DF modding.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 04:04:22 pm »

Okay that mod sounds almost as amazing as the Cutebold Kamp mod...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 04:07:16 pm »

Woah...

Talk about wierd trips while on shrooms.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*
Pages: [1] 2