Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Draining the OCEAN!  (Read 4426 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Draining the OCEAN!
« on: November 28, 2010, 08:54:18 am »

Well, not all of it.

I'm playing with a new megaproject, a huge glass powerplant sitting atop an ocean (using the ocean water to produce power) and I plan on building some necessary plumbing beneath the plant, just under the ocean's surface. What would be a good method of draining out the necessary section for an extended time? My two ideas are piping lava from the nearby volcano to make an obsidian levee of sorts, and pump out the water, or just make a ton of pumps to try and hold water away while my masons do what the need to do.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Draining the OCEAN!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:01:04 am »

I think that water could be drained through underground fortifications carved into edge of map. Don't quote me on this though.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:03:32 am »

I think that water could be drained through underground fortifications carved into edge of map. Don't quote me on this though.

Ah, here's the thing: I want to area refilled afterward, because the design requires it. It sources water directly from the ocean to power it, and dumps it back when a full shutdown is necessary.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:24:02 am »

a) Use pumps, lots of pumps
b) Try draining the ocean into the caverns
c) Both
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:35:19 am »

I've heard a tale of someone using one of those ever-burning lignite bins to cleanse the seas of water... but don't quote me on that.
Current Fort: NatureRags

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:38:19 am »

might also cleanse your fps...
This is a blank sig.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:57:40 am »

You need Urist McMoses.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:04 am »

Ah, here's the thing: I want to area refilled afterward, because the design requires it. It sources water directly from the ocean to power it, and dumps it back when a full shutdown is necessary.

Some elaborate floodgate mechanism to block water when you don't want it flowing?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:55:58 am »

Some elaborate floodgate mechanism to block water when you don't want it flowing?

It actually isn't complex.  Just build a door/floodgate/whatever and have it linked to a switch before you pierce the ocean.  Then, when you're done building whatever just flip the switch, the door closes, and the ocean refills.

You will most likely have to sacrifice one poor soul to pierce the ocean, and your fps is going to take a huge hit until it refills, but it'll work.  Also, the bottom layer of the ocean will be at 7/7 depth, so plan for that as well.

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »

You will most likely have to sacrifice one poor soul to pierce the ocean,

No, you won't. Simply dig a tunnel under ocean, and construct a floor/wall tile above this tunnel. Then cave this floor/wall in, so it will pierce bottom of the ocean right into the tunnel. No dwarf losses. :)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:52:27 pm »

dig a tunnel leading from the ocean to an aquifer with a hatch/floodgate blocking it.  open that sucker up and watch the ocean teleport away.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 06:19:31 pm »

I have a current fortress where I used the cave-in method.  I dug a large tunnel under the ocean that runs to map-edge fortifications.  I built a raising drawbridge wall before the fortifications, then dropped a constructed floor into the ocean to punch through into the tunnel.  I can drain the ocean through the fortifications, or raise the drawbridge to seal the drain and let the ocean refill.  This allowed me to build cage traps on the ocean floor so I could capture a breeding pair of sea serpents.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 06:23:09 pm »

Awesome, thanks. Putting together the draining method now.

EDIT: Holy crap, a draining ocean is a scary sight.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 06:36:33 pm by CapnUrist »

alpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 08:36:49 pm »

Awesome, thanks. Putting together the draining method now.

EDIT: Holy crap, a draining ocean is a scary sight.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »

Emptying the ocean through a fortification drain is slow.

Emptying the ocean using Dwarven Fire is faster.

Emptying the ocean into an aquifer is instantaneous.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2